Best THX Reciever Under $3000

S

spatton

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I have been looking for the last few monts at purchasing a new reciever for home cinema capable of THX. I also play a fair degree of music so should also provide good stereo options, so THX ultra 2 is also quite interesting.

As I am based in Europe I waited until after IFA which is when most of the new consumer electronics are released to see the new models of which there were many :).

I am now looking at the following options based on reviews / forums (Prices in Euro €)

Mid Range
Yamaha RX-V2400 €889 THX Select
PIONEER VSX-AX3 €913 THX Select
PIONEER VSX-AX5i €1319 THX Select

JVC RX-DP20 €1.500 THX Ultra 2
Denon AVC-A11SR €1800 THX Ultra

Reference
PIONEER VSA-AX10i €2985 &nbsp;THX Ultra 2
Marantz SR 9300 €3099 THX Ultra 2
Denon AVC-A1SR €3249 THX Ultra 2

Based on price perfromance I am looking at the either the JVC RX-DP20 (7*120W RMS 8ohm) or the PIONEER VSA-AX10i (7*170W DIN 6ohm).

Pioneer (Elite) is a know entity and a clear reference system, however the JVC is a real temptation with Ultra 2 and half the price.

Has anyone tested or tried this new JVC reciever? I have read the complete manual and although not a sophisticated as Pioneer, Denon, or Yamaha is looks like a very well put together system device.

Before I part with my $$$'s, any advice from Audioholics Staff or memebers is appreciated.

</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>JVC has always made well designed reliable components and you wont go wrong with them, they also have very good amp section. For reference system, try the Yamaha DSP-AZ1 and the Z-9, will give you a better perspective to work with.</font>

P

PaulF

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Spatton,

That's quite a range. I'm not familiar with all those models but I took a quick look at the JVC. Their THD is singnificantly higher than even Yamaha's lower price models. Also the video bandwidth a 35Mhs vs yamaha's 60Mhz (2400) is less.

I also think Yamaha has the best DSP modes on the market. JVC seem to have none.

That was from just a quick look. You may want to narrow your search down as it covers a broad spectrum of product and pricing. Establish some base line performance parameters and go from there.

Paul

Paul</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis