Best front projector for $4,500 or less?

TABCON

TABCON

Audioholic
I just finished veiwing the new Epson 800 flagship and it's very impressive. Black levels are great.

I'm considering it for a dedicated HT, but I was wondering what else may be out there that deserves comparison in this market.

T.

C

cthomp

Junior Audioholic
Other choices

You may want to take a look at the reviews on the following also:

Panasonic PT-AE900U (Great deal on this right now)
Sanyo PLV-Z4
Sony VPL-HS51A
Optoma HD72

All these projectors seem to be a very good value for the $$
Good luck and happy hunting!

R

rupertoooo

Enthusiast
A few more for your list:

Optoma H78DC3
Optoma H79
Hitachi Ultravision HDPJ52

The 800 is a excellent unit and may be better than all the others mentioned here especially in this price range. I would still check out the H78DC3, but I beleive that unless you step up to the darkchip 3 projectors, which are more expensive than the 800 it will be hard to beat.

Last edited:
J

JaceTheAce

Audioholic
Try to consider buying a used CRT projector - you'll be surprised how inexpensive they are. I just bought my Sony 1251 for $150. That's about how much they're worth, but then again... disadvantages are they are HUGE and HEAVY. If you can live with that, get a CRT. You'll love the advantages of a CRT - ie, brilliant accurate colors, no screen door effect, no rainbow effect, long bulb life, etc.

N

naisphoo

Banned
JaceTheAce said:
Try to consider buying a used CRT projector - you'll be surprised how inexpensive they are. I just bought my Sony 1251 for $150. That's about how much they're worth, but then again... disadvantages are they are HUGE and HEAVY. If you can live with that, get a CRT. You'll love the advantages of a CRT - ie, brilliant accurate colors, no screen door effect, no rainbow effect, long bulb life, etc.
Jace,where do you get those cheap crt then? e-bay, audiogon...? any places else? would you please let me know where? Thanks..

L

Luna-Moon-Fang

Banned
I have seen the Sanyo Z4 in action myself. I can not say I have seen the Epson 800, but I do know for not only under $4500, but under $2500 I have seen Z4 package deals out there. And I did see a review that gave it the top choice for 2006, so I guess I like the Z4 although I have heard good things about the HD72 from Optoma as well. Heres a couple reviews that I have seen on the Z4.

http://projectors411.com/reviews/read.php?id=32

http://hdtvexpert.com/pages/plvz4_sanyo.htm

I havent seen the Optoma piece yet, but would like to, I just dont know any places that have that yet.

Thats my 2 cents. I hope it helps. :)

W

westcott

Audioholic General
CRT projectors are very cheap used for several reasons.

Bulb replacement, panel alignment maintenance, and the lack of digital inputs and HDCP compliance. In the future, you will need HDCP compliant digital connections (DVI or HDMI) for all high bandwidth digital content protected material.

Buy a new digital unit like the Sony VPL51. You will be happier in the long run.

Last edited:
TABCON

TABCON

Audioholic
EXCELLENT ideas!

Thanks, and have chosen to go with the chipper chicken and not spend a wad.

The Sony or the Optoma look very interesting.

howie85

howie85

Full Audioholic
consider this the 1080p projectors are just gaining a foothold on the market. If they take off with some respectable numbers the 720 units will become even more affordable. Consider some units that were almost 30k not 2years ago are now listing a msrp of 14999. The new units announced at this years ces are coming out at almost half the price of last years models. Good deals are coming to the mass market for projecors seems sooner then later. Just some food for thought.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis