Biwiring Question and driving RBH 4-ohm speakers on a Yamaha RX-V2600

H

HTHOLIC

Audioholic
Marty

Hey Marty, so you are saying to do the following:

Run bare wire to the woofer portion of the speakers and then have another short wire touch that wire that is going into the woofer section (+-).

Would it make a difference If I put it in the tweeter section first?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Hey Marty, so you are saying to do the following:

Run bare wire to the woofer portion of the speakers and then have another short wire touch that wire that is going into the woofer section (+-).

Would it make a difference If I put it in the tweeter section first?
Well, the wire and the short jumper is not totally bare, just where you need to make the connection at the terminals. Did you see that wonderful picture that was posted? I think it was seth-L
No, it doesn't matter where the wire from the amp goes first, the low end or the high end.

ps, let me see if this works :

Or, another option is banana plugs. There is a banana plug that can be plugged into another banana plug, if you have the room in the back.

H

HTHOLIC

Audioholic
Ill see if my WBT binding posts - I can obtain a picture, I'll see if they are the same.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Well, the wire and the short jumper is not totally bare, just where you need to make the connection at the terminals. Did you see that wonderful picture that was posted? I think it was seth-L
No, it doesn't matter where the wire from the amp goes first, the low end or the high end.

ps, let me see if this works :

Or, another option is banana plugs. There is a banana plug that can be plugged into another banana plug, if you have the room in the back.
This is become quite popular.:D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

This is become quite popular.:D
Hey, you did a great job of it, so why wouldn't it be popular, especially around here:D
Thanks. Just need to remember the picture location and how it is inserted.;)

H

HTHOLIC

Audioholic
If you can zoom in or say if its 1 or 2 wires

Are you using 2 wires or 1 wire?

The wire from the tweeter to the woofer connection connects
where?

Perhaps if you zoom in. My WBT is you put the wire in and then press down the knob. Its the WBT 0730 , http://www.wbtusa.com/pages/binding_posts.html

Are you just using a single wire that passes through both the tweeter and the woofer sockets?

Where does the short jumper attach , do the hole where you put the woofer (bottom sockets inside)?

When you screw down the WBT binding posts both the short jumper and the regular wire to the woofer socket should be covered right?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

where?

Perhaps if you zoom in. My WBT is you put the wire in and then press down the knob. Its the WBT 0730 , http://www.wbtusa.com/pages/binding_posts.html

Are you just using a single wire that passes through both the tweeter and the woofer sockets?

Where does the short jumper attach , do the hole where you put the woofer (bottom sockets inside)?

When you screw down the WBT binding posts both the short jumper and the regular wire to the woofer socket should be covered right?
Why don't you do this with that terminal:

It will accept banana plugs. Place banana plugs on the speaker wire from the amp to the speakers.
Run the jumper wire, ends stripped about 3/8" and tighten them down in the hole provided, on both terminals, high and low.

Or, place two wires into one of the holes, the wire from the amp and the other end of the jumper, then tighten. The jumper can be a smaller thickness as it is about 2" only.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord

where?

Are you asking me?

If you are indeed refering to the picture I made, there is one wire going from each binding post to the other to bridge the connection (Negative-negative and positive-positive)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Are you asking me?

If you are indeed refering to the picture I made, there is one wire going from each binding post to the other to bridge the connection (Negative-negative and positive-positive)
I think he wants to know if that wire is one continuous wire from the amp with the insulation stripped for one post but for that to happen, the insulated wire needs to pass through the hole in the terminal. If not possible, then you must have two individual sets of wires with the jumper being just a short section all by itself.
From the picture, it looks like the jumper is under the first barrel closes to the speaker box itself, then the wire from the amp in the usual hole, no?

H

HTHOLIC

Audioholic
So marty I can use one wire/

So I can use one wire if I want to?

These are expensive speakers, I don't want to short the wire/fuse or anything.

If I one wire and pass it through the hole is that possible, oh then the insulation would have to be on the wire to avoid a short between the terminals. I see

My confusion results on the wire from the tweeter to the woofer, referred to you as the short jumper - where does that connect to, does it connect to the same hole as the woofer terminals?

I appreciate your patience in assisting me, I do not want to use binding posts right now, as I have decided on a permanent location yet.

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

So I can use one wire if I want to?

These are expensive speakers, I don't want to short the wire/fuse or anything.

If I one wire and pass it through the hole is that possible, oh then the insulation would have to be on the wire to avoid a short between the terminals. I see

My confusion results on the wire from the tweeter to the woofer, referred to you as the short jumper - where does that connect to, does it connect to the same hole as the woofer terminals?

I appreciate your patience in assisting me, I do not want to use binding posts right now, as I have decided on a permanent location yet.

I understand the confusion. Not to worry.

I bet the original jumper was a thin plate that was attached under a barrel on each post and on top of the red and white insulation spacers.

Not a problem though, we'll get there.

I don't know the size of those holes in the post, not the center hole as that is made for banana connectors, but the one you pointed out.
Now, if your wire with the insulation fits through it, you could carefully cut the insulation about 2" from the end and about the length that approximates the diameter of that binding post. Also, cut about the same amount off the ends, twist the strands, pass the wire through one of the red posts until your bare wire about 2" back is in the hole, tighten it down. Attach the stripped end 2" away to the same colored post into the hole.
Do the same to the white post and the other speaker. This way, no exposed wire can short but you have bare wire in the holes to tighten and make electrical contact.

Or, as an alternative, cut of 2" or wire, one for each post, 2 speakers, 4 such short wires. Strip off about 3/8" as I am guessing that diameter, from each end, unscrew the posts to expose the holes. attache one wire to each like colors. Buy 4 banana plugs of your choice. I think your link to the binding post shows a 4mm banana connector. Attach to the ends of your speaker cable from the amp, and plug the wire that came from the red terminal of the amp to one of the center holes with the red spacer, doesn't matter the upper or lower. Do the same with the other 3 wires being consistent to match the colors with the amp. If the amp has black and red, connect the reds together and the left over colors together. You are set.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
If you would not object to using banana plugs you should have no problems. I would also think that you could order the straps from the same outfit you got the binding posts from. I would personally just put the wire in the small hole (after the binding post is raised to fit it in and then tightened so it doesn't come out) and use banana plug terminations for the connection to the amplifier. This simplifies things a great deal because you can leave the bridge wires in and disconnect the banana plug termination and move the speakers to where ever you would like. When I get home I will attempt to make a photo representation of what I mean. I will be home around 1:00 P.M. Central time.:)

H

HTHOLIC

Audioholic
I did it, however

Well, I did do something as marty said, and it appears to work, however it took me 3 Hours AND if I were to disconnect the speaker wire the wire may fall off.

Why, What i did was tighten the wire from the tweeter to the woofer while living some insulation in between,

The thing is threefold however

First, is that its hard to get between the posts to move your hand around and when I finally tightetn it , it took hours and so forth

Second, Well upon screwing down the binding post on the woofer (that is where the wire from the receiver goes in) -

The wire from the tweeter to the woofer is secured, but if I were to unscrew the wire the whole mess would start again,

Man I wish I could buy the plate jumpers. It is so much easier. I thank setl and marty- but looks can be deceiving,
I do not have a lot of room to work with, the speaker wire has to curve a bit.

This post is not over, as there is some issues, however , is there a diagram for the banana plugs and if I ever have to disconnect speaker wire would that be a problem?

hECK, i AM sometimes worried it may fall off as when I verified it did, the only thing keeping it together is the screwed down binding post along with the incoming wire from the amp of the receiver.​

I hate This. No wonder why RBH got rid of the WBT's , wait did they really get rid of it for that reason or Im not sure?

Last edited by a moderator:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Well, I did do something as marty said, and it appears to work, however it took me 3 Hours AND if I were to disconnect the speaker wire the wire may fall off.

Why, What i did was tighten the wire from the tweeter to the woofer while living some insulation in between,

The thing is threefold however

First, is that its hard to get between the posts to move your hand around and when I finally tightetn it , it took hours and so forth

Second, Well upon screwing down the binding post on the woofer (that is where the wire from the receiver goes in) -

The wire from the tweeter to the woofer is secured, but if I were to unscrew the wire the whole mess would start again,

Man I wish I could buy the plate jumpers. It is so much easier. I thank setl and marty- but looks can be deceiving,
I do not have a lot of room to work with, the speaker wire has to curve a bit.

This post is not over, as there is some issues, however , is there a diagram for the banana plugs and if I ever have to disconnect speaker wire would that be a problem?

hECK, i AM sometimes worried it may fall off as when I verified it did, the only thing keeping it together is the screwed down binding post along with the incoming wire from the amp of the receiver.​

I hate This. No wonder why RBH got rid of the WBT's , wait did they really get rid of it for that reason or Im not sure?
If you use just a short piece from the tweet to the woof, that would be permanent, more or less, as I don't know why you would play with them or remove them.
Then if you use a banana plug on your speaker cable from the am, that can be removed without upsetting the jumper.
No, I don't have a picture of one handy.
Just make sure the size of the pin is the size of the hole in the WBT which I believe is 3.5mm, if memory is correct but it is at their web site. Then just take a visit to a Radio Shack and pick up a pair or two to play with. RS is not that expensive.

What kind of space issues you have behind the speaker that a banana plug may not be suitable? There is a banana plug out there where the wire is connected to the banana plug at right angles into its middle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis