Big room but only place for one sub

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
So that

Cool. So what are we looking at here? Is that basically a huge "wall" you made with a 10" woofer in the opening and the "wall" acts as a huge box? Do you have a finished view of that?
No you are looking at an aperiodically damped transmission line speaker, which belongs to the Gedeckt family of organ pipes.

This system was built and designed at the request of my wife. They are relatively small speakers, but very potent and able to easily handle the 250 watts to each of the four speakers. Not that you would ever need that much power. The system basically coasts and is well within its limits at all times. It barely gets warm, and the thermostatically controlled cooling system has never activated.

I use TL designs frequently. It is my preferred method of loading speakers.

This is our theater.

The right and left speakers are very unusual containing two transmission lines wound inside each other tuned half an octave apart.

The center is also a TL.

The surrounds are sealed, but the rear backs are again dual TLs.

So I hope that answers your question.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
No you are looking at an aperiodically damped transmission line speaker, which belongs to the Gedeckt family of organ pipes.

This system was built and designed at the request of my wife. They are relatively small speakers, but very potent and able to easily handle the 250 watts to each of the four speakers. Not that you would ever need that much power. The system basically coasts and is well within its limits at all times. It barely gets warm, and the thermostatically controlled cooling system has never activated.

I use TL designs frequently. It is my preferred method of loading speakers.

This is our theater.

The right and left speakers are very unusual containing two transmission lines wound inside each other tuned half an octave apart.

The center is also a TL.

The surrounds are sealed, but the rear backs are again dual TLs.

So I hope that answers your question.
That is some impressive work! I just buy stuff off Harman mostly :) If i tried that it wouldn't be the same outcome

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Am I wrong in saying that's close to or is an Infinite Baffle subwoofer @TLS Guy ?
You are totally wrong. The TL is a modified stopped organ pipe. As I said it belongs to the Gedeckt family. So there is a node of displacement and an antinode of pressure at the closed end. At the open, port end, there is a node of pressure and an antinode of displacement. The pipe is tapered unlike an organ pipe to broaden the support frequency. Some organs do have some ranks of tapered Gedeckt organ pipes though, but they are more usually straight. Gedeckt pipes are always made of wood, with the tuning slide at the closed end obviously. The speaker is placed close to the closed end, but at a the node of the odd harmonics. A closed pipe can not reproduce even harmonics. The damping is crucial for a tight low Q bass and has to be precisely calculated. Pipe length is related to driver F3 and pipe volume to driver VAS.

It makes for a highly efficient loading of the driver with really good control of driver displacement. So it is an efficient transformer of pressure at the driver to air displacement at the port. Since it is an organ pipe fundamentally, it exhibits what organ builders call encircling. This means it produces a very even volume throughout the space. So it is an ideal and efficient loading for large spaces. It is not for nothing the organ is the King of Instruments.

E

edben

Audiophyte
I have both the Paradigm Defiance X12 and a SVS SB3000. With the down firing port on the X12, it may give you the loading you want. The X15 is the big brother to the X12 and was well reviewed here. The Martin Logan just won’t be able to do the job.

the above link should be good
Excellent thanks
Paradigm seems a good option ! I dont think i can get the x15 ill have to make a model one with boxes to see if the wife accept a 24/24/24 box in the main living room lol
like the TL diy lool

E

edben

Audiophyte
Yo
It seems we really do need a TL sub on the market. We were decorating the Christmas tree in our large open great room space on Saturday. My wife decided it was time for Christmas carols. So I put on a disc from Kings College on my DIY in wall system. That single 10" driver TL loaded filled the whole space uniformly with high spl, and authority. Yes, the bass pedals made our chests vibrate. It filled the space with clean deep bass with no sweat using little power. This convinced me yet again, this whole sub concept needs rethinking. That sub could also be placed behind pretty much any couch out of sight, as it has little depth. One 10" driver and no huge mega amps, filling a very large space and uniformly with no sweat or fuss with the highest quality clean low Q bass.

That basically harnesses technology that goes back over 2000 years to Greece and Old Byzantium. The more we think we know, the more we forget.
Do you plans for that? i have a 10 inch dayton rs265 44 Lying around and a crown xls 1502 I would like to try that box xD
Thanks

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Yo

Do you plans for that? i have a 10 inch dayton rs265 44 Lying around and a crown xls 1502 I would like to try that box xD
Thanks
Yes, I do. It is a phenomenally good sub. Better than that, all the dimensions are still if the computer of the cutting machine at A & K cabinets in Albany Minnesota. I'm sure that the owner would be happy to send you a flat pack of the boards, or may be ship you the complete structure. However the design makes the cabinet very easy to put together.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis