D

ddcobb

Junior Audioholic
Suggestions? Looking to spend up to $3500 but of course would like to spend less. 50in+ is preferred.

M

Mark Duncan

Junior Audioholic
If I was going to get a DLP, I'd probably go for the 61-70" DILA from JVC. Remember to consider bulb life and the cost of replacement and the amount of downtime while waiting on a bulb before getting a DLP or LCD RP. I had a DLP, the bulb cost 400.00 and took a couple weeks to get the replacement. The bulbs don't always last to their MTBF. One of mine only lasted 1800 of a supposed 6000 hours. I quit using my DLP and bought a 55" Plasma to replace it. Much happier now. Just something to think about that I didn't know about on my first go round.

C

Catdaddy

Junior Audioholic
The 1080p Samsung DLPs are about to come out .. search the boards .. someone posted a e-seller selling it for about 4k about a month ago. Do a google search on 1080p Samsung, too .. good way to find out more about it.

If you are looking to play games on your TV you definitely want to stay way from a plasma.

M

moverton

Audioholic
skip the DLP

i have been looking at 50" tv's for quite a while. i finally purchased a 50" panasonic plasma (TH-50PHD7UY). you can now get this from an authorized dealer for $3600. In my opinion, it is a much better display than the dlp tv's. It is much brighter, better contrast, and stays clear when watched from an angle.
This set has no tuner or other junk on it like the consumer models (pure monitor) but if you are watching via a cable or satellite box you don't need one anyway. I have been watching it for a few weeks and it is stunningly good.

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
Catdaddy said:
The 1080p Samsung DLPs are about to come out .. search the boards .. someone posted a e-seller selling it for about 4k about a month ago. Do a google search on 1080p Samsung, too .. good way to find out more about it.
The Mitsubishi 1080P DLP's are also coming out very soon. Both Mitsubishi and Samsung make the best DLP's and you can't go wrong with either. Make sure to get one with an anti-glare screen.

E

ew110254

Enthusiast
moverton

Tell me about your monitor. I've been looking at them and like the price. Is there a problem connecting your receiver or anything else?

Thanks,
ew

M

moverton

Audioholic
ew110254 said:
Tell me about your monitor. I've been looking at them and like the price. Is there a problem connecting your receiver or anything else?

Thanks,
ew
great monitor. It comes with one component, one s-video, one vga input. you can add hdmi, component, or other inputs with plug-in modules. I had no problems with hooking it up. Again, it has no tuner built in but 95% of people don't need one.
I do not run the sound through the panel. Sound goes from source (cable, dvd, etc) to receiver to speakers. Don't see why I would use audio on the panel. I do need to get another component input or get a receiver that will switch component. Right now my DVD is coming in through s-video.
The image looks great. Great value for money.

S

SATMAN

Audiophyte
Why wouldn't 95% of the people not need a built in tuner? Enlighten me oh wise one.

M

Mark Duncan

Junior Audioholic
Because most people have a cable box or sat. box with an HD tuner in it. You can't use the built in tuner for cable or sat HD. Only good for OTA (over the air) transmissions.

S

SATMAN

Audiophyte
Most high def cable boxes do not have an intergrated tuner for locals. Now, both, DTV and DISH have built in tuners for off-air on their high def receivers. And ,yes you can use the built in tuners in tv for , like pic in pic...right?

S

SATMAN

Audiophyte
Off-Air high def has so many channels that no one else can receive. In Memphis, for example, our PAX network has 4 high def locals just over the air for free.

E

e73bass

Junior Audioholic
Best DLP

The tuner would be used if you are using any kind of satellite service. IE bad weather and you lose signal----happens alot when you have the low clouds and if live north and the snow piles on the dish. You can still get the OTA broadcasts--especially for emergency purposes--like get in the basement!----Also the speakers on the unit are nice--if someone wants to just watch something and not fire up the whole system which is what I do when others are sleeping.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis