BiAmp via PreOut [emoji2962]

M

Mayo2dockside

Enthusiast
Hey Guys,

If I used my preout on my Marantz receiver centre channel to a power amp/ integrated Amp. Can I use the receiver speaker posts plus the power amps assigned centre channel speakers post to BiAmp. I can do this on the receiver but that’s at the expense of my height channels. If this is possible can I do the same for my from L & R also.

I have a Marantz SR7011 & am looking at a Emotiva BasX A-700 to achieve this. Any help would be appreciated and thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
M

Mayo2dockside

Enthusiast

Hopefully this makes sense to you guys

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Passive bi-amping is what doesn't make sense in the first place. Just buy a more powerful 7ch amp if you think the avr isn't sufficient. There's a second problem of gain matching the different amps.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
We followed in the other thread. It's the majority opinion that your overcomplicating this. Keep your connections to the minimum. Passive Bi amping off the same power supply is worthless, biamping off of two different makes of amps dosent work. Use the KISS method

Loving beat me to it

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hopefully you didn't get sucked down the buy-wire route and feel a burning need to employ it.... :)

M

Mayo2dockside

Enthusiast
Thanks, point taken and lesson learned. I’ll keep me money in my pocket for the time being lol. I don’t really want to buy a new AVR for awhile as I’ve not long had the one I’ve got. Is introducing power amps to my system pointless regardless? I Mean if I purchased individual power amps and then used preouts to increase the power to my sound stage. Say a crown XLS 1502 and then went from the centre channel preout and just powered that one speaker single wired, would that make a change or still pointless? Is changing my AVR the best solution?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks, point taken and lesson learned. I’ll keep me money in my pocket for the time being lol. I don’t really want to buy a new AVR for awhile as I’ve not long had the one I’ve got. Is introducing power amps to my system pointless regardless? I Mean if I purchased individual power amps and then used preouts to increase the power to my sound stage. Say a crown XLS 1502 and then went from the centre channel preout and just powered that one speaker single wired, would that make a change or still pointless? Is changing my AVR the best solution?

If you need the headroom or want to off load some work, it's all good. I personally have the front 3 in my HT seperate amped, it's been that way thru a couple of AVR upgrades

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

You have a nice avr. What problem are you trying to solve with additional amplification? Is there an audible issue? What speakers do you have? What is their impedance/sensitivity characteristics? How far away are you sitting from them? What spl goals do you have? What master volume setting on your calibrated avr are you listening at? These are the factors that would be more worthy of analysis than simply throwing amps at them. The difference in power between various avrs tends to be negligible and yours already has good power for an avr. A power amp twice as powerful will gain you 3dB spl but as was mentioned offloading work from the avr to an external amp isn't a bad thing, can add longevity by reducing heat in the avr. Hard to know what you "need" let alone "want" so far :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Mayo, what you mentioned in your other thread was wanting to set up Auro. You also said you already have Atmos set up, and wanted to expand it and want different speaker layouts to do so, right?

It might help us all if you elaborated on your goals and aspirations for all this, too. ;) Is there enough Auro content for you that it really makes sense to master both set ups?

Thanks, point taken and lesson learned.
The best advice has been given, and I'm glad (hopefully) you're on board with it! ;)

M

Mayo2dockside

Enthusiast
Mayo, what you mentioned in your other thread was wanting to set up Auro. You also said you already have Atmos set up, and wanted to expand it and want different speaker layouts to do so, right?

It might help us all if you elaborated on your goals and aspirations for all this, too. ;) Is there enough Auro content for you that it really makes sense to master both set ups?

The best advice has been given, and I'm glad (hopefully) you're on board with it! ;)
Hey Ryan,

The Auro 3D is more than just Atmos and DTS X as far as the up mix is superb. The music up mix is equally as good, but I took your point from the other thread that I maybe over complicating my system.

So I thought I’d see if I could get more out of the set up I already have by looking at BiAmping my sound stage for the best possible sound. Now listening to the guys I now know it’s a pointless exercise. Passive BiAmping is a waste, adding more speakers may cause other issues and BiAmping gives very little gain due to using the same power source.

I’m going to leave my system as is (7.2.4) and just add 3 decent power amps to my front LR&C channels and leave the rest as it is. I may look at a higher calibre Centre channel speaker as I’m fairly happy with my R&L.

I started this thread as I’ve accepted that from yours and others advise in the last thread it’s pointless perusing Auro 3D. So this was my next line of thought and this is also pointless, it’s good that there are so mane enthusiasts your side of the pond to teach me

Thank you guys for all your assistance

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Wasn't trying to sweat you, man. ;) Just trying to figure out where we can help you out!
Tell us about your rig... know your on a Marantz sr7011.
What are your speakers right now? There's not much more than we love doing here than helping people figure out where to spend their money! :p
As far as Auro goes, there's not much here for us in the States, at least not yet. But if there's something not quite right in your rig, maybe we can help you out there! :)

Cheers!

M

Mayo2dockside

Enthusiast
Wasn't trying to sweat you, man. ;) Just trying to figure out where we can help you out!
Tell us about your rig... know your on a Marantz sr7011.
What are your speakers right now? There's not much more than we love doing here than helping people figure out where to spend their money! :p
As far as Auro goes, there's not much here for us in the States, at least not yet. But if there's something not quite right in your rig, maybe we can help you out there! :)

Cheers!
At present I have Monitor Audio silver 2’s L&R, Silver Centre. I have MA Bronze FX Dipole surrounds and MA Bronze 2 rears. I have Kef Subwoofers, the front speakers are set to 80Hz, Main + LFE and all the rest at 100Hz. I also have a set of MA Bronze 2 as high wides at the moment as I need to get my Celling speakers cut into the Celling. For my Celling speakers I have MA C265 FX for above the listening point and the larger MA C380 FX as the other Celling speakers. I may need to rerun the calibration again to see if makes difference.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
At present I have Monitor Audio silver 2’s L&R, Silver Centre. I have MA Bronze FX Dipole surrounds and MA Bronze 2 rears. I have Kef Subwoofers, the speakers are set to 80Hz front Main + LFE and all the rest at 100Hz. I also have a set of MA Bronze 2 as high wides at the moment as I need to get my Celling speakers cut into the Celling. For my Celling speakers I have MA C265 FX for above the listening point and the larger MA C380 FX. I may need to rerun the calibration again.

Your sending lfe+main to bookshelves?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey Ryan,

The Auro 3D is more than just Atmos and DTS X as far as the up mix is superb. The music up mix is equally as good, but I took your point from the other thread that I maybe over complicating my system.

So I thought I’d see if I could get more out of the set up I already have by looking at BiAmping my sound stage for the best possible sound. Now listening to the guys I now know it’s a pointless exercise. Passive BiAmping is a waste, adding more speakers may cause other issues and BiAmping gives very little gain due to using the same power source.

I’m going to leave my system as is (7.2.4) and just add 3 decent power amps to my front LR&C channels and leave the rest as it is. I may look at a higher calibre Centre channel speaker as I’m fairly happy with my R&L.

I started this thread as I’ve accepted that from yours and others advise in the last thread it’s pointless perusing Auro 3D. So this was my next line of thought and this is also pointless, it’s good that there are so mane enthusiasts your side of the pond to teach me

Thank you guys for all your assistance

If you want the ability to switch between 7.1.4 Auro3D and Atmos quickly, one low cost and simple solution is to get the AVR-X8500H. It is the only AVR that can process 13 channels, making it convenient to configure enough speakers for both Auro3D and Atmos.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis