Best/Favorite 4k Atmos/DTSX movies so far?

R

RedCharles

Full Audioholic
The atmos soundtrack for Blade Runner (1982) is the best I've heard so far. What's the best you've heard?

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
The atmos soundtrack for Blade Runner (1982) is the best I've heard so far. What's the best you've heard?
Noted...I just bought some new titles for viewing over the holidays...all atmos versions

• Bladerunner 2049
  • John Wick Chp 2
  • John Wick Chp 3
  • Saving Private Ryan
  • Everest
  • Hacksaw Ridge
There is a Kong flick out in atmos that I meant to grab, but I will follow up on these in a few days time.

E

Erod

Audioholic
Great bass doesn't mean great Atmos. Here are some better mixes.

Star Trek Into Darkness
Ready Player One
Gravity
Oblivion
Hacksaw Ridge
Coco
The Martian

In fact, The Revenant sounds more Atmos than anything, and it's just 5.1. With DSU, it's amazing.

R

RedCharles

Full Audioholic
Oblivion has a good Atmos mix? I'll have to check it out.

I've seen Gravity recommended, but I can't find a copy for under 250 bucks.

John Wick 2 and 3 are better than John Wick 1?

What's DSU?

E

Erod

Audioholic

What's DSU?
DSU is Dolby's upmixer that takes 5.1 and 7.1 material and expands it into the height channels for a fuller sound. It's tremendously well done.

R

RedCharles

Full Audioholic
Ok, so it's the Dolby version of DTS Neural X. In my experience, Neural X has been better for video games, but for movies, it's just too aggressive. I'll have to try out the Dolby upmixer more.

E

Erod

Audioholic
Ok, so it's the Dolby version of DTS Neural X. In my experience, Neural X has been better for video games, but for movies, it's just too aggressive. I'll have to try out the Dolby upmixer more.
That's correct. DTS Neural X is not preferred for movies or music. DSU is much the much more preferred upmixer for most people. It's much more enveloping. I've even heard voices go into the height speakers with Neural X here and there. Of course, these things evolve, so a future DTS upmixer could change that.

Gene here prefers DSU. So does every site reviewer I've read to date.

2channel lover

What's DSU?
I watched JW2 & 3 on Christmas day.

Better? IMO no, just more of the same, but both have some nice immersive sound scenes. Maybe slightly more than in JW1. From the looks of it there will be a 4th...I'm likely drawing the line at 3 for the house library. These are great for showing off your system's capabilities for sound effects, including atmos.

I'm watching Everest next, it has some pretty good reviews for it's atmos sound field.

2channel lover

how was Everest?
Very good.

IMO...atmos mix is probably a 3 of 5, very prominent in the helicopter scene, but the 5.1 mix in general is extremely good...5 of 5 imo. You feel as if you're on the mountain with them.

My TV doesn't benefit a great deal from HDR, but it's great 4k output.

Final thoughts...it's library worthy, keeps you engaged from beginning to end as you follow the incredible journey of the climbers.

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
I’m waiting for war horse to come out in 4K I don’t know why it hasn’t been done yet

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis