Best Buy Backorder (Athena AS-F1's)

S

Stevorino

Enthusiast
I heard that the Athena AS-F1's were cut from production which would make my bestbuy "backorder" an order to never be fulfilled. Anyone know anything about it?

Also, if I end up not being able to purchase them from Bestbuy-- anyone know of another place I can get them or two similar front speakers for around 250 (including shipping)?

Right now here's the system:
Yamaha RX-V450 Receiver
Athena AS-B1 Rear Speakers
Athena AS-C1 Center Speaker
Athena AS-P300 Subwoofer
"Slot for Pair of Front Speakers"

P.S.-- The room is 20x27 with the "theater" being in about 3/4 of that space (if size makes a difference) :)

Thanks,

Stevo

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Stevorino said:
I heard that the Athena AS-F1's were cut from production which would make my bestbuy "backorder" an order to never be fulfilled. Anyone know anything about it?

Also, if I end up not being able to purchase them from Bestbuy-- anyone know of another place I can get them or two similar front speakers for around 250 (including shipping)?

Right now here's the system:
Yamaha RX-V450 Receiver
Athena AS-B1 Rear Speakers
Athena AS-C1 Center Speaker
Athena AS-P300 Subwoofer
"Slot for Pair of Front Speakers"

P.S.-- The room is 20x27 with the "theater" being in about 3/4 of that space (if size makes a difference) :)

Thanks,

Stevo
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/offer-listing/B0002H4YP8/ref=dp_bb_a//002-5039822-7968060?condition=all/

J

JJMP50

Full Audioholic
This is what I did a couple of weeks ago

I have the same set up you do (C1,(2)B1+P300) and needed a pair of F1's. I also knew that my local BB didn't have any left in inventory. They just had a pair of display models. I asked the rep if he could mark them as "Open Box Items". He said, "No problem. Would 15% off be OK?" Sure. When I paid for them, I wipped out a coupon for an additional 30% off (attached). So I ended up with a pair of F1s for $160 including tax.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...1&type=category

By the way, if you get your F1's they make the P300 almost useless especially with music.

S

Stevorino

Enthusiast
Bird said:
By the way, if you get your F1's they make the P300 almost useless especially with music.
How can that be? Would it be better for me to send back the P300 and get better Front Speakers or a rear channel instead?

Its hard for me to believe that a 300 watt sub wouldn't be missed if absent from the setup

J

JJMP50

Full Audioholic
Stevorino said:
How can that be? Would it be better for me to send back the P300 and get better Front Speakers or a rear channel instead?

Its hard for me to believe that a 300 watt sub wouldn't be missed if absent from the setup

The P300 is rated @ 300w peak power 100w RMS with a FR that only goes down to 40HZ. The F1's will also go down to 40HZ. I plan on replacing my P300 ASAP probably with HSU. It was useful when I was using my B1's as mains.

Good luck finding your F1's. My understanding is that the Audition Series has not been discontinued but updated. Purely cosmetic changes. Same specs. They are also replacing the P300 & P400 with what looks to be a more powerful series of subs. I do not believe BB will be stocking the new Audition Series when they come out. Thats what I heard, but who knows. BB will be stocking the new WS series.

S

Stevorino

Enthusiast
Bird said:
The P300 is rated @ 300w peak power 100w RMS with a FR that only goes down to 40HZ. The F1's will also go down to 40HZ. I plan on replacing my P300 ASAP probably with HSU. It was useful when I was using my B1's as mains.

Good luck finding your F1's. My understanding is that the Audition Series has not been discontinued but updated. Purely cosmetic changes. Same specs. They are also replacing the P300 & P400 with what looks to be a more powerful series of subs. I do not believe BB will be stocking the new Audition Series when they come out. Thats what I heard, but who knows. BB will be stocking the new WS series.
hmmm, so in other words, the F1's are gonna hit the same frequencies...just at a lesser power?

J

JJMP50

Full Audioholic
Stevorino said:
hmmm, so in other words, the F1's are gonna hit the same frequencies...just at a lesser power?
Or about the same. The F1's "power" will be a function of your receiver. Your Yamaha is rated @ 85WPC. Yamaha is pretty conservative in their power ratings. I love my Athenas but the sub isn't quite up to snuff or rather it was designed for a small HT system. A good sub should get down to 20hz-25hz.

ducker

ducker

Full Audioholic
From what I've heard from other people that have listened to my F2's they seem to strongly suggest getting a sub regardless on the fact that the Loudspeakers will extend that low.

the F's do not have a dedicated midrange. Forcing the towers to play that wide of a range will cause performance/quality to take a hit.

When using a sub/crossover, you free up your towers for the mid frequencies. As the lowest frequencies are the most demanding/power hungry, freeing up your towers from the lower frequencies will provide you with stronger mids.

S

Stevorino

Enthusiast
haha, so I'm sorta getting mixed advice now...or at least it seems so.

I understand both points (of ducker and bird), both make sense-- but which one is right-- and would the money be better spent elsewhere?

The F1's are still on backorder and the Sub isn't here yet (and will be returned if needed)--So if there is a better solution than keeping my current setup, please advise-- or at least come to a conclusion with what to do with the sub:)

I appreciate all the help thus far, guys-- keep it coming :)

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Send the sub back if you can. The subs are the weak chink in athena's armor. You can do way better for the money. Right now soundcity.com is clearing out some Velodyne 3750 subs for what amounts to about $280 delivered. That sub isn't perfect but it's a great deal for the price and it has a remote plus some really cool features. If you can shell out $500 I'd suggest an HSU VTF-2, or for less you can build one yourself. That Velodyne is a good deal, and probably cheaper than the Athena sub.

ducker

ducker

Full Audioholic
I'm just telling you what I heard and how I feel.

The general consensus was that the P300, and P400 were underpowered Subs, lacked quality sound, aren't very clear/tight. If you want a Sub go with something good... Which will be a bit pricey. So instead of buying a so-so sub in the $200-$300 range, I dumped $400+ for a SVS.

I'm still happy with my decision today. I doubt I would value that $100+ saved if I purchased the Athena sub... Their speakers are great, but sub leaves a bit to be desired. Even the Best Buy I dropped by and listened to the system didn't have the F1's paired with the P300/P400... it was with some Sony Sub!!!

S

Stevorino

Enthusiast
hmmm, i'll see what I can do about returning the sub and getting a better one-- sounds like everyone is in agreement that Athena's sub isn't the prime choice here.

As for getting a new one-- I'm pretty tight to what i was spending- it'd definately have to be under 300 including shipping for the sub-- any and all suggestions are appreciated :)

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
That Velodyne 3750 I told you about usuall retails for $500. Here's a link for you to check it out link to sub . A lot of guys on this site suggest a DIY kit but that isn't for me, if it says in less than an hour then that is the amount of time it takes me to get so angry I trash everything. Here's another good deal for you, should be about 200 shipped. Bic Sub . Just a couple of options. Let us know how it all goes.

S

Stevorino

Enthusiast
Takeereasy said:
That Velodyne 3750 I told you about usuall retails for $500. Here's a link for you to check it out link to sub . A lot of guys on this site suggest a DIY kit but that isn't for me, if it says in less than an hour then that is the amount of time it takes me to get so angry I trash everything. Here's another good deal for you, should be about 200 shipped. Bic Sub . Just a couple of options. Let us know how it all goes.
Thanks for the suggestions, they both sound great!

Does it matter that the first of the two is refurbished?

Whats the deal with the DIY sub kits?

J

JJMP50

Full Audioholic
Sub Kits

Check out Parts Express. They have a lot of DIY stuff. Most of it's a little complicated for most, but the Sub Kits (Dayton) look pretty simple. It's a lot of savings if you don't mess it up.........:)

They won't let me post the URL for some reason but you can figure it out. It's logical.

S

Stevorino

Enthusiast
Bird said:
Check out Parts Express. They have a lot of DIY stuff. Most of it's a little complicated for most, but the Sub Kits (Dayton) look pretty simple. It's a lot of savings if you don't mess it up.........:)

They won't let me post the URL for some reason but you can figure it out. It's logical.
hmmmm, looks like a DIY project I'd rather skip :) Thanks for the info though

So which of those two subs that takeereasy suggested would you all suggest too?

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
I have a theory about refurbs, if they are direct from the manufacturer and have a valid, and full warranty they are the best deal you're going to get. If they are from someone other than the manufucturer then they had better be free or so cheap as to make it a non issue if the product breaks. That Velodyne would be fine, I'd put money on it. As for which is better can't tell ya, look on velodynes and bic's sites for info, and hit a dealer to find out for sure.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis