Behringer Feedback Destroyer

T

TRUCKGUYGMC23

Audioholic Intern
I got a BFD for christmas to tame my sub down. The idea for wanting one of these came from The BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide that I found on the net. It explained how to set up this unit with a home sub in plain english. Now the site is down.. anyone know of how to possibly get a hold of the publisher of the site or would anyone possibly have printed out the instructions? Any help would be appreciated. Merry Christmas!!!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
TRUCKGUYGMC23 said:
I got a BFD for christmas to tame my sub down. The idea for wanting one of these came from The BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide that I found on the net. It explained how to set up this unit with a home sub in plain english. Now the site is down.. anyone know of how to possibly get a hold of the publisher of the site or would anyone possibly have printed out the instructions? Any help would be appreciated. Merry Christmas!!!

Sorry, don't know about the site but what is this supposed to do and help you with a sub? An EQ I would know, but this? Sounds like a solution looking for a problem ;)

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Too bad the site is down. For those who haven't used one, the DSP-1124P is a superb peice of budget gear, and it's power & flexibility is surpassed only by the incredible uselessness of it's user manual. It reads like it was written in Sanskrit, translated into Latin, then to Japanese, then into English. :rolleyes: The manual is almost unreadable, to put it mildly.

The point of it, 'Crafts, is that the BFD can be configured as a multiband parametric EQ. I don't know of anything even close to it's price that works so well to EQ a subwoofer. The unit's pretty easy to program once you get the hang of it, but you'll never figure it out from the manual.

I think I did print the instructions out, it's just a matter of finding them. I'll have a look after the games tonight.

T

TRUCKGUYGMC23

Audioholic Intern
I think I was able to find the man's email who published the site. I believe it was done by Sonnie Parker. I just sent him an email and hopefully I will hear something back soon! Thanks for your help

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Rob Babcock said:
Too bad the site is down. For those who haven't used one, the DSP-1124P is a superb peice of budget gear, and it's power & flexibility is surpassed only by the incredible uselessness of it's user manual. It reads like it was written in Sanskrit, translated into Latin, then to Japanese, then into English. :rolleyes: The manual is almost unreadable, to put it mildly.

The point of it, 'Crafts, is that the BFD can be configured as a multiband parametric EQ. I don't know of anything even close to it's price that works so well to EQ a subwoofer. The unit's pretty easy to program once you get the hang of it, but you'll never figure it out from the manual.

I think I did print the instructions out, it's just a matter of finding them. I'll have a look after the games tonight.
Thanks. So then, it is an EQ? Or can act as one?

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
mtrycrafts said:
Thanks. So then, it is an EQ? Or can act as one?
Yes, it is a multiband parametric E.Q., stereo, digital. About $130 USD last time I checked -- Excellent value.

-Chris

B

bikehikefish

Audiophyte
The BFD allows you to format up to 12 filters for your sub. For each filter you specify the frequency, bandwidth and gain(+/-). You can really knock down the nasty peaks and get smooth response. I use it on my Paradigm PS-1000. It was really boomy with a 12db peak at 40 HZ. With this eliminated, I was able to turn up the volume on the sub, and now get smooth, punchy bass from the lowest frequencies up to the 80 Hz cutoff.

Too bad the site is down, it was a great resource.

T

TRUCKGUYGMC23

Audioholic Intern
I was able to locate the "BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide" in an archived file on the net. I was also able to round up the excel file used for computing a frequency graph. If anyone needs this information please feel free to email me at poolkid24@yahoo.com. Thanks for your help and have a great new year!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

WmAx said:
Yes, it is a multiband parametric E.Q., stereo, digital. About $130 USD last time I checked -- Excellent value.

-Chris

What a name for an EQ. No wonder it didn't make sense by the name alone.

If it is digital, where in the chain is it placed? Or, does it have a A/D-D/A in it too?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

bikehikefish said:
The BFD allows you to format up to 12 filters for your sub. For each filter you specify the frequency, bandwidth and gain(+/-). You can really knock down the nasty peaks and get smooth response. I use it on my Paradigm PS-1000. It was really boomy with a 12db peak at 40 HZ. With this eliminated, I was able to turn up the volume on the sub, and now get smooth, punchy bass from the lowest frequencies up to the 80 Hz cutoff.

Too bad the site is down, it was a great resource.

Is that 6 filter on each side if stereo, or can you assign all 12 to one channel?

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

It's a rackmountable peice of pro gear. It's called a 'feedback destroyer' because one purpose of it is to seek out and suppress feedback loops. You have 12 stereo "channels" to work with, and you can mix different effects types. You can have 12 stereo bands of parametric EQ if you like, although using 12 bands of EQ would be an immense amount of work (measuring & adjusting again and again).

I love my Behringer. Few things in my system have had a more profound and positive effect than adding parametric EQ for my subs. Highly recommended.

T

TRUCKGUYGMC23

Audioholic Intern
I got the BFD all hooked up yesterday and played with it a bit. I programmed 2 filters in for my two biggest peaks. This thing is awesome! This has got to be the best "value" for audio equipment period. My sub sounds like it did when I first listened to it at the store. The only thing I couldn't figure out is how to set the input level. In the "BFD Comprehensive Guide" it says to play a cd with lots of bass at the loudest you would play it and adjust the volume control on the receiver's LFE channel until the indicators are in the yellow on the BFD. There is no way that I can get my sub up that high. At a moderate-high level volume the BFD is only registering 2-3 green meters on the indicator. I wish I could use this BFD for my main speakers, too bad I don't have a tape loop function.

B

bikehikefish

Audiophyte
TRUCKGUYGMC23 said:
I wish I could use this BFD for my main speakers, too bad I don't have a tape loop function.
I don't think the BFD is recommended for use on the main speakers, as it is a little "noisy". The noise is insignificant when used for subwoofers.

T

TRUCKGUYGMC23

Audioholic Intern
Results

Here are my results so far...I'm not sure how I'm doing, it definately sounds better. Anyone have any ideas where I might be able to find information on different curves for different types of music?

Attachments

T

TRUCKGUYGMC23

Audioholic Intern
Anyone have any ideas where I might be able to find information on different curves for different types of music?

T

toenail

Audiophyte
I'm curious about how this is configured physically into the sound chain. Assuming it is betwwen sub "out" on receiver and sub "in" on sub amp, what means of connection are used? I was under the impression that there was a single male balanced connection like the one my guitar amp uses. Is there a form of conversion to make this compatible with standard RCA "in" on sub amp?

Az B

Az B

Audioholic
toenail said:
I was under the impression that there was a single male balanced connection like the one my guitar amp uses. Is there a form of conversion to make this compatible with standard RCA "in" on sub amp?
Your impression is correct, (except that 1/4" instrument plugs are not balanced) but there is also a balanced XLR. If you go to a pro audio store, they have cables that have either a male or female XLR connector mated to a male RCA on the other end. I used the Hosa brand, but any quality cable will work fine. They're about $20.

If you're willing you can also DIY the cable. Simply shorting pins 1 & 3 together on the XLR plug or connecting the 1 & 3 wires together on the ring of the RCA connector will do the trick. I believe the directions for how to do this are in the Behringer manual.

T

TRUCKGUYGMC23

Audioholic Intern
So what do you guys think of the graph? The bass is definately tighter, but it seems to be missing some "fullness" to it. Any suggestions?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis