Best speakers for both Music listening AND HT??

Npeart

Npeart

Junior Audioholic
Greetings, audio junkies!

I just purchased a Sony 40" LCD Bravia HDTV. Now I am turning my attention to loudspeakers BEFORE I start researching components.

My budget for a pair of floorstanding speakers is between $650.00 and 1K. I fully intend on going 5.1, which for apartment living is more than adequate, although i will buy a 7.1 receiver to accomodate future expansion of the system.

I have not been out to listen to any of these speakers as yet, but thus far I really am intrigued by B&W, KEF, JBL, Paradigm and Monitor. NOW, before I even engage in the tedium of listening to all these, I would like some goiudance from you fine folks as to specific speakers that are great for music listening AND for HT? I want to make an educated purchase, and since I will bei using these speakers for both purposes, I am looking for suggestions on speakers widely accepted as being great for both music and HT.

Okay, let's start with that. I'm sure I'll have more questions.

D

Diapason

Audioholic Intern
My vote is for PMC, DB1+ or GB1 if you can stretch to it. I prefer their voicing to B&W when it comes to music, but they go very loud as well. Of course, I'm somewhat biased since I currently have OB1's in my listening room.

Si

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
Music is what you listen to, HT OTOH needs impact, the more the better, so a speaker has to have good peak power handling as well as efficiency to make the sound fill the room so bear these points in mind.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Unfortunatly, this is a personel preference issue, not a "best" issue

All the brands you mention are well respected names, put out a solid product, and each have their fans and detractors.

The only way to find out what's "best for you" is to subject yourself to the tedium of listening for yourself and making a personal judgment unless, of course, you want to base it on popularity and, in that case, just post a poll here and go for the one with the most votes.

I do, however, concur with the guy who suggested you base your decision on music, not movies, when you embark on that heinous mission. Many systems that sound good with movies suck on music, but I've never heard of a system that sounded good on music and sucked on movies.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis