5.1 DTS guy

Audioholic
Right now, im pretty pissed. I leave the room, and my dad walks in and turns from a dvd video input to the cable box video input, and wonders why there isn't sound (because the receiver input is still on DVD), and turns up the volume all the way on the receiver. Then, when I walk in, to switch the input real quick, the loudest, most distorted sound i've heard in a while emerged from my system. The receiver shut off automatically and when I turned it back on, a message appeared saying (check SP Wire). How do I know if the speakers are blown? I know those speakers can only support up to 100 Watts of power per channel, and I know my receiver outputs more than that. It sounds "ok" right now, but I don't know. How can I tell of any long term damage or blown speakers? Remember, the volume was up all the way.

JVC

JVC

Banned
My whole life, I've always heard that volume doesn't blow speakers. Distortion does. If they are sounding ok right now, they are probably ok. I think blown speakers would sound bad at any volume.......
Good luck!

5.1 DTS guy

Audioholic
JVC said:
My whole life, I've always heard that volume doesn't blow speakers. Distortion does. If they are sounding ok right now, they are probably ok. I think blown speakers would sound bad at any volume.......
Good luck!
Thanks for the fast reply. When the volume was up all the way it sounded pretty distorted, but I guess I would know if my speakers are blown. Better get out the swedish radio DTS cds I burnt in order to know for sure (they're my reference ;) ).

crippledchicken

crippledchicken

Enthusiast
your receiver protect circuit must work , it sounds like it did its job and your speakers should be fine.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I've done that more than once with more than one system and have never noticed any problems afterwards. It's not really that easy to blow a well built speaker.

5.1 DTS guy

Audioholic
I think my systems just fine, thanks for the piece of mind guys!

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I have blown a speaker, AND a subwoofer, and trust me, you will notice.

The subwoofer's voice coil snapped and it stopped moving, and the speakers surrounds literally disappeared. generally you will hear a buzz or lack of bass/detail.

If you don't see any damage, or hear anything unusual, its A O K. :)

SheepStar

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis