Best Compact Theatre Speakers?

O

orientblue330

Audiophyte
I'm looking for the best compact 5.1 speaker setup to watch movies. Money isn't a limiting criteria. Important criteria are: 1) Small size 2) Great Sound

It will be hooked up to a Yamaha AX3060 Receiver.

Someone recommended ELAC Cinema 30 or B&W MT-60D.

Is there something better out there but still maintains the small size nature of the speakers?

We were used to the Bose size speakers but know they are over priced and sound quality not the best but at least gives you a reference of the relative speaker size we are looking for.

Thank you!

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I'm looking for the best compact 5.1 speaker setup to watch movies. Money isn't a limiting criteria. Important criteria are: 1) Small size 2) Great Sound

Is there something better out there but still maintains the small size nature of the speakers?

We were used to the Bose size speakers but know they are over priced and sound quality not the best but at least gives you a reference of the relative speaker size we are looking for.

Thank you!
Take a look at RSL speakers. Very small size, good price and performance. They have two lines the CG3 line and CG4 line which is slightly larger but still a small, small speaker. I have CG3 for to channel in our bedroom and they are quite impressive especially at the size. They are very detailed speakers, very accurate as well.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Oh also if you want smaller, but not tiny speakers look at Definitive Technology Studio monitor 45s or even 55s. The 65s in this line are quite large. The SM 45s get great reviews and are smaller. I have the SM 65 and 55 as mains, center and surrounds and it's a great line from Def Tech. I'm very pleased with my setup.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Great sound and small size are incompatible goals. No matter what you are told that is NOT possible.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Great sound and small size are incompatible goals. No matter what you are told that is NOT possible.
I don't agree with this theory, but I guess everyone has an opinion.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The smaller a speaker becomes, the more compromised its sound will be. This is physics. Great sound can never come from a satellite speaker.

OP might want to try some Avantones if you need something real small. They also come in an active version.

Also take a look at NHT's compact speakers. These would be my first pick.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

Thank you!
If I get it right a) Money is not concern, but seeing larger speakers is, then why not go with in-wall speaker? There fully invisible and good ones will sound 100 better than tiny sats.

But if modifying walls is out of the question, I guess besides above mentioned NHT and RLS speakers, I'd also mention Mirage speakers http://www.miragespeakers.com/

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The Focal products I have heard have represented good quality and value.

Accessories4Less seems to have managed to work out a relation with some of the better European manufacturers (Focal, KEF, Cambridge Audio, Canton). Europeans on average do not have the kind of space of typical USA houses, so they have more compact life-style options.
I cannot vouch for the quality of any of these packages, I only offer it as a decent selection of what I believe to be competent products (given the size restrictions).
http://www.accessories4less.com/?type=&page=category&action=&id=spksystems&skip_redirect_suffix=&view_id=bee9fd31b8c5afab96da6c20cbffdd0d51976fcc&mode=&search_query=&category=&thumb_sort=store_price.asc

I suspect some of these are larger than the Bose cubes, but they also have styling that might make them more appealing (less visually massive) than boxes.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis