Best projector and screen options

Z

Zack

Audiophyte
Hi folks! I'm fairly new to the projector scene and just bought a house with a theater room. Pretty cool but all the old equipment goes! Here's what I know it had:
- Panasonic ae3000 projector
- 11' da lite perforated screen
- not sure the mounting distance but will know soon.

My questions:
- what are the top 3 projectors you would recommend ($ then $$ then $$$)? I want a great picture (no light in this room), min maintenance and ideally 3D/smart/wifi.

- what's my best bet on finding a good price on an 11' perforated screen?

Thanks all! Appreciate you supporting a newbie.

Zack

Z

Zack

Audiophyte
One addition, the speakers do stay and the center channel is directly behind the screen. I can relocate it if you think it is worth that to save $1k vs a perforated screen

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
As far as projectors go what's the budget? New only? Used an option?

Sony makes great PJ's and I'd pick it over the Panny. I have a used JVC and I love it. The JVC's are tremendous PJ's, but the Sony's are no slouch by any means.

Unless you plan on putting a TV in there as well, your best bet will always be a fixed frame screen, which will also reduce cost as well. Now you mention a perforated screen, but you don't say whether it's going to be fixed or motorized.

As far as AT (acoustically transparent) vs not, I don't think there's a huge difference as far as performance goes with the right screen material. I've only had Elite Screen motorized screens, but I've had AT and regular and I don't notice a huge difference in performance. Meaning the AT screen does a great job with a nice tight weave.

Z

Zack

Audiophyte
Thanks! I'm up for used. And certainly will be fixed screen. Thanks!

Z

Zack

Audiophyte
What do you think about Elite screens sable 138" in AcousticPro 1080P3 for $969?

Can't post links yet apparently

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Don't buy a curved screen. Projectors are designed to focus on flat screens.

For the 'best' in affordable AT screens I would look at Seymour AV first. I think the SableFrame series is nice, but not up to the build quality of Seymour, and Seymour should do a better job with allowing audio to pass. You should also have space between a speaker and a traditional AT screen vs. a woven screen, so this may present an issue depending on how far behind the screen the speakers actually are.

For a projector...
CHEAP: BenQ HC2050
MID: Sony HW40ES or Epson 5030
IDEAL: JVC Home Theater Models - They all are great

In a good theater, the JVC projectors are really great models. They have, by far, the best black level performance of any projector on the market that I'm aware of. They aren't great with 3D or gaming, but are decent. They are quiet enough, and bright enough for a 135" screen.

The Sony is my favorite under $3,000 model. It can be had for about $2,000 regularly. It has good brightness, is very quiet, has great response time for gaming, and has good native contrast.

The Epson is not as quick as the Sony for gaming, but handles 3D better. The use of a dynamic iris means it can deliver better black levels under extreme conditions compared to the Sony, but I see when a dynamic iris is in use, so I hate them... So I prefer the Sony over the Epson. Still, the Epson is a solid model with the best zoom and lens shift on the market. A really stunning lens.

The BenQ is the entry level model to beat. The replacement for the W1070, they upgraded to an all glass lens and have reduced fan noise. Otherwise very similar to the venerable W1070. Under $1,000! Man, where were these 20 years ago?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Don't buy a curved screen. Projectors are designed to focus on flat screens.

For the 'best' in affordable AT screens I would look at Seymour AV first. I think the SableFrame series is nice, but not up to the build quality of Seymour, and Seymour should do a better job with allowing audio to pass. You should also have space between a speaker and a traditional AT screen vs. a woven screen, so this may present an issue depending on how far behind the screen the speakers actually are.

For a projector...
CHEAP: BenQ HC2050
MID: Sony HW40ES or Epson 5030
IDEAL: JVC Home Theater Models - They all are great

In a good theater, the JVC projectors are really great models. They have, by far, the best black level performance of any projector on the market that I'm aware of. They aren't great with 3D or gaming, but are decent. They are quiet enough, and bright enough for a 135" screen.

The Sony is my favorite under $3,000 model. It can be had for about $2,000 regularly. It has good brightness, is very quiet, has great response time for gaming, and has good native contrast.

The Epson is not as quick as the Sony for gaming, but handles 3D better. The use of a dynamic iris means it can deliver better black levels under extreme conditions compared to the Sony, but I see when a dynamic iris is in use, so I hate them... So I prefer the Sony over the Epson. Still, the Epson is a solid model with the best zoom and lens shift on the market. A really stunning lens.

The BenQ is the entry level model to beat. The replacement for the W1070, they upgraded to an all glass lens and have reduced fan noise. Otherwise very similar to the venerable W1070. Under $1,000! Man, where were these 20 years ago?
I'd love to get a Seymour screen, but their price premium over elite is steep enough to keep me from getting one at this time. Plus with autocal like Audyssey, YPAO, MCACC even though it won't let quite as much sound through at the higher frequencies (1ish vs 3.5ish) it won't really matter as much since it can be calibrated out, or if you're over a certain age you probably can't hear those frequencies anyways.

D

dyno_rulez

Audiophyte
IMO, the panasonic AE8000 / AT6000 is an excellent projector. Think about this, panasonic makes pretty robust projectors and they havent upgraded their model for the past 4 years. This came out in 2012.
There are several excellent ones from JVC / Sony (4K) at a much higher price point.
For budget range, Benq 1070+ is a very good buy.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Try to find pre-owned, low hour, JVC models from 2014 and newer if possible.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have 2 BenQ W6000 PJ so I won't be buying anything for a very long time.

But if I do buy, it will probably be something with LED or Laser light source.

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
LED light sources continue to not be bright enough. The LG PF1500U is certainly a step in the right direction, but it really can't reach more than about 700 real world lumens. Far less than the competition, and only good up to about a 120" diagonal.

The laser based light engines are nearly limitless. The laser diodes can be interconnected with dozens or hundreds used in projectors that exceed 10,000 real world lumens.

But, they add a pretty hefty price tag at this point.

What is interesting, is that suddenly the manufacturers are able to offer lamps which run for 4,000 hours and are actually doing so (BenQ W1070). They also are offering replacement lamps which run right around $100 (Epson). I think this is going to keep the traditional lamp around for many more years to come in the vast majority of serious projectors on the market. Especially in home theaters where price is a huge factor and reliability isn't as often required, but a certain brightness level must be met for the money spent.

I think over the next ten years we will see traditional lamps which are rated to 5,000+ hours start hitting the market and more and more the lamp pricing will drop to under $150 for replacements. At that point, we will still 'want' LED/laser, but still won't pay any premium if you can buy two replacement lamps or more for that price.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
LED light sources continue to not be bright enough. The LG PF1500U is certainly a step in the right direction, but it really can't reach more than about 700 real world lumens. Far less than the competition, and only good up to about a 120" diagonal.

The laser based light engines are nearly limitless. The laser diodes can be interconnected with dozens or hundreds used in projectors that exceed 10,000 real world lumens.

What is interesting, is that suddenly the manufacturers are able to offer lamps which run for 4,000 hours and are actually doing so (BenQ W1070). They also are offering replacement lamps which run right around $100 (Epson). I think this is going to keep the traditional lamp around for many more years to come in the vast majority of serious projectors on the market. Especially in home theaters where price is a huge factor and reliability isn't as often required, but a certain brightness level must be met for the money spent.

I think over the next ten years we will see traditional lamps which are rated to 5,000+ hours start hitting the market and more and more the lamp pricing will drop to under $150 for replacements. At that point, we will still 'want' LED/laser, but still won't pay any premium if you can buy two replacement lamps or more for that price.
True about the lower cost of lamp replacements every 3,000 hours or more. I guess that's one reason I am not rushing to get the Epson LS10000 now.

K

Kinga

Enthusiast
I know I am new to this site, but you should check out Screen Innovations. They are amazing screens, custom made...and really quite affordable. 115" Black Diamond, zero edge with LED lights 1.4 comes in under $4900.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I know I am new to this site, but you should check out Screen Innovations. They are amazing screens, custom made...and really quite affordable. 115" Black Diamond, zero edge with LED lights 1.4 comes in under $4900.
That's not a deal, and the Black Diamond is a terrible looking screen.

You can buy a fixed frame screen from Silver Ticket through Amazon for $250 shipped to your door.

Then spend $1,000 on some nice dark paint (done for you), then another $1,000 on some good dark theater carpet. Finally $1,000 on some nice motorized blackout shades.

Use the remaining cash on some good A/V gear to go into the theater.

The BD screens from SI have their time and their place, but they should never go into a proper home theater. There is also a reason for a nice wide bezel around a screen.

K

Kinga

Enthusiast

Sorry you feel that way. I love my black diamond screen. To each their own I guess. If we ask liked the exact same thing we would all still be living in caves. Peace.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I don't really feel that way. Anyone with screen experience can take a look at the BD screens and see that they suffer from significant hot-spotting issues. They lack uniformity from side to side which is visible from any viewing position within a room.

They retain excellent contrast in ambient light situations, but they do not provide an even and neutral image across the screen. I have spoken to a number of manufacturers who have seen this issue as well, and in their own screens admit that it is a trade off. But, it is one that I strongly advocate against because there are real image issues introduced. I'm fine with everyone liking what they like, but I'm not giving an opinion. This is a measurable issue with the BD screens. Still, in a lit room, they are second to none.

K

Kinga

Enthusiast
Since the theater room here has windows, and I watch football on this screen, I really do like this screen. I am not understanding what you mean by "hot-spotting". Could you explain this term? I am still new to the audio video realm, but compared to most of the screens I see in the HIGH end homes I clean, I still prefer this screen. Please, educate me. I really want to learn.:)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Hot spotting occurs when there is a visibly brighter area of the screen due to the gain structure of the screen itself. With the BD screens, the area in direct alignment between the viewer and the lens of the screen is brighter than the rest of the screen. This is called a hot spot. As you move around, this point will track with that line between the viewer and the lens of the projector.

It is caused by the gain of the screen. The BD 1.4 screen is actually a pretty high gain for that type of screen because the screen itself is naturally a low negative gain screen. Likely about .6 gain. So, they are adding about 2.5 gain to the natural gain, which reduces the viewing half angle, and creates the hot spotting issues and the poor image uniformity.

Still, when a room has lights on and isn't a dedicated space with excellent light control, the BD screens add more and more value. I see them installed from time to time in conference rooms and they deliver some of the best images I ever see in those spaces. Likewise, I've recommended them for sports bars who are looking for a superior image in a poor space.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Still, when a room has lights on and isn't a dedicated space with excellent light control, the BD screens add more and more value. I see them installed from time to time in conference rooms and they deliver some of the best images I ever see in those spaces. Likewise, I've recommended them for sports bars who are looking for a superior image in a poor space.
They are fantastic for ambient lighting situations, but for a home theater even Screen Innovations has more suitable offering
Since the theater room here has windows, and I watch football on this screen, I really do like this screen. I am not understanding what you mean by "hot-spotting". Could you explain this term? I am still new to the audio video realm, but compared to most of the screens I see in the HIGH end homes I clean, I still prefer this screen. Please, educate me. I really want to learn.:)
Football especially does extremely well in ambient lighting even on a white screen due to the high brightness of the broadcasts. It's not really a good medium to evaluate screens for movie usage.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis