Beginner needing suggestions for upgrading...

K

krock99

Audiophyte
Evening folks, as a complete and utter beginner in all phases "audio" I need some aid in upgrading my current system. My main uses are for tv/movie watching (75%), ps3 (20%) and music listening (5%, but would increase upon upgrading the system.

My current system is as follows:

TV: Samsung 67" HLT6756WX
Receiver: Sony STR-DH800
Speaker: Atlantic Technology FS-4000 soundbar

I would like to go with tower speakers as I don't think I'm getting enough out of this soundbar. Also looking to add surround sounds in the rear as I will be getting some new carpet in January and will be the right time to run the wire. Some suggestions as to speakers would be greatly appreciated.

Any other suggestions about other upgrades (receiver, etc) would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Keith

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum, Keith!

Do you have a budget in mind? There are some Pioneer speakers that folks here are pretty excited about in the ~$100/each category, and there are a lot of speakers at and above that price.

Also, I ran some flat wire under my carpet when it was installed so that I could finally get rid of the wires running around the room. It worked great, and I used wall plates for the speaker connections. If you have any questions about that, just let me know.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Hello. Welcome to the forum :)

We need some more info from you before we can offer our best recommendations that are tailored to your specific needs.

What is your budget?

What are the dimensions of your room?

How do you have your furniture laid out?

There are many many products out there. But it's about matching the right products to your budget and needs.

K

krock99

Audiophyte
Hope this helps

Budget: Will be selling the fs-4000 so would like to be under 1K for the towers and surround. forgot to mention i have a 10' polk sub.

Room setup: 19X17. Ceiling height is 9ft. Will lay out in n/s/e/w config...

I have 2 windows on the north wall with the tv in between them.
fireplace in northwest corner.
2 windows on West well with a couch in between.
couch 12 ft. from television.
Office on east wall.

Room opens up into kitchen.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Ha! Thanks, zieglj01 :p

Krock99, given your $1000 budget, I'd certainly second the Pioneer speaker recommendation!

You'll want the SP-FS52 Towers. They are sold individually, so order 2.

You can complete the 5 speaker set with the matching SP-C22 Center and SP-BS22-LR bookshelf surrounds.

Amazon, Best Buy, Tiger Direct, B&H Photo and Parts-Express are the authorized retailers for these Pioneer speakers. Prices go up and down a little bit, so it's a good idea to check all 5 retailers to see which one of them has the best prices at the moment, and which retailers have them in stock, since they often sell out. Normal retail price is $130 each for the towers, $99 for the Center, and $130 for the pair of bookshelf surrounds. So under $500 for all 5 speakers. And you can sometimes find them on sale for less.

The Pioneer 2nd Generation Andrew Jones speakers are easily the best deal going right now. Gene (founder of Audioholics) just made several posts on Facebook describing his amazement at how good they are for so little money, and I'm in total agreement about that. There will be a full Audioholics review coming. But I can promise there's no better speakers to be had for less money. And you have to pay a good deal more to get a genuine upgrade. These are an easy recommendation :)

With the rest of your money, you have some options. If your current AV Receiver does everything you want it to do, I would strongly lean towards upgrading your subwoofer. With the room being open to the kitchen, you have a large volume of air to fill. Reproducing strong, deep bass is very difficult. It's all about displacement. And there's no cheating physics.

I'm no fan at all of Polk's subs. I'd recommend selling your current Polk subwoofer and that will hopefully give you enough money that you can afford a $550 subwoofer. It might sound crazy to mate 5 Pioneer speakers where all 5 of them cost under $500 with a $550 subwoofer, but I promise you, this is the best way to spend your money.

The subwoofer is what makes it FEEL like you are "at the movies" or listening to live music. It supplies the foundation for all the other sounds. It is your bedrock, and you cannot skimp and still get good results. Upgrading to a truly great subwoofer will utterly transform your system combined with the Pioneer speakers, you won't believe the difference and improvement over what you're hearing currently with your soundbar and less than stellar Polk subwoofer.

I'd recommend either the HSU VTF-2 MK4, or the Outlaw LFM-1 Plus. Given your room size, I'd actually lean towards the Outlaw LFM-1 Plus in this particular case. It has slightly more amplifier power, but not as many tuning options. The VTF-2 MK4's plethora of tuning options are more important in a smaller room size where you will need to compensate for room gain. But in your larger room size - remembering that open floor plan to the kitchen - you're all about needing just sheer output and headroom, and the low end tuning options won't be necessary. So go for the higher Wattage amp with the Outlaw LFM-1 Plus. You mate that $550 subwoofer with the Pioneer speakers and you'll be grinning from ear to ear :D

Last edited:
C

Cobratron

Audioholic Intern
FirstReflections advice is right on. He helped guide my system upgrade. The subwoofer is very important to the overall feel of the system and is worth the extra money.

K

krock99

Audiophyte
Need some additional recommendations

I appreciate the recommendation on the pioneer as I will be going with the towers and the center, but i need another recommendation on some smaller but just as good sounding rears. My wife is not on board with the size of the rears.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Keith

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
I appreciate the recommendation on the pioneer as I will be going with the towers and the center, but i need another recommendation on some smaller but just as good sounding rears. My wife is not on board with the size of the rears.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Keith
These may be a more acceptable size...

Mirage Nanosat Prestige (Black) Single satellite speaker with high-gloss finish at Crutchfield.com

Mirage Nanosat® Single satellite speaker with black brushed aluminum finish at Crutchfield Outlet

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis