Best Speaker System for Misophonia

B

Billie_Jean

Audiophyte
Hello Folks,

I have misophonia or decreased sound tolerance. To manage my condition, I'm looking for the best speaker system on the market that will completely immerse me into sound. The speaker will primarily be used for music, brown/white noise as well as movies. Price is not an issue, but my only constraint is that I tend to move alot and my room dimensions may change from one place to the other.

Thanks

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would be looking at the usual roster of good brands: KEF, JBL, Salk, Revel, to name just a few. Given your condition, I would skip brands known to have an erratic frequency response. Look for speakers with a relatively flat frequency response. I would probably go for a wide dispersion speaker.

For your condition, what I would do is have a parametric equalizer on tap. That might allow you to filter out any troubling noises on the fly. What kind of noises do you find bothersome?

carlthess40

carlthess40

Audioholic
I have pretty bad hearing problems as well
I find that I like horns the best. With my hearing I have a hard time with mid/high and highs, and that’s when the horns really put out a very sweet and pleasant sound for my type of hearing problems. And they don’t need super high lower amps. And with the right blend of a mid and high horn , you do t need super large horns.
Just my 2cents of knowledge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
I have pretty bad hearing problems as well
I find that I like horns the best. With my hearing I have a hard time with mid/high and highs, and that’s when the horns really put out a very sweet and pleasant sound for my type of hearing problems. And they don’t need super high lower amps. And with the right blend of a mid and high horn , you do t need super large horns.
Just my 2cents of knowledge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, then you sound like a prime candidate for the new(ish) JBL HDI 3800 for front L/R.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
ONLY way to be sure is to actually LISTEN to the speakers for a while. Then come back and listen to them again. :D

charmerci

charmerci

Audioholic
Funny, I learned that word just a short while ago too. Yes, I have it. Though for me, it's more repetitive noises.

N

noclue

Audioholic
Odd I see some saw horn type speakers, I can say that they are better for a large room but some of the horn speaker like the older klipch hurt my ears they wear very bright.
Then I got some power and sound and did not have that issue they sounded great while they lasted.
My hearing is bad also.
Best if you can get some speakers with a free return if you don't like them shipping back can get expensive.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis