Belden 1860a: worth the money?

S

stonemarten

Junior Audioholic
dear experts,

I need to buy the cable for my speakers (large floorstanding): they will run around 500W of power and are 3 meters far from the amps.

I see a LOT of comments/article where a standard lamp cord is equivalent, with different "scientific" explanations.
So, do you think that a 7$ a meter (here where I leave) is justified? Do I need a twisted cable or a straight (cheaper) cable is equivalent?
Is the Oxygen Free Copper necessary? this specific cable use standard one

thanks for the inputs

cheers

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
From an interference point of view, a twisted pair is always better.

S

stonemarten

Junior Audioholic
ok thanks... maybe I will take a "cheap" straight oxygen free copper and twist by myself :)

cheers

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
ok thanks... maybe I will take a "cheap" straight oxygen free copper and twist by myself :)

cheers
I wouldn't bother with twisting. I use just the plain cable and it works just as good.

S

stonemarten

Junior Audioholic
Ended up buying the Audio Technica OFC 2.5mm not twisted for 3$ per meter... looks good to me, even based on the review

cheers

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Ended up buying the Audio Technica OFC 2.5mm not twisted for 3$ per meter... looks good to me, even based on the review

cheers
Little highish on price but should do the job just fine.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
I wouldn't bother with twisting. I use just the plain cable and it works just as good.
Twisting is only about interference. You have to be in the wrong place at the wrong time for it to matter. On the other hand it's almost free.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Twisting is only about interference. You have to be in the wrong place at the wrong time for it to matter. On the other hand it's almost free.
Time is money so its never free. :)

M

matthew1907

Audiophyte
You can find it on amazon . It ıs not expensive but has great functıons.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
And it won't do anything for speaker level signal :)
Jim Brown the AES go to expert on EMI/RFI thinks that it can.

Antenna Action The most fundamental cause of radio interference to other systems is the fact that
the wiring for those systems, both inside and outside the box, are antennas. We may call them
"patch cables" or "speaker cables" or "video cables" or "Ethernet cables," or printed circuit traces,
but Mother Nature knows that they are antennas! And Mother Nature always wins the argument.

From the first page of:

A Ham's Guide to RFI, Ferrites, Baluns, and Audio Interfacing
by Jim Brown K9YC
Audio Systems Group, Inc.
http://audiosystemsgroup.com

The basis of this tutorial is a combination of my engineering education, 55 years in ham radio, my
work as vice-chair of the AES Standards Committee working group on EMC, and extensive research
on RFI in the pro audio world where I’ve made my living.

http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Jim Brown the AES go to expert on EMI/RFI thinks that it can.

Antenna Action The most fundamental cause of radio interference to other systems is the fact that
the wiring for those systems, both inside and outside the box, are antennas. We may call them
"patch cables" or "speaker cables" or "video cables" or "Ethernet cables," or printed circuit traces,
but Mother Nature knows that they are antennas! And Mother Nature always wins the argument.

From the first page of:

A Ham's Guide to RFI, Ferrites, Baluns, and Audio Interfacing
by Jim Brown K9YC
Audio Systems Group, Inc.
http://audiosystemsgroup.com

The basis of this tutorial is a combination of my engineering education, 55 years in ham radio, my
work as vice-chair of the AES Standards Committee working group on EMC, and extensive research
on RFI in the pro audio world where I’ve made my living.

http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf
But, this is rarely a problem on the speaker cables because the signal is so large. It's the S/N not just the noise that is important.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
That's not how it works.
Just read the first part of the Jim Brown paper.
I read it and it makes sense.

But let me put my argument a different way. I have NEVER used a twisted pair for speaker cables, I have never had a problem either. No need to solve a problem that does not exist in my system.

On the other hand, I always use a twisted pair to run from the preouts on my car head unit to my sub amps. That has tended to work better and less noise for me.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis