Best Home Theatre Receiver in $500 - $700 range

A

adamd

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>What is the best home theatre receiver in the $500 - $700 range?

I was leaning toward the Pioneer Elite VSX-53TX. &nbsp;I've seen if for $630 online.

All opinions are welcome.</font>

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>You have a ton of great choices in that price range.  Give some more specifics on your system and options that you want and that will probably help you get assistance.

Everyone is going to have their personal favorites.  The main point is to find one that has the options you want and SOUNDS best to YOU!  Listen to them.

Top brands to consider in that range:
Harman Kardon
Onkyo
Integra
Marantz
Denon
Yamaha
NAD
Pioneer Elite</font>

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Sorry for the double post</font>

R

r3dline

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I can't help but use this as an opportunity to boast NAD. &nbsp;

In this price range, NAD would have to be at the top of my list not only for audio quality and clarity, but class. &nbsp;It just LOOKS so much &quot;classier&quot; than the rest of the mass-produced products in this price range.

I can't help myself, but I just can't bring myself to buy my audio gear at the local circuit city or best buy. &nbsp;

Sorry if I'm stepping on anyone's toes, but in this price range, NAD is just hard to beat, on many factors.</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
U

Unregistered

Hk

Go with the HK AVR-630, $749 at J & Rmusic.com, price includes tax and shipping. Great system with the JBL 7.1 speakers also at JR.

U

Unregistered

best receiver

Pioneer elite 53tx is da bomb! I've had Denon and Yamaha, and just got the Pio, and it is the cleanest, warmest, lushest, gutsiest, most detailed receiver that you can buy for under $3000. Although, I have no experience with NAD or Rotel, or Sherwood Newcastle for that matter. But I cant imagine that it gets any better than the Pioneer. Everything I play on it sounds teriffic. And movies are great too.

U

Unregistered

AdamD, there isn't a "best" receiver for that price. You were given an excellent list of the top brands. Sometimes there are deals as the brands shift to new models. The HK 7200 is out there for great prices but it is a huge receiver which needs plenty of ventilation. I myself have the NAD T763 and the Marantz SR5300 which I would both highly recommend. Many people swear by Yamaha and Denon. The new digital receivers have many adherents saying are as good as high priced separates. Ultimately, you have to be the judge, compare the features you want and need and listen to as many as you can, preferably with the speakers you intend to get or already have. When you come to forums like this, they are more useful for providing ideas of new stuff you didn't know about. When you ask what is best you get a whole lot of opinions but no real answers.

U

Unregistered

I agree on the Pioneer. I listened to the 53 and 55 vs the denon 3805 and thought the Pioneer sounded better. But as everyone said, it is a matter of choice that you must make for yourself. You can't go wrong with any of the choices listed.

U

Unregistered

New Pioneer Elite Receivers

Unregistered said:
Pioneer elite 53tx is da bomb! I've had Denon and Yamaha, and just got the Pio, and it is the cleanest, warmest, lushest, gutsiest, most detailed receiver that you can buy for under $3000. Although, I have no experience with NAD or Rotel, or Sherwood Newcastle for that matter. But I cant imagine that it gets any better than the Pioneer. Everything I play on it sounds teriffic. And movies are great too.
I couldn't agree more. In addition to those other brands, I've had the H/K AVR-7200 and a JVC receiver. I've had my 54TX for a few days now. I'm impressed because what I hear sounds very good. Music and movies are both carried out very well with this receiver. In the past, I've had to bump the levels on the center channel by a dB or two so that the dialogue could be properly hear. With all levels to "0", my 54TX handles movies with ease - and very clearly.

However, we all must keep in mind that something that sounds good to me, might sound horrible to the next person. Plus, even though I've listened to plenty of gear in the shops, the sound is still quite different I get the items home.

This hobby takes a bit of patience. At times, we buy gear that doesn't work out so well for us, so we go on a quest to find something a bit better. I won't recommend to anyone that they go out any buy a new Elite receiver. But, I will suggest to them that they at least take the time to listen to one and see how the features compare to the others on their list.

Have a good day ... :)

U

Unregistered

I disagree with the opinions on here that what sounds good to one person sounds different to another. There is a reference level at some point were 90% of the people will agree what is best- a shall we say set group of standards. I have never been disapointed when I purchased a product that received very highly reviews. It did not matter about someone personal preference but the colaberation of all.
Most receivers sound overly warm or sterile, having owned all I believe as do most that NAD is by far the most musical and lifelike hads down, although they are very hard to find in retail. I listened to all recievers mentioned above and the one that every salesmman seemed to push and like the best overall at all high end stores I went to was the Denon 3805. What HiFi was crazy about the Denon 2803 so I imagine the 2805 is even better and the list of internals is very impressive, with shark DSP's and Burr Brown Dacs, others can't claim this.

For me and lots of others the NAD T763 is a giant slayer, to which the Pioneer could not hold a candle to in musicality and raw power.

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

Unregistered said:
For me and lots of others the NAD T763 is a giant slayer, to which the Pioneer could not hold a candle to in musicality and raw power.
Ok obviously I am biased, owning a Pioneer Elite receiver. But to say it doesn't hold a candle to the NAD is simply ridiculous.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis