BK Sub - XXLS400-DF or P12-300SB

M

MichalGocl

Audiophyte
Hello! It is my first post so allow me a short introduction. I am music and hifi enthusiast since my high school days, living in Salzburg, Austria. Currently my setup is: 2x100 W into 4Ohms amp (tube pre-amp, solid state amp) Shahinian Obelisk speakers, macbook laptop with pure music, bryston bda-2 or ifi nano idsd. 99% of my listening time is music. The listening room is quite big with the total volume of 145 cubic meters. (I enclose the layout). I would like to start my upgrades with a subwoofer plus room correction mike and then add a multichannel dac (to run speakers actively and play around with time alignment) and new speakers. Currently I am considering BK Sub - XXLS400-DF or P12-300SB and would like to hear your advice. I might add the second sub down the road, but right now I would like to hear the lower end and with more energy. My measurents with iphone have shown that currently the setup goes as low as 30Hz and as high as 15 kHz.

Michal
Screen Shot 2017-11-12 at 20.54.00.png

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's a very large room for a smallish single sub as you're comparing. I'd be thinking multiples of something of that size, or larger subs, maybe something like this XTZ http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/xtz-subwoofer-review

What is a room correction mic? There are measurement mics that can work with something like REW and a minidsp to implement eq/bass management. An avr or pre-pro might have room correction software to work with a mic as an alternative, and would have bass management as well. DAC is just a converter from digital to analog, sounds like you want some digital signal processing on top of that....

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
As your space is so big I would be looking for dual Monolith or Monolith plus from BK. XTZ tower would work as well but costs a lot more.

M

MichalGocl

Audiophyte
Thanks guys for you input. For the correction mic I will use minidsp UMIK, and will do the DSP in PureMusic software with the aid of FabFilters (either using aggregate device and multiple dacs or multichannel dac). I do not consider AVR - will stick to the integrated amp and active subwoofer. I understand that by your standards the subwoofers I look into are too small. However I suspect that adding 300 or 400 Wats and and 12inch driver will improve the bass over what I have. I also lean towards the sealed design as it should yield tighter and faster bass. Or am totally wrong in my assumptions?

Best

Michal

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Thanks guys for you input. For the correction mic I will use minidsp UMIK, and will do the DSP in PureMusic software with the aid of FabFilters (either using aggregate device and multiple dacs or multichannel dac). I do not consider AVR - will stick to the integrated amp and active subwoofer. I understand that by your standards the subwoofers I look into are too small. However I suspect that adding 300 or 400 Wats and and 12inch driver will improve the bass over what I have. I also lean towards the sealed design as it should yield tighter and faster bass. Or am totally wrong in my assumptions?

Best

Michal
Well designed ported sub will be just as tight and fast as any sealed sub. Your sub fills the whole area and so you need to take that in consideration when selecting sub for your space. Cabinet size and design affects quite a lot on subs performance.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis