best output resoution for my setup?

R

redman_43

Junior Audioholic
I have a Philips 42in LCD (don't recall the exact model #) with a 1366x768 native resolution. I currently have my Xbox360 outputting 720p resolution via HDMI to my Receiver which is outputting via HDMI to the TV.

Is 720p as the output resolution from the Xbox360 the best match to the tv, or should I bump it up to 1080p? We sit about 12-15 feet from the tv right now.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Try both settings and use whichever looks better.

Alamar

Alamar

Full Audioholic
Looking at your set's resolution I would stick with 720P. That should be just fine because it's not like your set can do anything with a 1080P signal except downscale it anyway. You'd likely have a better picture by staying where you're at.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Since your TV is 1366x768 native, I'd recommend sticking with 720p.

Try both settings and use whichever looks better.
I donno if there will be noticable difference at 10 -12 ft from a 42" TV, but no harm trying the 1080p resolution.

snickelfritz

snickelfritz

Junior Audioholic
720P is probably what you should be using with a 42" LCD, especially considering it's so close to the native resolution of the panel.

People with huge HGTV displays are the ones that need 1080. (>50")
ie: imagine how pixelated the picture would look from 10' if the screen were 10' diagonal; therein lies the need for higher resolutions; BIG DISPLAYS.
The difference on a relatively small 42" HDTV at 8' would be impossible for most people to discern.

IMO, too much emphasis is placed the difference between 720 and 1080.
Wake me up when 2880P is available as an option.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I agree with using 720p. That works for me. I don't know if that involves any scaling or not in the console. It may depend on the game.

For my upscaling DVD player, I use 480p. I let the player handle the de-interlacing but let the TV do the scaling. Otherwise the picture would get scaled twice.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
I have a new Panasonic 50PX75U and when I set my PS3 to 720p the image doesn't fill the whole screen. Kind of like when you are watching HDTV and they show a 480i commercial and the picture is just a little square.

Alamar

Alamar

Full Audioholic
I have a new Panasonic 50PX75U and when I set my PS3 to 720p the image doesn't fill the whole screen. Kind of like when you are watching HDTV and they show a 480i commercial and the picture is just a little square.
Are you saying that on your set you get a 4x3 picture when you use 720P mode on the PS3?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis