best used tower speakers

• Thread starter Jerry Frederick
  • Start date
J

Jerry Frederick

Audiophyte
I have a Yamaha HTR 5460 receiver and 4 pretty old Yamaha NS-500 floor speakers. I'd like to replace the floor speakers with tower speakers which I could pick up used. I have a sub and center channel. What kind of tower speakers should I look for which will go with this set up? I like really crisp sound and the sub supplies the low end. Thanks!

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Since you appear to have an unlimited budget, I’d recommend a pair of used Salk Exotica 3’s.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
To give an answer to that, we would have to know what's available to you at this time. IT's not like you can just go into a store and special order a pair of whatever you want.

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
With out more details it is a little tough to make a recommendation. The speakers you have look to be a little iconic themselves, so you may inadvertently buy something that ends up being more of a downgrade then an upgrade. Usually when people shop for used they have a very specific model in mind that they are familiar with and watch for.
There is a lot of risk purchasing used based on someone else's recommendation, because they just might not be what you are looking for... but you will be stuck with it. (Unless you know what you are buying is such a good deal that you can re-sale it for more.)

That being said check out Vandersteen's Model 2ce and newer. Just watch for a while and you can usually find a good deal for a pair of them between 400 and 1000, I wouldn't pay more then 600 myself though.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis