Better than Monster Cables, for less

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
The following is my wholehearted, sincere, contribution to anyone considering purchasing Monster brand interconnects.

Monster Cables have succeeded by preying on the unknowing, so in the case of this company, knowledge truly is power. Few people will argue that Monster's products are bad, but that's only half of what you need to know. The important thing to understand about this company is the that cables of like quality need not be as expensive as what they charge. Monster Cables are in esscense a poor value, since they are overpriced. Monster would have you believe in a general stereophile ideology that cable pricing should be commensurate with the price of your equiptment, which is simply not true. I honestly wouldn't replace the quality built interconnects in my sysrem regardless of changes in my budget or equiptment. The reason is simple, any possible increases created by another brand of cables perfomance would NOT be audible.

There are certainly cables out there of lesser durabiltiy, and with less shielding, and poorer quality connectors than Monster, but there are also cables out there with equal and better quality at a lower price!

In my search for such a cable, I found Phoenix Gold's reference series cables to be the best combination of flexibilty, impedence accuracy, shielding, construction, and price. You can find these at Parts Express among other places. I welcome other suggestions, as I'm sure there are other cables which have similar properties, that are better values than what Monster can offer.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
Amen. Amen.

The Phillips Gold series for interconnects is a great value at your local Walmart. The most expensive set, the 3 composite cables, runs less than twenty bucks. They are well-shielded look pretty cool and do an outstanding job. You can pick up a set of these and about 6 Superbit DVD's for the same price of an equivalent MoCa...

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

For computer & video cables, I highly recommend Pacific Cable. They'll make pretty much any length up for you for not much extra, their products are very well made, and the prices are absurdly low. For instance, I needed a 25' run of component cables to feed a ceiling mounted FPTV- Pacific sold me their PYTHON component cables in that length for $26! Price that from Monster. :rolleyes: I also bough a couple 100' lengths of CAT6 cable for $21, and you can pick from 6 colors. Their service is awesome and the prices are untouchable.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I used Phoenix Gold cables in car audio. High quality stuff. Actually, I am using one from one of my old systems to connect my cd player to my receiver. :)

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

A/B Test

I have done an A/B test with my Phoenix Gold interconnects and a similar Monster Cable product. The Monster Cable 1 meter stereo cable (I beleive came from the Interlink 300 series) were purchased years ago before I knew of any other options. Their price at that time was approx. $60 for a set of 1 meter A/v Cables. The Phoenix Gold 1 meter stereo cables were bought last week at work for $16 (retail is approx $25). (Found HERE )
I have to say after several CDs from different genres and switching from direct mode to Multi-channel in I was unable to detect any audible difference between the different cables.

To summerize..I don't think Monster makes a bad product either. I will say I bought 3 sets of Phoenix Gold cable for the same price as the monster. The choice is easy if you ask me.

J

JPW

Junior Audioholic
I have been very happy with Acoustic Research cables. I really like the PR-130 3 meter audio cables. A Best Buy in my book. These are available several places including Parts Express. I buy mine from www.accessories4less.com.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis