best 4K streaming device / software Jump to Latest

M

MasonSafari

Audioholic Intern
Hi All,
I need to ask this questions best streaming device / software for 4k Contents :

I have all my 4k contents in my Synology DS 1019+ NAS , and I have OLED LG 65" and also EPSON tw-9400

As unfortunately I have bright walls , the quality I get the 4k contents streaming is very important for my projector : so far I have tried :

- Plex player in my PC and NAS
- Plex and Infuse in Apple TV
- Plex in Roku
- Plex in Amazon Fire TV Stick

I was happy how smoothly infuse could play my files directly with no transcending but I could get the lowest quality in colour and contrast ... the other devices pretty much the same only apple TV was a bit better ...

then recently I bought a Sony Blueray player just in case I get some blueray to play ... it is UBP-X700... I have some Marvel 4k and the quality is much better than any of my 4k contents I played using above method... then I thought just use the Network player in the Sony UBP-X700... oh God, I couldn't believe it ...the same content I played using above methods even in apple TV , played in Sony in much much better quality both in colours, clarity and contrast specially with my current room it was much enjoyable with the least wash out...

then I wonder, what Sony is using as player...although it is primitive in many ways ( searching the contents is a pin, has some issue with the Audio of some format , has issue with subtitle...) but it is my favourite even with difficulty so I guess what I want to ask is : anyone knows which player Sony is using and do we have something similar as stand alone software so I can install in any of my player ? if for example Plex could get the same player and mix their all abilities with Sony video quality , it would be the ultimate streamer...

I appreciate if you let me know what you think and if I should try any other software or device?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Nvidia Shield-TV worth trying if you're looking for best 4k player

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks
I think Nvidia Shield is the only one I havent tried...then which player you recommend ? plex ?
also could you confirm you are referring to the below one ?
Plex media client should be fine. You may want to compare it vs a native client like VLC Player (available on many platforms)
Yes, this is the pro edition of the shield-tv updated hardware.
On the difference:

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Plex media client should be fine. You may want to compare it vs a native client like VLC Player (available on many platforms)
Yes, this is the pro edition of the shield-tv updated hardware.
On the difference:
Been using the Shield TV as my main medial player since it came out. Was using HTPCs before that and I'm very happy with the decision to move to Shield TVs.

Plex medial player is nice and does everything most everyone needs it to, but you can also set up Kodi which is much more powerful when it comes to skinning and add-ons, but you can still use the plex back end setting up plexkodiconnect. I do that on my HTPC that is in the theater because I need HDR-SDR conversion for my 1080p projector. If you have all 4K displays, then you'll experience no issues.

It's also one of the only streaming players that support all of the audio codecs. Meaning a lot of the others will transcode the audio to DD+ which is not ideal.

M

MasonSafari

Audioholic Intern
Thanks all for all inputs .
actually I noticed that the Sony UBP-X700 has 4k SR while my apple TV was 4k HR , when I changed the apple TV to SR then I got much better results from sppeciilay VLC and both Plex player and Infuse ...perhaps as SR is not brighter it suits my environment ( white walls) ...( but HR and even Dolby vision much better on my OLED TV) ...

last night I noticed another issue :
I watched a black and white movie via my projector and it was in 1080p... again in my humble Sony UBP-X700 , I had a very smooth picture which I believe its been properly upscale to 4k , then I watched it with plex in apple TV, then VLC , then Infuse ...and with all I could seen the pixels so as if they failed to upscale to 4k, not sure if its Apple TV issues or those player's... please see pictures, which I hope I could capture this... I would chose the UBP-X700 and forget the rest if it could have 3 things : - could get audio for all formats , practical search ( from my thousands files) and also subtitle...
so which I would say device ( or software) can have proper 4k up scaling like UBP-X700 ? can N Shield TV , Zappiti or Odroid do that?

if I could add the capabilities of all other players and media management with the quality of UBP-X700 and then I could have the ultimate solution and then just focus on the main things which is watching movies

11.png

12.png

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I don't have that issue at all using Plex and the Shield TV so it may be a plex+apple tv issue. I'd look at the plex forum and see if there is a setting that is causing that issue. It shouldn't be happening though.

M

Methodical

Audioholic
Thanks all for all inputs .
actually I noticed that the Sony UBP-X700 has 4k SR while my apple TV was 4k HR , when I changed the apple TV to SR then I got much better results from sppeciilay VLC and both Plex player and Infuse ...perhaps as SR is not brighter it suits my environment ( white walls) ...( but HR and even Dolby vision much better on my OLED TV) ...

last night I noticed another issue :
I watched a black and white movie via my projector and it was in 1080p... again in my humble Sony UBP-X700 , I had a very smooth picture which I believe its been properly upscale to 4k , then I watched it with plex in apple TV, then VLC , then Infuse ...and with all I could seen the pixels so as if they failed to upscale to 4k, not sure if its Apple TV issues or those player's... please see pictures, which I hope I could capture this... I would chose the UBP-X700 and forget the rest if it could have 3 things : - could get audio for all formats , practical search ( from my thousands files) and also subtitle...
so which I would say device ( or software) can have proper 4k up scaling like UBP-X700 ? can N Shield TV , Zappiti or Odroid do that?

if I could add the capabilities of all other players and media management with the quality of UBP-X700 and then I could have the ultimate solution and then just focus on the main things which is watching movies

View attachment 38476

View attachment 38477
The first image looks like it has a lot noise reduction applied; it looks like a mannequin. The 2nd image, while grainy/noisy, has more detail.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I still like HTPCs. I have a 4K HTPC now and I love it. My wife's system uses a 2K HTPC. I personally hate remotes, and wish I could control every device from a remote computer wireless key board.

This is a statement that would concern me about Nividia. If this is so, I would not consider the device.

[You need to go online, and register this device to a google account before you can use it. But once it is setup, you cant use google chrome, or any other web browser.]

I have to be able to put up any web browser in my TVs.

Personally I can't imagine ever being without an HTPC and DAW for that matter. I use a VPN a lot. I'm using a tunnel to the Amazon server in London currently.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis