Best way to connect digital cable box

F

FLMike

Audioholic
I just purchased a new Yamaha HTR-5790 receiver that should be here next week. Before it arrives, I want to have a plan for how each of my components will connect.

My cable Set-top box is a Motorola DCT 2000, but doesn't have many options--not equipped for optical, s-video or component connection. I can either connect to the receiver via a composit video output that is provided and run the audio via L/R outputs provided or use the single coax output that is currently hooked to a VCR and carries both sound and video signal. Which is the better option?

I plan to contact my cable company this week to see if they offer an upgrade, but if not, I have to use what I've got and I want the best it can provide.

Thanks,

Mike

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Not a whole lot of choices.

FLMike said:
My cable Set-top box is a Motorola DCT 2000, but doesn't have many options--not equipped for optical, s-video or component connection. I can either connect to the receiver via a composit video output that is provided and run the audio via L/R outputs provided or use the single coax output that is currently hooked to a VCR and carries both sound and video signal. Which is the better option?
Given these choices, I'd vote for the (yellow) composite video and (red/white) analog audio. That RF connection is the lowest of the low.

fdrennen

fdrennen

Audiophyte
FLMike said:
The coax is NOT an option my cable provider gives us a scientific atlanta Explorer 1850 UGH! with only the coax will not even give you stereo and not too good of a picture
:mad:

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
Well...

FLMike said:
My cable Set-top box is a Motorola DCT 2000, but doesn't have many options--not equipped for optical, s-video or component connection.
You don't have much of a choice...like the others said the coax is out of the question...but have you thought of upgrading your cable box? A composite video signal from cable?...It still won't be that good...better than Coax but still...

F

FLMike

Audioholic
JohnA,
Yes, as I said above I am contacting the local cable provider to try and get an upgraded box. As a matter of fact, I talked to them yesterday. The good news is that they have "some" receivers available that support at least S-video and a "few" that support component. Whether I can get one is a matter of "luck" at the counter. He suggested that I explain to the girl at the counter exactly what I wanted and that when she gives me the blank "huh?" look, ask for the supervisor LOL. He did say that more and more customers are upgrading their own equipment and that they will follow suit as demand warranted.

Mike

Darkos

Darkos

Audiophyte
FLMike said:
JohnA,
Yes, as I said above I am contacting the local cable provider to try and get an upgraded box. As a matter of fact, I talked to them yesterday. The good news is that they have "some" receivers available that support at least S-video and a "few" that support component. Whether I can get one is a matter of "luck" at the counter. He suggested that I explain to the girl at the counter exactly what I wanted and that when she gives me the blank "huh?" look, ask for the supervisor LOL. He did say that more and more customers are upgrading their own equipment and that they will follow suit as demand warranted.

Mike
What cable compnay are you with? Sounds like they are a little behind on the times? I feel spoiled now after I read what your choices are. Here is what I have: My Cable Box

F

flyv65

Full Audioholic
JohnA said:
You don't have much of a choice...like the others said the coax is out of the question...but have you thought of upgrading your cable box? A composite video signal from cable?...It still won't be that good...better than Coax but still...
Ahhh, screw that noise and use this as an excuse to go buy a new receiver that upsamples your video signal from composite to component...you always wanted a Denon 3805, didn't you? :D

Bryan...or maybe HDMI/DVI-D outputs-upsample to 720p/1080i...

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
Seems there is a large gap in the quality of electronics from provider to provider. Hope it works out for you Mike.

F

FLMike

Audioholic
It does upsample, but....

Fly,
My AV reciever does upsample composite/S-Video in to component out, but I still think I would be better off if the original signal was coming out of the cable box composite (or at the very least S-Video)to start with. I could be wrong, but I don't think that upsampling delivers quite the same quality as the "real deal".

Mike

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis