Best Blackout Curtains

bigbassdave

bigbassdave

Full Audioholic
I have one window in my room that I want to completely blackout if possible. I'm looking for recommendations on the best blackout curtain available. Thanks!

HexOmega

HexOmega

Audioholic
I have one window in my room that I want to completely blackout if possible. I'm looking for recommendations on the best blackout curtain available. Thanks!
Hey Dave,

I work at night and sleep during the day, so keeping our bedroom dark during the day was a priority for me as well, albeit with a different purpose.

Anyway, we bought some light-blocking insulated curtains from Bed Bath & Beyond and they seem to be working pretty well. In addition to blocking tons of light, the bedroom is also the warmest room in our apartment.

They come in multiple colors, but here is an example in White:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=113125

Bear in mind you'll have to seal the curtain to the wall or otherwise fill in the small gap between the window frame and curtain fabric.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You can get blackout shades at Lowes stores. Fur curtains, while you can buy blackout or heavy weight curtains, it is best to get curtains you are really happy with then go ahead and pick up some blackout cloth from a fabric store and attach it to the back of the curtain. This ensures the opaqueness of ANY curtain you purchase and allows you to get a curtain that is a true match from the room as you (or your other) requests.

If you go 'long' and 'wide' on the curtains it will do a pretty good job. But, combinging blackout shades WITH drapes will do one heck of a job getting a room near pitch black on a sunny day.

G

Guavamanh

Junior Audioholic
thanks for the advice, can't believe I never thought of that... I'll run it by the boss and see what she says ;)

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
i have pieces of cardboard cut to fit the window. works great. and easy to install/remove. and free

bigbassdave

bigbassdave

Full Audioholic
Great ideas thanks. I'm talking these over with my wife as I type this

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Speaking from experience, if it's a loosely hanging curtain which will in fact be opened up for the window time to time, you will still have light bleed from the reflection off the BOC or whatever. If it's never going to be opened, seal the window with whatever, such as BOC. You can find BOC at Joann's if it's cheaper there for you, or that you live close enough to one. They'll have it on a roll, and if you have a coupon, it'll probably be very affordable.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis