Better than Bowers + Wilkins CM 5s

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Wondering what, in the same price range, you think are better bookshelf speakers ?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Objectively (on-axis & off-axis frequency response, resale value, etc.) or Subjectively (personal preference, pride of ownership, etc.) ?

In terms of resale value and pride of ownership, B&W is up there in the food chain.

But they are towards the bottom of the food chain in terms of speaker measurement.

So if you don't care at all about how well they measure, then just buy what subjectively sounds good.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
But they are towards the bottom of the food chain in terms of speaker measurement.
This isn't a great set of measurements, but it isn't bottom of the food chain either. It's OK. For the price, however, yeah, you can do a lot better, in terms of accuracy. I would be looking at Wharefedale Jade speakers in this price range, KEF LS50s, Ascend Sierra 2s, Polk LSiM703s, Philharmonic Philharmonitors. You might also give powered monitors a try, and look at the Emotiva Stealth 8s.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
This isn't a great set of measurements, but it isn't bottom of the food chain either. It's OK. For the price, however, yeah, you can do a lot better, in terms of accuracy. I would be looking at Wharefedale Jade speakers in this price range, KEF LS50s, Ascend Sierra 2s, Polk LSiM703s, Philharmonic Philharmonitors. You might also give powered monitors a try, and look at the Emotiva Stealth 8s.
And this one from Dennis also. Stand mounted and good bass extension. Depending on spl needs, this one also.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Looks to me from the measurements that the CM5 isn't exactly B&W's "shining star", eh? I haven't heard them but compared to those of the LS50 or even the lower-priced R100 from KEF, the Philharmonic BMR (a little more money), Sierra 2 or others mentioned it's pretty rough.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
This isn't a great set of measurements, but it isn't bottom of the food chain either.
It's towards the bottom of the FR food chain compared to other $1600 bookshelf from KEF, Revel, RBH, PSB, Ascend, Paradigm, Salk, etc.

The point is, no current B&W speakers have good FR measurements compared to KEF, Revel, JBL, Infinity, RBH, PSB, Paradigm, etc.

But compared to Bose and Zu Audio, B&W do look much better.

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
What do think about Wharfdale Jade 3? How about KEF300s? Would a sub be needed?
I have a SVS PB2000 which I like very much.

The reason I ask is I've read the reviews and take them with a grain of salt. Those people want to
stay on the speaker makers good side.

I trust the people here to give me their honest opinion and real world experience. Speakers sound different in a home verses a store sound room.

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
What do think about Wharfdale Jade 3? Would a sub be needed?
A sub is never needed. It's wanted by those who want high quality low end performance. There are very few speakers capable of producing LFE good enough to compete with a sub. You won't find them in a bookshelf form factor because quality bass requires larger enclosures.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis