Best and cheapest progressive scan DVD player

Vancouver

Vancouver

Full Audioholic
I just spent all my money on a Plasma and my old Denon DVD-800 which is not progressive scan is all i have to play movies. I am saving up for a 2910, but it will be a few months until I can buy one.

In the mean time I want to buy a progressive scan player which will kick as on the one I have and is cheap...like 200-300 CDN (200-250 USD). Any suggestions would geatly help as I don't know where to start.

If I buy Denon I can get $75-100 trade in at the store I normally buy with, so would this be good?
http://www.denon.ca/html/product_display.asp?id=207

or would my money go further somewhere else?

Vancouver

Vancouver

Full Audioholic
good suggestion....will picture quality vary much between models at this price range?

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
it seems like once you get above $ 70, the picture is really competitive until you go up over about $ 300. most of the extras in the $ 70 to 300 range seem to be in features, rather than picture quality.

Vancouver

Vancouver

Full Audioholic
I bought a Toshiba SD-3860 $89 CDN

It has 1 great feature that all DVD players should have...especially high end ones. There is a button on the remote call progressive and it switches the video ouput between 480i and 480p. I love it because it shows you ou the imediate difference between the picture quality when switching back and forth. Anyway it has made my new panasonic Th42PX20 plasma much more enjoyable, and this will last until i can save up for a Denon 2910 I plan to buy end of Jan.

I have a question. Anyone know how much an average progressive scan DVD player went for 3 years ago? When I bought my Denon DVD 800 (not progressive scan) i think I paid about 400-500 CDN.

I guess I am asking how much would the progressice scan DVD player I just bought for $89 go for 3 years ago?

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
Hi,
As a new Plasma owner, I would suggest you visit the Canadian www.keohi.com, HDTV section. This site is where some of our best ISF'rs hang and my friend and ISF'r Extraordinaire Michael TLV (Michael Chen) has a review of a couple of inexpensive players that will uprez you dvds to 1080i or 720p.

In his review of the LG or in the us Zenith 318 he mentions A/Bing the LG with a Tosh 65H80 through a video scaler and an SDI Modded Panasonic rp82 using the two component inputs. It's my set he's talking about and I was there for the test and agree with his opinion.

If any of the reviewd players interest you, maybee you can take yours back.

Peter m.
PS: Even though he's in Calgary he goes to Vancouver to calibrate sets a couple of times a year. Same with Toronto my home town.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis