Best sounding sattelites for music

W

wilejoe

Junior Audioholic
Hello all and a happy Sunday to you all . I have the dreaded Bose acoustimass 5 satellite speakers and would love to start upgrading our system by replacing them. Wife won't go for big speakers, or even medium size ones only small ones like those.
Would love to get the best sound possible. These speakers are for music only. I love live music and have tons of Grateful Dead cds . Not sure if she would go for in ceiling speakers. They are in our living room and my listening area is the whole house. Not the ideal place but that's where I do my listening. A receiver recommendation would also be welcome . Thanks in advance for any help .

W

wilejoe

Junior Audioholic
But then again maybe ceiling speakers might be an option if they blend in.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
What is your budget? is a sub allowed?

If I was building a "small" music only system,
This would be a really nice music only 2.1...
imagine minis PSB Imagine mini
Topping tp60 Amazon.com: Topping TP60 Tripath TA2022 50WPC (80WPC 4 Ohm) Mini Amplifier: Electronics
svs sb1000 https://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/sealed-box/sb-1000#.UnbLmPmURD0

The speakers are like 5x9 and very small, but the sound is amazing, I fell in love with them as soon as I heard them, the tp60 will be plenty of power and if you cross to the sb sub you will have the best of both worlds {thats also one of the smaller subs available}...

That is the smallest I would go an expect "music only" worthy sound, another option is the mirage nano sats, BUT they are hard to find and just as expensive when found new...

And most anything will sound better than speakers in the ceiling... I am very picky when it comes to music systems, I like warm and a lot of bass, and for me a tp60 with a sb1000 sub and set of psb minis {in black ash to match the sub} would make me happy...

PS stepping up to the sb12 nsd sub would do the crossing for you since that subs amp has an 80hz output you could run to your amp, but you will need somehting to control the over all volume.. Depending what your inputs are a denon may be a better fit http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENDRA297/DENON-DRA-297-AM/FM-Satellite-Ready-Stereo-Receiver/1.html

Last edited:
W

wilejoe

Junior Audioholic
OK so it seems the in ceiling speakers aren't that great but I also want to get sound that will fill multi rooms. I know I'm asking for a lot but I'd rather save up, spend more and get something that sounds great . I'll be playing a cd player and eventually want to hook up a computer to my receiver or components. Budget is around $2,000 but that can change for the right setup .

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
OK so it seems the in ceiling speakers aren't that great but I also want to get sound that will fill multi rooms. I know I'm asking for a lot but I'd rather save up, spend more and get something that sounds great . I'll be playing a cd player and eventually want to hook up a computer to my receiver or components. Budget is around $2,000 but that can change for the right setup .

$2000 is good... Some people come on here and want a 7.2 for a 500sq foot room with a budget of $450 and they need a tv too, lol...

Go to psb's website and check out there dealer locator, find one near you and demo the psb minis, you will want to punch Amar in the face

just kidding, but you will see bose could give you more for less, is my point...

Anyway, multi room? as in how many? and what about a 2.1 with a sub?

For $2000 I would be here...
PSB minis $550
SVS sb1000 $500
denon 697ci $250 DENON DRA-697CI AM/FM Multi-Source/Zone Stereo AV Receiver | Accessories4less

zone 2
speaker selector $30 Amazon.com: Monoprice 108229 6-Channel Speaker Selector for Cellphones - Retail Packaging: Cell Phones & Accessories
1 of these for each room with speakers Amazon.com: Dayton Audio CSVC50 Impedance Matching Rotary Speaker Volume Control 50W: Camera & Photo
one of these $125 on sale rite now Dayton Audio APA150 150W Power Amplifier 300-812
and then 2 of these in each room Amazon.com: Yamaha NS-IW280CWH 6.5" 3-Way In-Ceiling Speaker System (White): Electronics

You will love it and it will be under budget.... I can promise you when you demo the minis you are going to be floored, then when you pair them with that small sealed sub, they are going to scream and you will be amazed at the sound quality you get from such small attractive components...

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
A serious sounding speaker at a really good price - and you can hang them high
NHT SuperZero speaker - $60 each
SuperZero 2.0 | Bookshelf Speakers | Premium Audio Equipment

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
For small speakers, I would go w/ the $60 NHT SuperZero.

If your wife will accept a little bigger, then the NHT Absolute Zero.

W

wilejoe

Junior Audioholic
What about the Gallo A'Diva's with their subwoofer are they as good as they claim

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What about the Gallo A'Diva's with their subwoofer are they as good as they claim
They have to really be that small? :D

In that case, go with the Orb Mod2.

Orb Audio People’s Choice Speaker System HT Labs Measures | Sound & Vision

The Orb Mod2’s listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +2.84/–2.04 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz. Sensitivity is 91 dB/2.83v/m from 500 Hz to 2 kHz.

That is IMPRESSIVELY flat for a tiny speaker, compared to the +/-12dB of Bose. :D

Even the larger Anthony Gallo isn't that accurate, probably +/-6dB. :D

I think Mirage is probably like +/-9dB or something.

I would get the SuperZero for first choice (can wall mount too). But if round and small is a prerequisite, then get the Orb Mod2.

For subs with curved body and smaller footprint, I would get the RBH SX-1010N (that's what I own). You can get for $750 plus a sub amp for $200. But they can output like an earthquake and super tight also.

I would not get the little subs from Gallo, Orb, etc.

Otherwise, the larger subs are ubiquitous. :D

Last edited:
ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
rnatalli has an svs sb12 for sale in the clasifieds, that is the perfect music sub, IMO..

W

wilejoe

Junior Audioholic
The NHT Superzero bookshelf paired with the NHT super 8 sub might be a good choice
Is that sub ok. I'm not into bass that makes your insides shake but I'm open to suggestions. My sony receiver does not have a sub out so I would definetly need to replace it right away, which isn't too big of a problem. I wanted a way to eventually use my computer to play some of my music. I know you love Denon receivers which one would you recommend for MUSIC only. I just bought used Denon 2910 universal player at a great to play my HDCD cds. I prefer to buy a new receiver . May have to save up a little but rather pay once and be happy. Thanks

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The NHT Superzero bookshelf paired with the NHT super 8 sub might be a good choice
Is that sub ok. I'm not into bass that makes your insides shake but I'm open to suggestions. My sony receiver does not have a sub out so I would definetly need to replace it right away, which isn't too big of a problem. I wanted a way to eventually use my computer to play some of my music. I know you love Denon receivers which one would you recommend for MUSIC only. I just bought used Denon 2910 universal player at a great to play my HDCD cds. I prefer to buy a new receiver . May have to save up a little but rather pay once and be happy. Thanks
When I owned the SuperZero x 10 YR, I paired it with a NHT 10" sub and it was great, Crossover 100Hz.

So I would go with the 10" NHT. I guess 8" might be okay if you really don't care for bass. But 10" isn't that much bigger in physical size. So I would go 10".

NHT offers 3-day risk free shipping both ways. So you could try the 8" first. If it satisfies, keep it. Otherwise, return with free shipping and get the 10". Another wonderful reason to buy NHT IMO.

Did you see the FR of the Absolute Zero? It is crazy flat and accurate - less than +/- 1.0dB from 100Hz-10kHz. Crazy superb.

But the SuperZero is great for small wall-mount. Still extremely accurate IMO.

People think I am crazy to say this, but my old NHT SuperZero + SW2P 10" sub performed better to me than a lot of $5K towers I auditioned. Crazy I know. :eek:

But that is my 100% honest opinion.

Of course, I think Sat + Sub in general is better than most towers (without subs) regardless of price. I know, I know - Crazy. :D

Oh, AVR?

Yeah, I think any Denon as long as it has the features you want. Audyssey XT is a nice feature to have. Look for that. I have used most Denon models - from the cheap $200 to my $7500 AVP-A1. Even the $200 cheap Denon sounded great for music. AVRs have matured. So just get any Denon with the features you want. Just don't buy refurbished. Buy brand new or at least open-box, but brand new is best. Best Buy will price-match online retailers like Amazon, Newegg, etc.

I pretty much exclusively stream lossless Apple files from my iPad/ iPhone to my Denon. So I don't even use a "Player" for music anymore. Well, I have two $2K Denon players in the closet. :D

Last edited:
theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
With statements like "my listening area is the whole house" and "I also want to get sound that will fill multi rooms" I suspect the NHT system might ultimately prove inadequate. I own the NHT Absolute Zeros, and they're darn nice little speakers, but they're just that; little speakers. That, coupled with the fact they're acoustic suspension, means high volume is not their friend. Same exact thing goes for the Super 8 subwoofer.

You've gotten some very good suggestions so far, but I think you'll need to go a little bigger in order to achieve your goals. If you opt to explore somewhat larger options a few other speakers to consider are:

The SVS SB1000 subwoofer you keep seeing mentioned is a good choice, so that should be on your short list. Another decent option is the HTD Level THREE. That's less expensive, but larger.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
With statements like "my listening area is the whole house" and "I also want to get sound that will fill multi rooms" I suspect the NHT system might ultimately prove inadequate. I own the NHT Absolute Zeros, and they're darn nice little speakers, but they're just that; little speakers. That, coupled with the fact they're acoustic suspension, means high volume is not their friend. Same exact thing goes for the Super 8 subwoofer.

You've gotten some very good suggestions so far, but I think you'll need to go a little bigger in order to achieve your goals. If you opt to explore somewhat larger options a few other speakers to consider are:

The SVS SB1000 subwoofer you keep seeing mentioned is a good choice, so that should be on your short list. Another decent option is the HTD Level THREE. That's less expensive, but larger.
Well, his wife wants little bitty speakers like Bose and Orbs, so the SuperZero will be better than those. :eek:

Besides, I've used the SuperZero in my 18' x 20' room. They sounded great even for "whole-house", which is about 40ft diameter including adjacent rooms. :D We're not talking about Frat college parties or outdoor parties here. It will be quite loud for the main room and still loud enough for the adjacent room.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Well, his wife wants little bitty speakers like Bose and Orbs, so the SuperZero will be better than those. :eek:
Agreed. I actually owned the Orbs, and I can attest to the fact that they aren't worth the $$. The sound is very thin, and the crossover has to be around 150Hz. That's too high for my blood. I auditioned the Gallo A'Diva Ti's, and they were better, but the crossover for those sounded best just slightly lower (around 120Hz). Still too high for me.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
The best "wee" speaker I ever heard was the Sunfire HRS-SAT4. The music coming out of those puppies really belied their size. :eek:

I did a quick search and there's a brand new pair on eBay for $700. You can get better sounding bookshelf's at that price but if marital bliss is that critical I think you'll be very happy with the HRS-SAT4's.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis