Blu/HD DVD format war over before it starts?

Haha, I can see it now - the floodgates open and suddenly there are 16 competing formats, with new players adding in technologies with each generation...

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Clint DeBoer said:
Haha, I can see it now - the floodgates open and suddenly there are 16 competing formats, with new players adding in technologies with each generation...

Wouldn't that depend on the movie industry, for the movies at least, what they sign unto? Don't think they would support so many even with a universal player.

J

JonBaker99

Audioholic
Sweet now I just have to find some to buy my VHS/Beta Combo deck and my DVD-A/SACD player.

Am I the only one who at this point could care less about BlueRay and HD-DVD? It's not that I am not excited about the imporvements in video and audio quality but I am pissed beyond words that we are getting back into another format war that I believe probably won't end up mattering because of a lack of consumer support. The average 480 DVD is still so impressive to most customers that it will be years before there will be enough support to see either format suceed at a retail level. Strong retail sales are going to be what decides a single winner of the format war and I just can't see either format doing particularly well in the near future. Customers are too used to $100 DVD player and $10-$15 DVDs to care about the imrpovements of higher resolution video/audio.

Sorry just really irked by this whole thing. And even worse I am pissed because I am still really tempted to go out and buy an HD-DVD player. I hate this hobby:mad:

Mr.BBQ

Mr.BBQ

Enthusiast
I dont know....I'm still convinced its pretty much an even match between Blu-ray and HD DVD....though that was an interesting article.

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
All I want to see is universal players, those that play all known formats, come out at a reasonable price. Hopefully this will start by christmas ... fingers crossed. :)
I see consumers greatly benefiting from this due to,
1) The obvious cheaper players
2) Faster adoption of the new Blu/HD technologies
3) The format war will be on the other side of the fence, the movie industry/distributers.

#3 could make things interesting as movie industry support and DVD production costs (higher profits for the industry) will be key factors.

Steve

FierceTIMbo17

FierceTIMbo17

Audioholic
JonBaker99 said:
Sweet now I just have to find some to buy my VHS/Beta Combo deck and my DVD-A/SACD player.

Am I the only one who at this point could care less about BlueRay and HD-DVD? It's not that I am not excited about the imporvements in video and audio quality but I am pissed beyond words that we are getting back into another format war that I believe probably won't end up mattering because of a lack of consumer support. The average 480 DVD is still so impressive to most customers that it will be years before there will be enough support to see either format suceed at a retail level. Strong retail sales are going to be what decides a single winner of the format war and I just can't see either format doing particularly well in the near future. Customers are too used to $100 DVD player and $10-$15 DVDs to care about the imrpovements of higher resolution video/audio.

Sorry just really irked by this whole thing. And even worse I am pissed because I am still really tempted to go out and buy an HD-DVD player. I hate this hobby:mad:
Very Very true most people i know have a 30 cyberhome dvd player that they run composite to their tv and are amazed by how much better it is than their vcr.

The average consumer is who wins format wars and right now the average consumer is still watching a no hi def 27" sayno tube tv they got on sale at wally world. Most people still do not have Hi def tv, so why would they spend $1000 for a hi def dvd player

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis