Best way to turn stereo signal into mono?

D

derekwwww

Audioholic
My bathroom is going to only have one speaker since it is a small room. The speaker I have isnt a dual tweeter speaker with the L and R speaker hook ups to make the single speaker a stereo and take both channels. It is just one speaker from a L and R set. What is the best way to take the stereo signal from the zone output on the receiver and turn it in to a mono signal with just a single RCA instead of a L and R?

Thanks

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
My bathroom is going to only have one speaker since it is a small room. The speaker I have isnt a dual tweeter speaker with the L and R speaker hook ups to make the single speaker a stereo and take both channels. It is just one speaker from a L and R set. What is the best way to take the stereo signal from the zone output on the receiver and turn it in to a mono signal with just a single RCA instead of a L and R?

Thanks
It's not as simple as connecting the two + leads to the speaker, unfortunately. The easiest way is to use a separate amp with a Mono switch. You can buy a summing network, but those are usually for line level, not speaker level.

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
You could just buy a stereo speaker. That might be the simplest and cheapest solution.
Of course, I'm assuming all wires haven't been run yet.

-pat

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thanks
That is not a simple problem to solve. You can not combine two speaker channels or the amps will blow right away.

The suggestion of using an amp with a mono switch would work. You could also use you pre outs if your receiver has them. However if you use a simple Y connector you will have mono through out, since pre outs are not usually buffered. So to use them you would have to build buffer amps for each L & R preout and then sum the output of the buffer amps to mono. Then you could use a powered speaker. You would need an AC outlet to plug the speaker into. You might be able to find a headphone mixer, that would work as your buffer amp.

D

derekwwww

Audioholic
I would prefer to turn the RCA signal in to a mono signal as I have a mono amp to run the speaker. If I cant find some way to do that then I guess I will find a vintage receiver with the mono switch.

Thanks

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I would prefer to turn the RCA signal in to a mono signal as I have a mono amp to run the speaker. If I cant find some way to do that then I guess I will find a vintage receiver with the mono switch.

Thanks
I will try and find you something later, that could be pressed into service as buffer amps. Behringer had a device that was just the ticket, but it is now discontinued. I have a lot to do, so I will look into it later.

OttoMatic

OttoMatic

Senior Audioholic

Thanks
You could use any type of cheap little mixer. What's your budget? I was doing something like that with a Peavey mixer, and I think it was about $80. If you're interested, I might be interested in selling it; I was using it exactly as you would to solve your problem and it worked fine.

Or, if you have need for parametric EQ, you could get a Behringer DCX2496, use two inputs for the issue you're trying to solve here, and the other remaining input to EQ your sub.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
It will be the easiest to convert to mono while it's still line level. Many old receivers and integrated amplifiers had this function built in. Hit up garage sales, flea markets, pawn shops, and thrift stores. You may find something as inexpensive as $10-20 that will serve it's purpose to power one lone speaker.:)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord

Thanks
I guess I didn't read the whole thread. Best of luck.:D

highfigh

highfigh

Thanks
The mono switch is often for FM radio only, unless it's really old. Can't you sell the speaker and buy a 2 channel model?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Say you're still in the planning stages, you will make things much simplier for yourself if you just figure on a second speaker.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I will try and find you something later, that could be pressed into service as buffer amps. Behringer had a device that was just the ticket, but it is now discontinued. I have a lot to do, so I will look into it later.
This little distribution amp will work

Connect stereo line level to one of the inputs. Solder a jumper between hot of left and right in a stereo 1/4" TLS jack and connect to a length of screened cable and solder an RCA plug on the other end, and plug it into our mono amp. Plug your soldered TLS jack into one of the four outputs. That unit will do the required buffering for you.

Your other option is to buy a dual channel J-FET chip and make a dual buffer amp and common the output to feed to your mono amp.

D

derekwwww

Audioholic
I am still planning as the walls are still open. The thing is I have a single James Loudspeaker Opus 62CS which retails for over $1000 and I cant afford another. I ended up with this one cheap... as I also have a James 63 SDX that I was going to use but I beleive it is blown as it doesnt sound like it should? So I am stuck with this lonely speaker and would like to use it mono either in the bathroom or in a bedroom (small room).

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I am still planning as the walls are still open. The thing is I have a single James Loudspeaker Opus 62CS which retails for over $1000 and I cant afford another. I ended up with this one cheap... as I also have a James 63 SDX that I was going to use but I beleive it is blown as it doesnt sound like it should? So I am stuck with this lonely speaker and would like to use it mono either in the bathroom or in a bedroom (small room).
I think you now have all the options to do it if that is what you want.

D

derekwwww

Audioholic
Can anyone confirm that the mono switch on receivers only will work for Fm radio and not an AUX input? Looking at possibly a MARANTZ 1070 that has a mono switch on it...

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Speco Technologies TSM-30 stereo to mono mixer $15.65

Speco Technologies TSM-30 - stereo to mono mixer combines left and right speaker level stereo outputs to provide an audio input to a single speaker. It is best utilized for small rooms or applications that require only one speaker, but are receiving sound from a stereo source. It offers a 30 watt RMS. It includes heavy duty adhesive tape for easy peel, stick and connect installation.

You can buy as low as $15.65

http://stores.sacelec.com/sacramentoelectronics/detail.jsp?name=TSM-30

Good Luck!

Midcow

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Can anyone confirm that the mono switch on receivers only will work for Fm radio and not an AUX input? Looking at possibly a MARANTZ 1070 that has a mono switch on it...
Almost certainly it will be just for FM, most of them were. See if you can find a user manual online. Getting a receiver is overkill, many of us have given leads on this that will do what you want very well.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Did I read correctly that you have a mono amp?

If thats the case then you are mixing at the line level. Something like this should work. But its a little pricey.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=302-308 &FTR=Stereo To Mono Converter&CFID=1499832&CFTOKEN=79793367

That unit will not work, as it is passive, so it can't have buffering. If he connects that to his pre outs, then his whole system will be mono. He needs a mixer or a headphone distribution amp. That is his best solution.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis