Audiophyte
What is the best set of speakers for my Onkyo Tx-nr545? Made by _____

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Welcome to AH,

The most important question is "What is your budget?"

Then, what is the size of your listening room, your projected sitting distance from the speakers, the loudness at which you intend to listen to them.
Is it for music only or watching films as well?
Those are all factors that you have to take into account and will enable us to make appropriate suggestions.

B

Bev

Audiophyte
Small room 12 x 20. 15' listening distance. Music and movies. I like it loud. Dare I say "Unlimited budget"?

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Well seeing that you’ve bought an Onkyo TX NR545 which is far from an unlimited budget receiver, I’d recommend something in the entry-mid level tier.

This price range falls from around $300-$1000.

Lots of good options here, we want to avoid hard to drive speakers, ones with low impedances, to make sure your Onkyo will drive them sufficiently.

You are in Canada, limiting some of your options.

I’d start with the brands Kef, Paradigm, and Axiom.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
This is the wrong question!
Onkyo makes a good AVR, and just like Marantz, Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer, etc, your AVR will amplify the signal fed into it without adding or subtracting anything audible (which would show as high levels of distortion). They have been doing this since the early 70's (if not the late 60's). Any notion of a specific brand having a specific character is poppycock and the purview of audio magazine authors attempting to generate interest in products sold by the companies that advertise (indirectly pay their salary). Tone controls or EQ systems may work differently, but the basic sound without added tone effects is very consistent.

So your question should now be "What are the best speakers to get?"

I don't know how patient you are (or how important this is to you),but if you could find a local Audio shop to listen to some speakers and come back with your impressions, that would be a good starting point.

You are in Canada and I am not certain how much that restricts you as far as availability.

PSB and Paradigm are a couple of good CA made options!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
What area of Canada are you in?
@PENG or @GO-NAD! (among others from CA) may be able to direct you to some good shops/brands to listen to!

B

Bev

Audiophyte
Well seeing that you’ve bought an Onkyo TX NR545 which is far from an unlimited budget receiver, I’d recommend something in the entry-mid level tier.

Lots of good options here, we want to avoid hard to drive speakers, ones with low impedances, to make sure your Onkyo will drive them sufficiently.

Thank you, Verdinut. I am richer now than when I bought the Receiver.

Thank you, Russdawg1
. I am richer now than when I bought the Receiver.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Well, in southern Ontario, you'll have many options. Are you looking at a pair or a complete surround sound setup? Subwoofer(s)? You say your budget is unlimited, but you'll need to at least give us a ballpark number. The TX NR545 is not a really high-powered unit. If you want it loud, you'll need high sensitivity, i.e. Klipsch. If your budget is truly unlimited and you want it loud, perhaps you should consider a higher powered AVR?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
If your budget is truly unlimited and you want it loud, perhaps you should consider a higher powered AVR?
A higher powered AVR or separates with ATI, Monolith or Yamaha pre-pro and ATI, Monolith or Outlaw power amps. For speakers, the JBL 4367 Studio Monitors as front speakers and surrounds:

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis