Best floor standing speakers for music

B

Bigbrotherone13

Enthusiast
Trying to stay under $1500 for the pair. Also i mostly listen to heavy bass music, rock, and metal

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Some other members recently mentioned the Polk RtiA9 as being good with the low end and the price is in your budget...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
There was also mentioned recently a sale on JBL 590s for $950/pr but looks like that one is over. They would do very nicely as well but normal price is $2k/pr.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If it were me, I would get two subwoofers and use them as bookshelf speaker stands for some capable bookshelf speakers. That will be a lot more overall capable than tower speakers, especially in bass. And furthermore, you can adjust the level of bass a lot more easily than with tower speakers where you would need an AVR that has tone controls. It is basically a tower speaker with much more powerful ability in bass frequencies.

A couple setups I would look at for this type of system given your musical tastes:
A pair of Klipsch RP-160m or RP-150m speakers on some Premiere Acoustics PA-150 subwoofers. This system should be able to get very loud and stay clean and clear doing so.

An Hsu Hybrid 2.1 package but add on another sub. This system may not be able to get quite as loud, but it will be able to dig deeper and have more flexibility. It will still be able to get very loud, much more than most people would be comfortable with.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Or you could put the two bookshelves on stands then you'd have the flexibility of better placement options of the subs for your particular room. Some simply prefer towers (altho not a substitute for good subwoofage IMO).

B

Bigbrotherone13

Enthusiast
If it were me, I would get two subwoofers and use them as bookshelf speaker stands for some capable bookshelf speakers. That will be a lot more overall capable than tower speakers, especially in bass. And furthermore, you can adjust the level of bass a lot more easily than with tower speakers where you would need an AVR that has tone controls. It is basically a tower speaker with much more powerful ability in bass frequencies.

A couple setups I would look at for this type of system given your musical tastes:
A pair of Klipsch RP-160m or RP-150m speakers on some Premiere Acoustics PA-150 subwoofers. This system should be able to get very loud and stay clean and clear doing so.

An Hsu Hybrid 2.1 package but add on another sub. This system may not be able to get quite as loud, but it will be able to dig deeper and have more flexibility. It will still be able to get very loud, much more than most people would be comfortable with.
This is actually a really interesting setup. Never thought of doing it that way before. Thanks for the advice!

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I’m assuming you plan to use these full range? You might be better off using bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer. Floor standing speakers, especially two way variants of bookshelf models with an extra woofer, do very little outside of extending bass response. Unless you can find a 3-way speaker with relatively large LF woofers, most two ways run full range suffer from IM distortion, which is easily audible even at lower levels and highly objectionable. You get much better bang for your buck, and better bass integration since a subwoofer can be moved to an ideal location. For under $1500, you could dedicate $700 to speakers, and up to $500 for a sub. Since the primary use is music, you shouldn’t need extreme LF response, 25hz-30hz should be plenty.

While all music benefits to some degree from a fast transient response metal especially benefits. I often use it to compare the transient response of speakers, there is often so much going on at a quick pace, that speakers with a poor transient response will smear nuances underneath the “noise”, while a very quick speaker will maintain the integrity and separation of all instruments. I often wonder if more people would appreciate the genre better if it was played back on better speakers that didn’t turn it into a smeared mess.

I haven’t actually counted, but it looks from a rough estimate that Hannes Grossman, the drummer from Obscura, Blotted science, and Alkaloid, has at least 12 different cymbals in his drum setup, with a good transient response, each one is well defined and separated during the quickest, most congested music. In my car using the lousy stock speakers, it blurs into a mess of incoherent noise.

How big is your room, what are you powering them with, and how far is the listening position?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would get two subwoofers and use them as bookshelf speaker stands for some capable bookshelf speakers....It is basically a tower speaker with much more powerful ability in bass frequencies...
I concur with shadyJ.

Bookshelf atop Subwoofer = Full-range Tower.

For illustration, here are just 2 examples of bookshelf speakers sitting atop actual subwoofers.

Otherwise, I think wait for the JBL 590 towers to go on sale for 50% off ($500 each) is a good idea.

http://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/STUDIO+590.html

Last edited:
B

Bigbrotherone13

Enthusiast
I’m assuming you plan to use these full range? You might be better off using bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer. Floor standing speakers, especially two way variants of bookshelf models with an extra woofer, do very little outside of extending bass response. Unless you can find a 3-way speaker with relatively large LF woofers, most two ways run full range suffer from IM distortion, which is easily audible even at lower levels and highly objectionable. You get much better bang for your buck, and better bass integration since a subwoofer can be moved to an ideal location. For under $1500, you could dedicate $700 to speakers, and up to $500 for a sub. Since the primary use is music, you shouldn’t need extreme LF response, 25hz-30hz should be plenty.

While all music benefits to some degree from a fast transient response metal especially benefits. I often use it to compare the transient response of speakers, there is often so much going on at a quick pace, that speakers with a poor transient response will smear nuances underneath the “noise”, while a very quick speaker will maintain the integrity and separation of all instruments. I often wonder if more people would appreciate the genre better if it was played back on better speakers that didn’t turn it into a smeared mess.

I haven’t actually counted, but it looks from a rough estimate that Hannes Grossman, the drummer from Obscura, Blotted science, and Alkaloid, has at least 12 different cymbals in his drum setup, with a good transient response, each one is well defined and separated during the quickest, most congested music. In my car using the lousy stock speakers, it blurs into a mess of incoherent noise.

How big is your room, what are you powering them with, and how far is the listening position?
My room is about 12x16' and the listening distance is around 8'. I don't have an amp yet. I planned on purchasing one when I get speakers. Thanks for the help!

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I recently bought the bookshelf version of the Canton Chrono 500 series and it is competitive against other speakers at the original MSRP. With the 50% discount, they are very good speakers.
However, I am a fan of bookshelf speakers with subwoofers (but you really need to get an AVR...instead of stereo receiver... to properly manage bass and roomEQ is very nice to have for the subs).

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/cantchrono5092dcblka/canton-chrono-509.2-dc-7-3-way-floorstanding-speaker-black-each/1.html

B

Bigbrotherone13

Enthusiast
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis