Big Band recordings (or large group) with particularly nice recording quality/production v

W

woensl.itis

Audioholic
Hello all,

I am looking for some big band albums that have particularly good production value. Nonets and octets and stuff are good, too. For instance, Joe Lovano's "Streams of Expression" is a fantastically produced album, imo.

Anyway, what do you guys know of?

P

Pat D

Audioholic
I am not much into big bands but In the Digital Mood with a group calling itself The Glenn Miller Orchestra, GRP-D-9502, recorded in 1983, is very well recorded and the performances are very fine. Julius LaRosa did a couple of vocals and we have some whistling by Mel Torme. CDs were rather short in those days, this one is 34:25, so I would get the cheaper version linked here. There is a Gold version with one extra number, though.

Amazon.com: In the Digital Mood: Glenn Miller Orchestra: Music

I have a couple of compilations from the analog era, but the sound seems very good to me. They are also early CDs, but London knew how to properly transfer the analog recordings to the digital medium very early on so the sound quality is quite good.

The Golden Trumpet of Harry James, London 820 178-2 Length 34:56 This is available cheaply.

Amazon.com: Golden Trumpet: Music

Swingtime, with the orchestras of Harry James, Benny Goodman, and Stan Kenton, on London 820 044-2 Length 52:29 This can also bet obtained relatively cheaply.

Amazon.com: Swingtime (The Big Band Sound of Harry James, Benny Goodman & Stan Kenton): Music

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
The best big band album I have is the Harry James sessions from the 1970s on the Sheffield label, a 3 CD boxed set. The problem is that it's out of production, and used copies are going for $65.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis