Best Display for XBox 360?

C

Cosmo Kramer

Enthusiast
Hey everyone-

I'm new to audioholics, so please hang with me. Just wondering what your thoughts are on what is the best display for playing high definition XBox 360 games? I normally wouldn't buy an HDTV, but Microsoft is kind of pushing me into it, if you know what I mean?

I've read that DLP and LCD are the best because Plasma is blurry up close and is susceptible to burn-in with video games. With that, I'll take any suggestions, and by the way, if you could give me specific details on what I should look for: all I want to do is play XBox 360 and watch sports on my HDTV. My price limit is around $1700.

H

hunnybunny2383

Audioholic Intern
Honestly I really wouldnt be able to say which display would be better. Both LCD and DLP in a 720p setup would give you the best that the 360 has to offer. DLPs tend to be more expensive so I would think that you could get a larger or better LCD in your price range. Personally for the money I perfer a front projection system for my current xbox playing. Halo 2 on 100" screen cant be beat. But if you go to your local Walmart you ma y get a treat. They have a complete demo 360 system on display using an LCD screen and I must say that the 360 looked unbelievable. The difference between the xbox and the new 360 is like going from an old atari2600 to a playstation. But either way you decide to go LCD or DLP you are in for a treat...Nov.22 here I come!!!:D

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You most definitely need a Sony Qualia 004 and a 120" screen.

Sure, it'll set your back $25,000 or so (not including screen) - but playing games on a 10 foot screen in HD is totally killer.

DLP or LCD rear projection is fine for gaming. Front projection is just as fun.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
DLP or LCD based tv's (projection or non-projection)

Stay away from plasma for video games.

B

BostonMark

Audioholic
dont limit your options

You may also want to look into projectors. My sons friends all LOVE playing X-Box games on the movie screen.(yea, I do to) Pojectorcentral.com has a lot of info on that option.

Karp

Karp

Audioholic
I know that some LCD screens have issues when it comes to games on PC's. I wonder if the pixel refresh rates of LCD TV's are a problem with fast-action games or not.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
I've read that DLP and LCD are the best because Plasma is blurry up close and is susceptible to burn-in with video games. With that, I'll take any suggestions, and by the way, if you could give me specific details on what I should look for: all I want to do is play XBox 360 and watch sports on my HDTV. My price limit is around $1700.
Micro Center has an Olevia 37" LCD with a built in HD tuner, HDMI input, NTSC tuner, with a stand for $1199. If you open up a credit card, it's $1099. Here's the unit. It's only in their ad, so I don't know about ordering one online. It's pretty large (45.6" (W) x 25.6" (H) x 13.7" (D)), so make sure you have plenty of room. I've got a 20" desktop model and I've been more than pleased with its performance. (I've also posted this in the deals section)

http://secure.syntaxgroups.com/products/detail.jsp?pid=lt37hvs

http://secure.syntaxgroups.com/products/images.jsp?pid=lt37hvs

Last edited:
Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I know that some LCD screens have issues when it comes to games on PC's. I wonder if the pixel refresh rates of LCD TV's are a problem with fast-action games or not.
LCD response time was a problem on PC monitors until a few years ago. Response time and refresh rates are completely different. Refresh rates do not affect LCD displays, only CRT. A CRT must scan constantly to keep an image on the screen. An LCD displays a static image.

Anyway, I have never heard of response time issues on RPTV's or projectors, though I have only been keeping up with them for a couple years.

Interestingly, there have been lag problems with some DLP TV's. DLP has never suffered from response time issues and, like LCD's, is not affected by refresh rates. However, the electronic processing in some DLP TV's, most notably, Samsung, causes lag which is particularly noticable when playing games.

I would recommend an LCD for gaming. Front projection would be my top choice but only if you have a suitable light controlled room. The Sanyo PLV-Z3 and Panasonic AE700 are two excellent 720p projectors that would fit your budget and allow you to add an inexpensive screen.

If you want rear projection take a look at Panasonic, Toshiba, and Mitsubishi. LCD models.

$1700?? 55" Crt Rptv.
Don't rear projection (and front projection) CRT's suffer from burn-in? I thought the burn-in risk on CRT projection was even higher than plasma.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Don't rear projection (and front projection) CRT's suffer from burn-in? I thought the burn-in risk on CRT projection was even higher than plasma.
Burn-in on CRTs is exaggerated. You'd need a static image on-screen for days at a time. Unless you plan on playing Galaga'88 24 hours a day, I wouldn't loose too much sleep. Most modern games don't have static images anymore.

M

MAX661

Audioholic
Lots of modern games have static Images from racing games, sports, FPS and fighting games.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I would consider any game with a HUD to have static images. That would be most of them. However, if the burn-in risk isn't that high I wouldn't worry about it.

1khpsupra

1khpsupra

Audioholic Intern
I'm pretty excited to see the 360 on my Toshiba 62hm195. I had the same question in mind when purchasing as well. But I don’t think you can go wrong with a purchase in the price range you are at. If 360 can look as good as it did on whatever hd lcd I played it on at Walmart, I’m sure it will be even better on mine. Is the $1700 including sales tax if purchased locally, or shipping via internet? You should look at the 42hm95, and just a tad over your price via internet is the 52hm95.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Lots of modern games have static Images from racing games, sports, FPS and fighting games.
They aren't static like the first 20 years of videogames are static (insert coin on screen 100% of the time). Even fighting games break to FMV after every 90 second fight.

I have a Star Invasion arcade game from 1984 that has burn-in so bad it clearly says "Game Over. Insert Coin" when the screen is turned off! But that kind of burn-in took 20 years of working in an arcade 16hrs/day.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis