Best Bookshelf Speakers Under $1000 USD

D

DJ_Stunna

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>As the title suggests, I would like your opinion on what is the best speaker for $1000 US or under. I have a good subwoofer, so bass response isn't an issue. (Thus I'd prefer a bookshelf speaker or passive mini-monitor because it will give me more quality audio for my buck.)
Right now I have a pair of Axiom M2i speakers that I use with my sub. I'm not unhappy with them, but I just feel the need to buy speakers, and I want to be sure that I will be happy with them and that nothing better exists for under $1000 US.

Thanks for your help.
-will

PS. I will be using a Denon AVR-5800 receiver with the speakers and using its integrated DACs in conjunction with my NEC 602 caddy transport.  I mainly listen to rock, jazz, and classical.</font>

A

abe

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>if you don't mind buy used.......

First thing coming to my mind is Dynaudio Contour 1.3 MkII which you can get a little over 1k on Audiogon.   Dynaudio is the best speaker maker in the world, period.  Their sound is natural, uncolored, open and dynamic ..... -- everything HiFi stands for.  I'd highly recommed Contour 1.3SE (~2k used)though if you can squeeze more $ somewhere.  They can be you monitor for life!

Depending on your tastes, ProAc Response 1 SC(&gt;= $1k used) is also wonderfull little mintor that can generate huge sound stage.  A little warm in my taste, but preferred by others as more 'musical'.

Once you audition them, you will not come anywhere near of other speakers -- they are THAT good.

Abe</font>

E

EdR

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>How are you currently mounting your M2i's?  I just got a pair, and first put them on a mantel over the fireplace with about an inch- to inch and a half clearance for the ports in back.  They sounded like very good bookshelves.  

I then moved them to speaker stands with plenty of breathing room- about 4' from the front walls, and 4' from one side and about 6' from the other.  The difference was astounding.  These speakers did the rather neat trick of disappearing.  That is, with my eye's closed, I could not point to the speakers at all, only to the original instruments and voices.  The effect was of a huge sound stage in the front of the room, one that distinctly moved past the speaker locations- for example,  I distinctly heard a piano placed about two feet to the right of the right speaker.  There is pinpoint localization, with my eyes closed I can point to individual instruments (on a good CD) within inches.

This is with low end electronics- I'm currently using the analog outs of a low end Sony DVD player as the CD source- you gotta admit, not exactly audiophile, running into my recycled Onkyo receiver that was just replaced in my HT by a Yamaha VX-R2400.  For $300, three years ago, it's pretty clean, but still, hardly the best.  Given what I'm hearing with the speakers driven like this, I can't help but wonder how they'd sound fronting better electronics and sources.

Gene tested the Von Schweikert VR-1's and concluded that they were an excellent value at a grand for the pair.  I'd be very interested in a comparison!!</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>B&amp;W Nautilus 805....

These are the best sounding bookshelf speakers I have ever heard! I just can't afford 'em! OOPS! These are 999 each. That must be why they are the best sounding bookshelves I have ever heard!

Lookhere:

If you want to save some cash like I did, MB Quart has a fine bookshelf model QL-S530. They will give you a free 30 day in home test with no questions asked! And, they are on sell for $719.20, reg. $899.00!

here:</font>

D

DJ_Stunna

Enthusiast
<font color='#0000FF'>Thanks for the replies guys! &nbsp;I'll look into the speakers mentioned when it comes time for me to upgrade.

Thank you especially to EdR for bringing to my attention placement... I had them placed properly prior (on bricks raised off a desk and more than a foot from any wall), but I never used damping behind the main channels. &nbsp;I draped a comforter behind my speakers and desk area and now it sounds so much clearer and more open.

I also put my subwoofer in between the two main channels, and that improved sound quality dramatically. &nbsp;Thanks to this, the time to upgrade will be in a few years, and not at the moment. =]</font>

E

EdR

Audioholic
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
DJ_Stunna : <font color='#000000'>Thank you especially to EdR for bringing to my attention placement... ..........Thanks to this, the time to upgrade will be in a few years, and not at the moment. =]</font>
<font color='#000000'>Glad to be of help.
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis