Blown Fuses? Rotel RA-1062 and RB-850

O

okay.see

Audioholic Intern
So...I made some new fancy speaker cables w/ banana plugs to terminate. Prior to this, it was just regular old twisted end copper cables. Everything was perfect. Anyway, now there's no sound. I think the banana pin type plugs touched at the back of my subs (where the clip style terminals are close together). This is my first time making speaker cable and I wasn't thinking that the metal housing of the banana plugs would be conducting. I assumed conductivity was contained inside, but that was an obvious mistake. At first, I actually had sound from the left channel (setup is RA-1062 as pre-amp ----> RB-850 [L] + RB-850 [R] ----> Sub [L] + Sub [R] ----> Speaker [L] + Speaker [R]). I think the metal housing of the banana plugs simply hadn't touched yet at the back of the subs. After they touched, no sound from anywhere.

Anyway, after some testing:
1) All amps power on
2) RB-850s still give power to switched power outlets on back
3) RA-1062 switches inputs
4) Connected headphones to pre-outs on RA-1062 and there's sound/music from all inputs (thank God!)
5) Unplugged and removed covers from all amps. They are immaculate with zero indication of leaks. Every single transistor, resistor, capacitor, and all the other things funny little plugs I don't know about look perfect.
6) It does appear the connector inside some of the fuses are broken
7) Power LED and Bridged-mono LED are out on (1) RB-850 (actually the left channel one that was giving me sound at first).

Could this be a simple matter of replacing fuses to get things working again? It seems the issue is in the speaker output stage, but I have no clue how to further diagnose that. Anyone have a crash coarse on using a voltammeter to test amp parts? I have the schematics for both amps, but how to read them is not my specialty. Again, no leaking or burned/discolored looking do-dads anywhere.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Could this be a simple matter of replacing fuses to get things working again? It seems the issue is in the speaker output stage, but I have no clue how to further diagnose that. Anyone have a crash coarse on using a voltammeter to test amp parts? I have the schematics for both amps, but how to read them is not my specialty. Again, no leaking or burned/discolored looking do-dads anywhere.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
If you couldn't smell anything right after the incident and found no visible sign then I would guess you can revive it by replacing the blown fuses.

If the fuses are glass type, you may be able to see the blown element, if you it is easy to find without with any cheap multimeter, set it to the resistant range to measure continuity (with the amp unplugged and fuse removed obviously). There are some big capacitors in the power supplies so don't touch anything internal after powering off, wait long enough for the caps to discharge!

According to the SM, those are 4 A fusels, two per channel.

1614601902028.png

O

okay.see

Audioholic Intern
There definitely wasn't any smell or any smoke. Although I couldn't read much of the schematic I was actually able to tell the fuses. I've purchased the 4A fuses for the RB850 and 6.3A fuses for the RA-1062. Thank you for the quick reply! And for the stern warning about the capacitors!

Last edited:
O

okay.see

Audioholic Intern
I replaced the blown fuses in the RB-850s. The LEDs that were out on one of them have come back on. I'll test the sound after I get fuse replacements for my pre-amp and see how it goes.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis