G

George

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Firstly, I would like to know from any others out there, if there are real sonic benefits to bi amplification. If you have a pretty good power amp, then is there any benefit to biamping.
Secondly, with a speaker that has 4 binding posts, do you just connect up as you would a normal biwire, or would you have to go into the innards and separate the crossover internally?
Is my assumption correct that you would have to use an external crossover(active) to separate the signals to the power amp prior to supplying the speakers?
Looking forward to some help,
George.</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>Certainly there would be a difference if you are using two seperate amps. Remove the connector on the four post. No need for a seperate crossover. One set of post is for the tweets/mids &amp; tweets. And the other is for the woofer/mid-woofer.</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#8D38C9'>Biamping can make a world of differnce. &nbsp;Naturally you must be careful- you have to be sure the speakers are biampable, then be sure to remove the shorting strip between the binding posts.</font>

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
George : <font color='#000000'>Is my assumption correct that you would have to use an external crossover(active) to separate the signals to the power amp prior to supplying the speakers?
Looking forward to some help,
George.</font>
<font color='#000000'>Yes. Biamping is of slight or dubious value otherwise.

Although they get pretty techy, see:

Benefits of Bi-Amping

and:

Active Crossovers</font>

G

George

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Does this entail getting inside the speaker and disengaging the passive crossover inside or is just connection to the binding posts outside(with the connectors removed) adequate?
Would an external crossover such as the X 30 from Paradigm work(I have two which came with the Servo 15's), if so how would you connect them?
Pre-External Xovers-two power amps-speakers. Must the power amps be exactly the same?
I did read the article from esp(benefits of bi-amping), but was not able to get clarity regarding the internal crossover issue(perhaps too technical for my knowledge), secondly, speaking to my local hi fi dealer, he says if you have an adequate(very good) power amp, then benefits are questionable. Is this true or could he be encouraging me to buy a Levinson amp(which he is the importer of).
Thanks,
George.</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis