Bi amp "cuz I can" Q

Will Brink

Will Brink

Audioholic
Was not sure where to post this. I'm not doing HT these days but have an excellent Tag McLaren 5x100r amp. Right now I'm using 2 channels for 2 channel listening. I had a thought to do a passive bi amp and use 2 more channels. More in the "cuz i can" category than expectations of major sonic improvements per se. What I would get is more juice to the speakers at least, but again, not expecting major improvements but more power - all things being equal - never a be thing I figure. Other than the signal spliiters and speaker runs, not a major added cost to use those additional channels doing nothing.

Another possibily I believe that amp allows is bridging the amps, so another possible option.

That, or I was consider selling it (along with the pre amp/pro) and getting a good 2 channel integrated with 150-200wpch.

I was unsure if horizontal vs vertical bi amp would matter in such a set up.

Thoughts/advice?

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Was not sure where to post this. I'm not doing HT these days but have an excellent Tag McLaren 5x100r amp. Right now I'm using 2 channels for 2 channel listening. I had a thought to do a passive bi amp and use 2 more channels. More in the "cuz i can" category than expectations of major sonic improvements per se. What I would get is more juice to the speakers at least, but again, not expecting major improvements but more power - all things being equal - never a be thing I figure. Other than the signal spliiters and speaker runs, not a major added cost to use those additional channels doing nothing.

Another possibily I believe that amp allows is bridging the amps, so another possible option.

That, or I was consider selling it (along with the pre amp/pro) and getting a good 2 channel integrated with 150-200wpch.

I was unsure if horizontal vs vertical bi amp would matter in such a set up.

Thoughts/advice?
You will get insignificantly more juice to your speakers, as the top end has little power demand. All the power is in the low pass. So your power increase probably will not be even 1 db. So it is a waste of time and wire.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis