Blank cassette tape dilemma..

K

keithant

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I have a chance to buy a bulk amount of either Maxell XLII-S or TDK SA-X for the same price and i need some help choosing one or the other..No one in my area carry's either one so i cant audition one against the other so i would like to know what the general concensus is on which is the better blank cassette to spend my money on..So without trying either which tape sounds the best and holds up the best over the long haul..My deck is a Sony TC-KA3ES.Thanks for any help and opinnions..Peace,Keith H.</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>You might like to add Fuji to your list to as they have exceptional top end and are very reliable.

Nice to see I am not the only one still using tape.</font>

E

Eric

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I like the TDK-SA90 myself. Nice type-II cassette and not too thin - works well in a car tape player. The SA-X is a metal tape?</font>

K

keithant

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>SA-X is a high bias tape,it's a dual layered form of the SA tape.TDK MA and MA-X are metal tapes..Keith H.</font>

U

Unregistered

I would use xlII-s as sa-x seams more likely to get a running crease in it(tape looses highrange out put on the crease.I have had no trouble recording on xlII-s its shell and tape quality cant be beat.

R

rodmofi@aol.com

Ive recorded on cassettes for over 10 years.sa-x is the best sounding type two cassette.it is true that it develops bad running creases on the tape.Maxell cassettes dont use double spring pressure pads(wont matter with ka3es)and do a poor job of tracking in some walkmans.maxell sound real good and no defferant in the ka3es with the fact that sa-x has more highrange but not better!maxell will hold up better.wish metal tapes were still made

J

jjwinc

Audiophyte
maxell vs TDK

Have used both of these brands over the 20 plus years of recording music.I found the tdk-sa and the type 1 tape sound better in the car and last over the years.I have some music I recorded over the radio in the early 90,s and late 80,s that still sound great on TDK tape.I trust them. The TDK gives better highs on play back.And I find them more durable over the long haul.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis