Behringer A500 amp(first Impressions)

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
So I finally got around to testing out the Behringer A500 amp.

I opened the box it came in and was immediately filled with adrenaline. As I pulled it out of the box I realized this was not an ugly machine. Furthermore it exceeded my expectations for appearance. Even today I'm dreaming about the look of that new baby sitting on my rack. It's beautiful and works just fine.

I haven't had any issues with the static noise issue.

The difference in sound is psychological for sure, but I enjoy the positive feeling I get from it running my front speakers through a beautiful piece of solid state machinery. Call me crazy, but you already new that.

Some detractors are the lack of auto-off/auto-on, but considering most appliances stay on these days it's understandable. Though I like the idea of 12v triggers as my wife prefers simplicity. I bought this before we were married and hadn't considered the difficulty for her to use this system. It's got me strongly considering a different route for my DIY sub. Sometimes automation overrides features.

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
I have one. True, it doesn't have any of the convenience toys like the aforementioned auto-off/auto-on, 12v triggers, etc. Most power amps past and present don't have these either. It is still a great amp and I have no need for the extras.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I have one. True, it doesn't have any of the convenience toys like the aforementioned auto-off/auto-on, 12v triggers, etc. Most power amps past and present don't have these either. It is still a great amp and I have no need for the extras.
And I bet the price was great:D

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I had a channel go out on me and would not recommend this amp to anyone any longer. Not sure what the issue is, but my future amps will be DIY anyway.;)

jinjuku

jinjuku

I had a channel go out on me and would not recommend this amp to anyone any longer. Not sure what the issue is, but my future amps will be DIY anyway.;)
Seems kinda harsh. I've seen posters with both Emotiva and B&K with problems, should they swear off those badges?

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
[/COLOR]
Seems kinda harsh. I've seen posters with both Emotiva and B&K with problems, should they swear off those badges?

Agreed. You may have just gotten a lemon. It happens with all manufactures once in a while. I've had it happen to me on rare occasions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Matt34

Matt34

Happened to me as well within two weeks of owning it. I'll stick with the EP-series, haven't heard many issues within that line of amps.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Happened to me as well within two weeks of owning it. I'll stick with the EP-series, haven't heard many issues within that line of amps.
Yeah the EP and Yamaha P series are reliable.

J

ja1182

Audiophyte
Hi everyone,

I have one question regarding the Behringer A500 that I hope you might be able to clear up for me.

I have read conflicting information regarding the terminals. Some have said that the A500 cannot take banana plugs; but others have said that the binding posts can.

Are you able to confirm if banana plugs are accepted by the a500?

Many thanks for your time!

Jaime

jinjuku

jinjuku

Hi everyone,

I have one question regarding the Behringer A500 that I hope you might be able to clear up for me.

I have read conflicting information regarding the terminals. Some have said that the A500 cannot take banana plugs; but others have said that the binding posts can.

Jaime
They will take banana plugs

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
Jinjuku is correct. On mine, all I have to do is carefully pull off the small center cap on the binding post and I have access to the banana plug inputs. it's that easy.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i had 4 of these.

1 bought as a test
3 bought together because the test unit was ok

the last 3 had the 1khz buzz (distortion).

sold all 4. kept my 2 EP2500's though.
so yeah, i'd sooner recommend the EP's or the Yamaha P*500S series.

J

ja1182

Audiophyte
Thanks so much for the info. I'm looking to add an amp to the system because the 667 is starting to struggle!

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Hi everyone,

Jaime
I would not recommend banana plugs for the a500. you can slide them in the binding posts, but I suggest using soldered wire or bare wire.

L

luben46

Audiophyte
i had 4 of these.

1 bought as a test
3 bought together because the test unit was ok

the last 3 had the 1khz buzz (distortion).
thinking of buying one of these, can that buzz be fixed (in case it happens to mine)?

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
thinking of buying one of these, can that buzz be fixed (in case it happens to mine)?
at this unit's price, i don't think it's worth it to have repaired. maybe you can simply return it for a new one if you get that buzz (you can test for it using piano notes)

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
I would not recommend banana plugs for the a500. you can slide them in the binding posts, but I suggest using soldered wire or bare wire.

Great point. That is what I ended up doing.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis