Best way to connect Bose Acoustimass 5 to laptop

P

pedog

Audiophyte
I'm looking for the best way to hook up a Bose Acoustimass 5 speaker system to a Toshiba laptop.
I'm thinking if it's worth buying a USB 5.1 Audio Adapter (http://www.amazon.com/CABLES-GO-22327-Audio-Adapter/dp/B000233WJG/ref=sr_1_1/104-8899917-2649558?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1176283559&sr=8-1)
This thing works as an external audio card.
My laptop claims to have SRS TruSurround XT virtual surround sound and SRS WOW stereo enhancement.
Will I get a better sound quality if I use the USB audio adapter?
The speaker set only has tinned wire inputs, so I have to go out and get a couple of RCA and 3.5mm adapters anyway.

Is my speaker set good enough such that it'll notice the better quality signal coming from the USB audio adapter?
Will it only be noticible when playing DVD with 5.1 Surround Sound? Or will I also notice better sound quality when playing CDs and MP3s?

Any other better solutions?
I'd love to hear some ideas.

Thanks!
Pedro

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Speaker connections

Pedog,
You can not connect speakers directly to your laptop or a sound card. You need a receiver or amp to power them. The output from the laptop or sound card is a line level signal. Many laptops including my Dell have a digital coax audio output for connection to a receiver.

I think your best bet might be to verify your laptop has a digital audio output and get a logitech or simar (powered PC) speaker package for surround sound. Sell the Bose on ebay.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I say use a hammer :p If you don't plan on buying a receiver, then I agree with JC, get a powered system and sell the Bose.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis