Best Subwoofer Under $300?... Is this kosher here?

Cassius Watson

Cassius Watson

Enthusiast
So guys RSL Speedwoofer 10s or BIC America Acoustech PL-200 or Emotiva BasX 12?

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I'd almost rather have two of the BICs for about what the RSL probably costs.

Cassius Watson

Cassius Watson

Enthusiast
Sorry. Wrong BIC. Under $300 I was thinking the F12
I am also contemplating going Dual with the F-12s, but I like the size to performance ratio of the Speedwoofer... I'm curious to hear what the other guys have to say

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I am also contemplating going Dual with the F-12s, but I like the size to performance ratio of the Speedwoofer... I'm curious to hear what the other guys have to say
The other thing that steered me towards two, F-12's is, you said your space was small and you were looking for entry level.

If my goal was under $300, I would likely buy the F-12 and get another later on and probably be ok. I don't have a lot of room so the F-12 seems like a good size for what it does and what it costs. And IIRC, BIC has some affiliation or interaction with HSU. Not sure where I read that.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Of course. It depends a lot on personal expectations. A subwoofer doesn't have to dig down to 25hz to be good at 40hz in music. A lot of good car subwoofers don't go so low. I would not care for whatever ultra low freq effects I missed in a movie. I would care if I was missing the bass guitar in music.

I have the RSS315HF-4 and the UM12-22. I think the RS sounds better for music yet it costs less. Which of those two is better for movies?

I don't know a lot about subwoofers. My expectations are pretty low.
Honestly though, if your main concern is enough bass in music and hearing the lowest note on a bass guitar etc, outside of electronic music or some pipe organ music a sub isn’t necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cassius Watson

Cassius Watson

Enthusiast
The other thing that steered me towards two, F-12's is, you said your space was small and you were looking for entry level.

If my goal was under $300, I would likely buy the F-12 and get another later on and probably be ok. I don't have a lot of room so the F-12 seems like a good size for what it does and what it costs. And IIRC, BIC has some affiliation or interaction with HSU. Not sure where I read that.

What subwoofer are you using right now?

Cassius Watson

Cassius Watson

Enthusiast
Honestly though, if your main concern is enough bass in music and hearing the lowest note on a bass guitar etc, outside of electronic music or some pipe organ music a sub isn’t necessary.

What subwoofers are you running and what say you about about my trio, namely the Bic PL-200, RSL Speedwoofer 10s and Emotiva BasX 12?... I'm extending a bit beyond my $300 budget for now

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
What subwoofer are you using right now?
Right now I am using one I built with a Dayton UM12-22 12" Ultimax driver and a Behringer NU 3000dsp amp. I did put the other driver I have in the same cabinet though so will build one for that and I can hook it up to the other channel of the amp for comparison to see which I like better. So far, I like the RSS315 12" driver better but have not really messed with the EQ with it. The Ultimax is much more rugged and childproof, which is why I am leaving that one in there for now being grandkids are around a lot.

As it stands, I have the Ultimax held way back since I only use it for music. That and my main speakers have 12" woofers as well, so, I am just using the sub to relieve the lowest frequencies from my main speakers. Otherwise, the sub will rattle the interior doors in their openings, along with the attic access panel in the hallway. I also ended up putting screws in the drywall in the hallway because it was done in the 60's with nails, and it was buzzing as well. I had to fix loose window panes and all kinds of other things.

I made grilles for my speakers and subs to childproof them, just haven't finished the one for the subs yet. Actually forgot I had gotten this far with it or would likely have the other driver in play.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja

I agree. I have a couple pairs of speakers that manage it on their own. I like the flexibility of the sub. Some speakers I rotate into play call for a subwoofer and it ends up being this whole other thing I enjoy messing with.

jslivingston

jslivingston

Audiophyte
I have an Adam Audio Sub-12 for my entertainment system but wanted a cheaper smaller subwoofer for the office where I spend most of my day working, playing games, and even watching some HBO Now. I couldn't justify dropping another two grand on a sub (I was pleased to see they recommend the Sub-8 though).

Their budget pick was the KRK K10S. I was skeptical to buy a less-than-$300 sub that had a 10 inch woofer but the specs said it could hit down to 34 Hz, which is good enough for my near-field listening in that tiny room. I've enjoyed it and think you would too, if you can stomach the yellow cone. It's under my desk so I don't even see it, but it was a turn off.

Last edited by a moderator:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
There is some information in the linked article that is incorrect for those that read it FYI.

I have an Adam Audio Sub-12 for my entertainment system but wanted a cheaper smaller subwoofer for the office where I spend most of my day working, playing games, and even watching some HBO Now. I found some sub recommendations here for quite a few options. I couldn't justify dropping another two grand on a sub (I was pleased to see they recommend the Sub-8 though).

Their budget pick was the KRK K10S. I was skeptical to buy a less-than-$300 sub that had a 10 inch woofer but the specs said it could hit down to 34 Hz, which is good enough for my near-field listening in that tiny room. I've enjoyed it and think you would too, if you can stomach the yellow cone. It's under my desk so I don't even see it, but it was a turn off.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Surprised nobody mentioned this little guy. Assuming that deal comes back.

Got one for my office and really only need it for music. If HT low extension is your goal (sub 25hz) then look elsewhere.

Я

Яusty

Enthusiast
Surprised nobody mentioned this little guy. Assuming that deal comes back.

Got one for my office and really only need it for music. If HT low extension is your goal (sub 25hz) then look elsewhere.
The scalper on Amazon wants $689 hah. Wait, ships and sold by Amazon, weird.

Cassius Watson

Cassius Watson

Enthusiast
The scalper on Amazon wants $689 hah. Wait, ships and sold by Amazon, weird.
That Scalper can keep it until he dies... I'd buy 2 Bic PL200s with that money. Lol... I hope those fall to $250 and who knows the RSL Speedwoofer 10 to $300

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis