Bi-wired vs conventional.

A. Vivaldi

A. Vivaldi

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>What do those here at Audioholics think about bi-wired speakers vs conventional? Does bi-wiring offer superior sound quality?</font>

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
<font color='#000000'>Bi-wiring enables the dealer to sell you twice as much overpriced cable.

See the '10 Biggest Lies' article on my Webpage (address in signature).</font>

R

RX-V2400

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I just bi-wired my Yamaha NS-555's and I can not hear any difference.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Ive never tried it before. Is bi-wiring the same as bi-amping? Or is it just running 2 sets of wires from the same output?</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Outstanding. I'm not an EE, but have an extensive electronics background &amp; yet have found myself, at times, nearly falling for a lot questionable logic when it comes to audio setup. Especially wiring. I have always understood that providing a path of least resistance is the surest way to get a signal from pt. A to pt. B. w/o excess degradation. For wiring speakers, I use a finely stranded (for workability), 10 gauge wire. The only precaution I use is to try to avoid running them parallel with any AC wiring as this could cause a humm in the speakers due to induction.
I dont have any top-of -the-line equipment but I'm not using absolute crap either. So far,I haven't found the need to spend excess $ on cabling or wiring to achieve quality audio/video. It's great that there is a forum such as this that one can learn about (and thus dispell) some ruses that await us when searching for our audio/video nirvana( at least the best that we can afford).

Thanks Audioholics &amp; all contributors.</font>

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
<font color='#000000'>Gene -- PM'd you. I'm not the author.</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>Thanks Rip, I got that. &nbsp;Too bad you're not the author
&nbsp;I would love to add those articles to our cable data base. &nbsp;Perhaps I will at least link to your website. &nbsp;You have great content there!</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
goodman

goodman

Full Audioholic
<font color='#CCCCCC'>Thank you, Rip, for the tip on Peter Aczel, and the articles he writes for the Audio Critic. &nbsp;What do you guys, particularly Gene and Rip, think of Richard Hardesty, formerly of Wide Screen Review, and his Audio Perfectionist Journal?</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I recent purchased a pair of Cambridge Soundworks Towers on closeout (under $800 for the pair plus the matching Center Stage)- an amazing deal at the price.

I've been reading up on the cables, and if I'm understanding, a high quality zip cable such as Sound King is about as good as anything.  I happened to have about 50 ft. of quality 12 ga laying around and thus was able to bi-wire at no cost.  I can't speak to how good they might sound with just straight connections, but if your speakers are bi-wireable, and considering that it really costs very little to do it, I figure that it does no harm, and might do some good.  I would not have considered the ability to bi-wire a deal breaker when speaker shopping however.

I've never heard anything that might indicate that bi-wiring would degrade the sound. 

I would never consider spending $200 for a commercial bi-wire assembly.

I have to admit that even with my low end Onkyo receiver, these speakers sound very good indeed.  I might mention that I grew up listening to live classical music, love jazz, and have auditioned a number of high end speakers including Paradigm (my first choice for a speaker upgrade, until the Tower deal came along) and B&amp;W's- and would consider these Towers to be in the class.  My next major purchase will most likely be the Yamaha RX-V2400, as I have a difficult room (a loft with an irregular shape), which should likewise make them sound even better.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis