Bi-wire brass couplers - should they be replaced

edwelly

edwelly

Full Audioholic
Hello all... You know the little brass thingies that connect the binding post terminals, should it be replaced with some speaker wire or is it ok the way it is?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I think they are gold plated, not brass.

And why? Terminations make a more mechanically secure connection then wire.

Lastly, Biwire does absolutely nothing to enhance the sound, so I hope you didn't pay alot for it..

SheepStar

edwelly

edwelly

Full Audioholic
Sheep said:
Lastly, Biwire does absolutely nothing to enhance the sound, so I hope you didn't pay alot for it..

SheepStar
they came with the speakers... I was just curious as I thought copper might be a better conductor than brass...

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
edwelly said:
they came with the speakers... I was just curious as I thought copper might be a better conductor than brass...
Well I think its gold. I don't think any speaker terminations are brass.

They should be fine.

What about your DIY cables?

SheepStar

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
edwelly said:

That short piece of metal, whatever it is, certainly not solid gold or you pay more for that than the speaker:D , its short length, size and bulk will minimize the resistance, so don't worry about it. If you want, take it out and measure its cross sectional area and we could figure an equivalent gauge size.

edwelly

edwelly

Full Audioholic
I installed the CAT5 cables I made and to be honest, I hear a brighter sound - HOWEVER , I am not sure it is the wire or the stands I built since i did both of these at the same time. I am going to play with it some more tomorrow and see waht the difference is...

edwelly

edwelly

Full Audioholic
I got some Canare 4S11 cable and I am thinking about making something like this to try as well. I honestly see no reason that this would cause any issues although I am not expecting any real benefit either.

ht_addict

ht_addict

Audioholic
edwelly said:
Hello all... You know the little brass thingies that connect the binding post terminals, should it be replaced with some speaker wire or is it ok the way it is?
Try taking a magnet to the plate and see if it sticks. I've heard that if it does its not good. Personally I made some out off extra 10AWG speaker wire and banana plugs I had lying around.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
It was the stands.

edwelly said:
I installed the CAT5 cables I made and to be honest, I hear a brighter sound - HOWEVER , I am not sure it is the wire or the stands I built since i did both of these at the same time. I am going to play with it some more tomorrow and see waht the difference is...
Trust me on this one.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
How much is that canar stuff? Still got money left over for another PB-10ISD? :rolleyes:

SheepStar

edwelly

edwelly

Full Audioholic
Sheep said:
How much is that canar stuff? Still got money left over for another PB-10ISD? :rolleyes:

SheepStar
The canare stuff was les than $20 and nope, no money left for another PB10 - still trying to decide on speakers or amp replacement first - the PB10 is a "for sure" thing for next year though...

edwelly

edwelly

Full Audioholic
markw said:
Trust me on this one.
I think you are right but I still want to verifiy with switching around the cables just to make sure. The CAT5 cables doo look nice though...

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Sheep said:
Well I think its gold. I don't think any speaker terminations are brass.

They should be fine.

What about your DIY cables?

SheepStar
Sheep, they're brass. Gold would cost too much. The binding posts are gold-plated but the straps are brass. And while brass isn't as conductive as copper, the straps would still have very small resistive losses.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis