N

Nad Fan

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>My old speakers were Boston Accoustics and only had a traditional set of posts. &nbsp;I just purchased a new system which included PBS 5Ts. They come with double posts. &nbsp;I had heard about bi wiring but was skeptical. &nbsp;I wired the towers the traditional way and then decided to give bi wiring a try. &nbsp;I picked up a set of Straight bi wire speaker cables. I had to solder the banana plugs at the speaker end. &nbsp;After I hooked them up I noticed an imediate change. &nbsp;My wife even said they sound more &quot;powerful&quot;. &nbsp;What causes this effect? &nbsp;I read an explaination on one web site that stated that no one really knows why this is. &nbsp;I also read on another site that one reason is because you get rid of that cheap &quot;jumper strap&quot;. Any comments here on personal experience with bi wiring?</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>What you just discovered was that bi-wiring works for you. This is the same experience with me. I found it made a significant difference to my Yamaha speakers which do come with heavy duty gold plated binding straps. Bi-wiring opened up the top end even better. Also the speakers began to exhibit better soundstage.

There are two opinions on this and both of them have their sceintific connotations. Some also say that the difference heard is more psychological but to me the difference was there to justify it. Instead of getting exotic inter-connects, this to me is a much better move. I have been bi-wiring my speakers since the dbx Soundfield-I days and have never looked back.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Have you also had experience with bi-amping? &nbsp;I'm thinking about adding a separate multi channel amp to my 5.1 receiver through the pre-outs. &nbsp;Is bi-amping significantly better than bi-wiring or is it so subtle you'd have to switch back and forth to notice. &nbsp;I'm considering either the Anthem MCA5 (5x170w/c or PVA7(7x105w/c). &nbsp;So, what would be better...bi-wiring with the MCA5 or bi-amping with the PVA7, since it has two extra channels? &nbsp;Thanks.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I have biwired my Linn Katans and notice no significant difference in sound. I don't know of any scientific data or theory that would suggest how biwiring could improve the sound, but many people are satisfied that it does, so suck it and see...

Bi-amping is something else, and there are good physical reasons why it may provide a better sound.</font>

N

Nad Fan

Audiophyte
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Guest : <font color='#000000'>Have you also had experience with bi-amping?  I'm thinking about adding a separate multi channel amp to my 5.1 receiver through the pre-outs.  Is bi-amping significantly better than bi-wiring or is it so subtle you'd have to switch back and forth to notice.  I'm considering either the Anthem MCA5 (5x170w/c or PVA7(7x105w/c).  So, what would be better...bi-wiring with the MCA5 or bi-amping with the PVA7, since it has two extra channels?  Thanks.</font>
<font color='#000000'>I would imagine from a physics standpoint that bi amping would be the route to go. &nbsp;carful though, do your &nbsp;research! &nbsp;Type Biamping into Google and search search search. &nbsp;I have heard that you have to be careful to match the right amps for this. &nbsp;The cheaper rought is to bi wire that nice amp you are buying. &nbsp;Bi &nbsp;wire your towers with a set of straight wire bi wire cables ($115). &nbsp;and see what you hear. http://www.straightwire.com/. &nbsp;You will have &nbsp;to solder the banana plugs on the speaker ends. &nbsp;And &nbsp;of course make sure you wire in phase! &nbsp;Both positives to positive etc..</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis