High Freq. quality
Low freq. quality

Thanks

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
IMHO
Jacintha Here's To Ben
Minimally miked and recorded with no overdubs. I can hear/feel the room the musicians performed in. Her voice is clean clear and just right there.

Holly Cole Shade
Overdubbed and studio sounding but very clean. Holly's voice is one that records well. Good bass.

Stravinsky The Firebird Suite Telarc CD-80039
Two channel miked with typical Telarc clear clean sound. Recorded in a real music hall. I hear substantial hall presence. The bass drum is super.

George Benson Beyond The Blue Horizon Re-Issue of vinyl recorded in Creed Taylor's living room (I think). Typical CTI sound.

The above are recordings I have taken with me when auditioning speakers and other components. :cool:

P

Pat D

Audioholic
A Classical Sampler can be helpful.

papostol said:
What are some suggestions (favorites) of recordings for the following:

Imaging
Soundstaging
Depth
Midrange quality
High Freq. quality
Low freq. quality

Thanks
It's the midrange and upper midrange I emphasize most. No speaker is good without a good midrange, and a peaky upper midrange bothers me. The recordings I use usually have bass, treble and highs on them, too, of course. My initial listening is of full orchestra with massed upper strings, male and female vocals, mixed chorus, and piano. A few well chosen tracks can allow Most speakers don't make it past the first three . . .

The first thing I look for is a natural balance. A speaker with an even frequency response, wide even dispersion, and low distortion usually takes care of image and depth, not to mention transient response. Wide dispersion speakers tend to be room friendly, as well. As far as the image is concerned, I look for consistency and believability.

Classical samplers can be helpful as they usually include a wide variety of music. Having a variety of material on a disc can save a lot of bother for both you and the sales people. If you are a techie, I suppose you could burn your own sampler.

The sampler I use is an old one, the Denon 1985/1986 New Releases Classical Sampler, Denon GES-9079. I mostly use tracks 9, 10 and 11, which are the beginning of Schubert's 9th Symphony, a passage from Weber's opera, Der Freischuetz, and Richard Strauss's Der Rosenkavlier. The recordings are pretty good and I keep on using it for consistency.

I've also used Beethoven's 9th Symphony with Leibowitz and the Royal Philharmonic on Chesky and with Suitner and the Staatskapelle Berlin on Denon.

For male vocal it's usually Roger Whittaker or Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits).

For female vocals I often try Diana Krall, Patricia Barber, or Angele Arsenault.

For mixed chorus there is always Mozart's Requiem (I use the Colin Davis recording), Handel's Messiah (Shaw on Telarc), and of course, the last movement of Beethoven's 9th.

Earl Wild, piano, Chopin's Ballades and Scherzos, on Chesky is very fine.

A speaker with a low frequency cut-off of 40 Hz (-3 dB) is adequate for most music, assuming it can reach the required out put levels, and will have useful bass somewhat below that. A double bass goes down to about 41 Hz, and Diana Krall's Love Scenes is good for that.

I rather prefer using a subwoofer for the deep bass because it can be placed where the bass response is best, which is not usually the best place for the main speakers.

The easiest material for bass is pipe organ. The World of the Organ on London has a recording of Wachet Auf which uses a 16 foot organ pedal (32 Hz). Bach's Passacaglia and Fugue in C minor with Michael Murray has a 32 foot organ pedal (16 Hz)--don't be disappointed if your main speakers don't do anything with that one! A lot of subwoofers won't, either, but it can give some idea of one of the low frequency limits of your the speakers.

Last edited:
jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I'm not sure which catagory this would fall into, Anything by Steely Dan (or Fagen) from The Royal Scam and later will have tremendous sound quality. There are a lot of layered sounds and harmonies with Steely Dan, so I think it'd be a good test. Plus, it's just good music!

For reference, these albums would be:

The Royal Scam
Aja
Gaucho
The Nightfly
Kamakiriad
Two Against Nature
Everything Must Go

Katy Lied (before the Royal Scam) is also good, but I think the quality is higher afterwards.

dsa220

dsa220

Junior Audioholic
When I look to test new speakers in my system (or at a store) I usually take along recordings from the following labels:

1 - Opus 3

They have some great jazz (from Dixieland through 'traditional') and classical recordings (from small chamber to full orchestra to some amazing organ music). They tend to use minimal microphone techniques and little (to no) equeing or compression. They have 4 'Test CD's (I have the LP's) that are great, especially #4.

2 - Chesky

Same as above, but with more contemporary artist. Good SACD's too.

3 - Reference Recordings

Some of the best recorded classical music bar none. I use 'Church Windows" all the time as a reference as it is one of the few recordings that faithfully captures the majesty and subtlety of an orchestra.

4 - Water Lily

Good vocal albums.

5 - Red Rose Music

Mark Levinson (yes, that Mark Levinson) is a very good bass player. He has done some very good recordings in his studio of music for bass (stand-up) plus some good jazz and small ensemble pieces.

6 - Audioquest

There 1 & 2 sampler have some very good music (#2 has some great blues and jazz). All well recorded.

As far as individual artist, I like using the Cowboy Junkies, as they tend to record live in the studio, their second album 'The Trinity Sessions" is used as a reference because of the way it was recorded - 1 day (actually 2) using a stereo mike and a DAT deck, that's it. A little warning though, the Cowboy Junkies are kind of an aquired taste (like Miles Davis or Coltrane). Once you understand them, they are hard to live without.

There are so many others, this is just a short list.

Last edited:
L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
for stereo seperation, go with Oh Black Water by the Doobie Brothers or Reflections by Diana Ross.

for a quick and dirty pure quality check, the songs 1, 8, and 12 off the Trans-Siberian Orchestra's Christmas Eve and Other Stories (the initial flute and later guitars on Christmas Eve in Yugoslavia are about as musical a spread as you will find on one recording)

Wishes by John Butcher is some very clean acoustical and Goodbye Saving Grace off the same album is outstanding axe work. JB has a very distinctive voice, as well.

for more spirit of the season, Martina McBride's O Holy Night off the White Christmas album is as awesome a female voice as has ever been recorded.

for HT, there is a scene in Clint Eastwood's Pale Rider where Michael Moriarity digs a shovel in the front left and tosses the sand over his shoulder, appearing to come from the right rear speaker, as if it passed diagonally over your head. it's a very subtle effect, and takes a good system to reveal it.

alot of people use the depth charges in U571 to test a sub, but the A10 napalm run or the F18 missing man from Courage Under Fire test the sub AND the front surround at the same time.

if you have 5 or 6 hours, I have found this group will reveal most weaknesses.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Primus- Brown Album
This one is dead flat. I mean FLAT!

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Not only is Primus flat, but rediculously cool and different.

C

Colonel_Tomb

Audioholic Intern
I actually disagree with some of the complex answers here. If you're looking to audition something, simply take along a few of your favorite pieces, stuff you really listen to. That matters infinitely more than any technical demonstration of bandwith or dynamics.

I'll admit, though, that I did take along Steely Dan's "Aja" before I bought new speakers last winter just because I knew the title cut has "lots of interesting sounds." But I also took "The Allman Brothers Band at Fillmore East" because it changed my life as did no other recording before or since.

Last edited:

20to20K

Full Audioholic
Agree with Steely Dan...but also..

The Steely Dan trifecta of Royal Scam, Aja, and Gaucho sound particularly good. I'm more into pop and jazz so I can't comment on the Classical recordings. Anything using Quincy Jones Accumass process is excellent...specifically "The Dude", "Light up the night" by the Brothers Johnson and yes unfortunetely Micheal Jackson's "Thriller" but I feel the best of all his recordings in Rufus and Chaka Khans "Masterjam". Bruce Sweiden is da' Man!

The best bass response I've ever heard comes from jazz quartet led by bassist Marc Johnson call "Bass Desires" featuring Bill Frisell, John Scofield, and Peter Erskine. When you're ready to test low-end check it out. It's an ECM recording and most of their recordings are excellent. For example another good one for bass is the Keith Jarrett Trio "Still Live" on ECM.

For highs Grover Washington's "Winelight" is amazing. It's also now available on DVD Audio.

Some of Joni Mitchell's recording from the 70's sound surprisingly clear and precise. Check out "Hijera" and get the bonus of hearing some great supporting musicians (Larry Carlton and Jaco Pastorious) as well. Another great midrange CD is Dire Straights "Brothers in Arms".

O

outsider

Audioholic
I like to use Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon.

Also, lately I've been using the song "Just Like You Imagined" from NIN: The Fragile.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Godsmack..........the other side
Train................debut album

jaguars_fan

jaguars_fan

Junior Audioholic
I agree with jaxvon where Steely Dan/D Fagan is concerned. Kamakiriad, Hey Nineteen, Black Cow are all good. I also favor Supertramp's Crime of the Century (title cut) as well as School.

For pure vocal testing, Charlotte Church.

annunaki

annunaki

I agree that when demoing speakers use media you are intimately familiar with.

My test cds include but are not limited to:

Fourplay - "Between the Sheets"

Dire Straits - "Brothers in Arms"

Tool - "Undertow"

Tool- "Aenima"

Tool- "Lateralus"

A Perfect Circle - "Thirteenth Step"

Enya - "Watermark"

Madonna - "Immaculate Collection"

Alice in Chains - "MTV Unplugged"

Fourplay is great for dynamics, staging, ect.

Dire Straits: male vocals, dynamic range.

Tool's Undertow is highly dynamic, great low end as well as many (hate to use an audiophool term here) micro dynamics. Aenima and Lateralus also are great for micro details that only the best speakers can reveal at normal volumes. Track 7 of Aenima has one of the fastest double bass kick drums I have ever heard.

A Perfect Circle has unbelievably low bass on the opening track very low 20's on the hz scale. Many subs do not reveal the ultra low end details of this track.

Enya is a very good female vocal as well as a good musicality detector for subs.

Madonna is also a good female vocal, and has some good "club" type beats and note shifts.

Alice in Chains "MTV Unplugged is one of the best recorded Live events I have ever listened to. Great details on this one. Lots of audible string to fret contact and finger on string contact. A great ambience tester as well.

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
Anything that I am very familiar with.

Dire Straits Brothers in Arms

U2 Joshua Tree

Handel Music for Royal Fireworks

Greatest Hits of 1720 (yes there really is an album of that name)

Steeley Dan pick any album

Chicago pick any album

Carley Simon

jaguars_fan

jaguars_fan

Junior Audioholic
I don't know why I forgot this one, but Mannheim Steamroller's Fresh Aire II and III are great for going all over the sound spectrum! Really, most of their stuff can exercise your system.

S

Slice

Enthusiast
Bob Marley - Best of..

Alison Krauss - Now That I've Found You

Sade - Diamond Life or Love Deluxe

Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms

Eric Clapton - Unplugged

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers