crashguy

crashguy

Audioholic
What do you think are some of the best movies made? Rob started a thread on the worst, some good ones to avoid adding to your collection, even if they are in the $2 bin at wally-world.

What I want to know is, being a HT freak and total audioholic, what movies should we all have as part of our collection, and why?

Here are my votes:
- (first a WARNING, I like stupid humor) COMEDY: Top Secret, Spaceballs, Spies Like Us, Strange Brew. Some of the funniest flicks around. :p :p
- ACTION: U571, I Robot, Star Wars series, Hunt for Red October, Braveheart, Gladiator, Alien, Aliens, Full Metal Jacket (Oh yeah :) ), True Lies, Top Gun

Last edited:
L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
Comedy- can't top Blazing Saddles for slapstick, Bedazzled is a solid second
Action- Fifth Element, Indiana Jones III, Big Trouble in Little China
Date- Princess Bride, Heart & Souls
Drama- Murder at 1600, The Untouchables, Dark City, The Usual Suspects
War- The Big Red 1

Last edited:
Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Forest Gump
The Big Lebowski
Pulp Fiction
Road Trip
American Pie
Super Troopers
Sling Blade
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
The Jerk
Fargo
Natural Born Killers
The Game
Shattered
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Caddyshack
There's something about Mary

Last edited:
Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

13th Warrior- Fun movie with some good sound & pretty good picture.
Jason X- Very cheesey good fun, lots of hot chicks and fantastic sound.
Gladiator- I liked the movie (which won an Oscar for Best Picture) and the pic & sound are good.
Master & Commander- I loved the movie, and the picture and sound are top notch. Very good effects, and really seems realistic in it's portrayal of life at sea.
LotR: Extended Edition Trilogy- What can you say? State of the art visual effects, a great cast, a classic story. In many ways I'd say the LotR cycle is better than the Star Wars Trilogy (especially given the weakness of Jedi and the fact that Lucas has vandalized the originals). The spec ed leaves nothing to be desired with regard to picture and sound. About as good as NTSC DVD can get.
Resident Evil: Superbit- Milla is a goddess, the sound is great, and it's one of the better looking SB titles.
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - Great movie, superb cinematography. The Superbit looks amazing but lacks an English soundtrack; you just get Chinese with English subtitles. Either version is good.
Das Boot, Superbit- A masterwork, probably the best sub movie ever made and one of the best war movies. Great performances, and an amazing job of immersing you in the world of sub warfare. You can honestly feel the weight of the water and the tension of the crew as the screws of the hunting destroyers whir overhead. It's tough to top this one.

Just a few of my faves.

WorkerBee

WorkerBee

Junior Audioholic
1)Men of Honor..shows if you want something bad enough then you must work hard, whatever it may be and it reminds me of how racist my younger brother is.
2)Fiddler on the Roof..shows you CAN be amused without all the modern conveniences in life.
3)Monsters Inc. & Finding Nemo..these really light up the tv in vivid colors and are not too childish.
4)Black Hawk Down..Has great sound and out of all the war movies I've ever seen this has to be the most believable.
5)Under the Tuscan Sun..beautiful scenery shots and if you are looking for a house to buy and want to lead a simple life then this is it.
6) Eloise @ the Plaza..I wish I had as much fun as this kid growing up.
7)Erin Brockovich..gives me a sense of satisfaction that big corporations do not always get their way.
8)Chocolat..entertaining because it is someone trying to lead a good life and it clashes with the old fashioned than goodness their gone days of old.
9)Pretty Woman..shows you not to judge a book by it's cover and it mirrors a time I once had in a Nordstrom department store.

B

Bullit67

Enthusiast
I cant blieve no has said Shrek (not Shrek2)Yet ground braking animation good sound track and funny as hell

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Leprkon said:
Comedy- can't top Blazing Saddles for slapstick
Candygram for Mongo. *I* mongo...

We go ridin' in to town, just a whoopin' anda hollerin'

Another classic Mel Brooks film is History of the World - Part 1. Good clean humour that I still think is funny.

20to20K

Full Audioholic
Instead of top 10 movies, top 10 categories...

Drama - Taxi Driver
Comedy - Dr. Strangelove
Action - Hard Boiled (John Woo)
Classic - The Third Man
Sci Fi - Bladerunner
Gangster - Mean Streets
Animated - Shrek
Epic - Lawrence of Arabia
Prison - I am a Fugitive of a Chain Gang
Romance - Bonnie and Clyde

Z

Zarg

Junior Audioholic
My Personal Top 10 List

10. Henry V (Brannagh version)
9. Kill Bill, Volume I
8. Raiders of the Lost Ark
7. The Matrix
6. Alien
5. LOTR: The Two Towers
4. Patton
3. LOTR: Return of the King
2. Pulp Fiction
1. LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring

Honorable Mentions: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly; The Longest Day; Bringing Up Baby; Carefree; Ghostbusters I; Commando; Groundhog Day; Babette's Feast; La Femme Nikita (Original French Version); plus others I can't remember now.

D

DSMCasey

Junior Audioholic
I have Rented almost 1500 DVDs so far (actually some of these I saw on VHS and not on DVD), and this is the list I have compiled of what I really liked.

Shawshank Redemption
American Pie
Band of Brothers (all SIX)
Catch Me if you Can
Frailty
LOTR
Harry Potter
The General's Daughter
Ghost
Gladiator
Good Will Hunting
The Green Mile
Independence Day
Jaws
K-19: The Widowmaker
Kingpin
L.A. Confidential
The Last of the Mohicans
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
The Matrix
Me, Myself & Irene
Men in Black
The Mothman Prophecies
Old School
Pearl Harbor
Remember the Titans
Riding in Cars with Boys
Road Trip
Saving Private Ryan
The Silence of the Lambs
The Sixth Sense
Stand by Me
Vanilla Sky
X-Men 2

mcwilson

mcwilson

Audioholic
Drama - 1a) The Godfather, 1b) Shawshank Redemption
Comedy - There's Something About Mary (Franks and Beans)
Action - Bourne (either)
Sci-Fi - Alien
Scary - Signs

Recent movies I really like are:

Secondhand Lions
Remember the Titans
Matrix, Matrix Reloaded

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
I like a lot of the movies listed already so I'll just add a couple...........

Western........True Grit, Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid

Drama.......Philadelphia, American Beauty

Sports.......Rocky

Have to mention "Jaws"........I remember seeing it in a theatre & the audience cheering when the shark got blown up.

nova

nova

Full Audioholic
I'll add a couple too.
The Quiet Man
Blade Runner (the directors cut)
Red Rock West
The Spanish Prisoner

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers