Beginner Home Theater System Questions

T

tdmoon

Audiophyte
Hello, all.

I had zero knowledge of home theater systems when I decided to dip my toes into the hobby. Trying to learn as I go but it seems the more I learn the more questions I have. Currently running a 5.1.2 setup using a Yamaha RX-V685 avr and all Polk speakers- Signature s55's as fronts, s35 center, s15 surrounds, t15 rear heights and hts12 sub in a 20'x30'x10' room. All thoughts would be welcome regarding the following:

-Would adding an hts10 sub show much improvement? Or would I need to match with another hts12?
-Would it be better to use front heights rather than the current rears with the Yamaha avr?
-Would the s30 center be an improvement over the s35?
If so(and this may be a dumb question), would s35's be good as height speakers?

Apologies for the long-winded post but any advice would be appreciated.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hello, all.

I had zero knowledge of home theater systems when I decided to dip my toes into the hobby. Trying to learn as I go but it seems the more I learn the more questions I have. Currently running a 5.1.2 setup using a Yamaha RX-V685 avr and all Polk speakers- Signature s55's as fronts, s35 center, s15 surrounds, t15 rear heights and hts12 sub in a 20'x30'x10' room. All thoughts would be welcome regarding the following:

-Would adding an hts10 sub show much improvement? Or would I need to match with another hts12?
-Would it be better to use front heights rather than the current rears with the Yamaha avr?

Lol! Not too windy at all.
Just a couple things.
1) are your .2 height speakers behind you? That’s how I read it. In a 5.1.2 you’d want them just in front of the couch(but in the ceiling) like about directly above where your feet would be if you stuck them out when seated. So yes. It would be better to use as fronts.

2) no. The hts10 won’t do much. It COULD help with room modes. But it will have a different port
tuning/response so it could make things worse with cancellations.
3) that is a wry big room. I would abandon all Polk subwoofers and look at Rythmik, HSU, SVS, PSA etc.

T

tdmoon

Audiophyte
Appreciate that response, good info.

The rear heights are mounted about a foot behind the mlp(couch), about 9' high and at a sharp angle down, pointed toward the couch.

I knew I'd be immediately steered away from Polk subs but I get a great discount through the Polk website from my employer, hence the all Polk system. I've been trying do this on the cheap, especially while in a beginner phase.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Hello, all.

Hello,

That's a large room!

Adding the HTS10 would not be helpful likely, without a means to measure the room response and have a reason for it, even then, its likely underpowered for that size of a room. Your HTS12 is also going to likely be underpowered for that size of a room. I agree with above at this point you may want to start researching superior subwoofers to be able to handle this room size. Depends on your expectations of course. Dual subs with higher output would be a start for this size room (such as some 15's).

I don't think the S30 vs S35 is a significant difference enough to warrant swapping out. If anything, I would look into getting a S55 and having a large matches-the-mains as a center (if your setup can allow for a vertical speaker for a center channel that is). Here's more information on why: LINK

S35 as a height is overkill in many ways. Not a lot of information is going through the extended surround channels. Using them as front heights or rear heights is a preference thing, whatever results in the better sound bubble perception at your listening position(s).

Very best,

T

tdmoon

Audiophyte
Man, that would be great to have equipment like that-hopefully someday-but I'm not in a position to where I can put that much money into a sub before other general needs. I've been thrifty with it; the s15's, t15's, sub, my original avr and original center were all gotten for free through a work awards program. The s55's, the center and my current avr are all I've spent any money on, and those were all bought discounted.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Appreciate that response, good info.

The rear heights are mounted about a foot behind the mlp(couch), about 9' high and at a sharp angle down, pointed toward the couch.

I knew I'd be immediately steered away from Polk subs but I get a great discount through the Polk website from my employer, hence the all Polk system. I've been trying do this on the cheap, especially while in a beginner phase.
I can definitely appreciate the beginner phase thing. We’ve all been there. I still stand by my recommendation to kit use them although the HTD line is better than any polks before it. If you really are determined to use Polk due to the discount, I would use four HTS12’s. Still leaves a lot on the table but that’s what the beginner phase is for!

And if you can, definitely move the heights forward of the LP. In a x.x.2 system, that’s where they are intended to go. In that big space, imo you should have at least 5.1.4, and definitely have room for 7.1.4. In a .2 system since there’s only two height speakers, all of the height info gets sent to them. If you have .4 or .6 heights, you get front to back panning, plus the XYZ placement of objects(if the track uses them). I digress...
For you, I’d shop for big boy subs, or use at least four polks. And move the heights up.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hello,

S35 as a height is overkill in many ways. Not a lot of information is going through the extended surround channels. Using them as front heights or rear heights is a preference thing, whatever results in the better sound bubble perception at your listening position(s).

Very best,
The thing here is, for height/top speakers it’s not really about preference. Unless Dolby changed the spec, the Atmos renderer and DSU works under the assumption that when you only have 2 heights, they’ll be in front. And while it’s harder to place objects with only two height speakers, it does work better to phantom image them out into the room when they’re in front.

T

tdmoon

Audiophyte
I can definitely appreciate the beginner phase thing. We’ve all been there. I still stand by my recommendation to kit use them although the HTD line is better than any polks before it. If you really are determined to use Polk due to the discount, I would use four HTS12’s. Still leaves a lot on the table but that’s what the beginner phase is for!

And if you can, definitely move the heights forward of the LP. In a x.x.2 system, that’s where they are intended to go. In that big space, imo you should have at least 5.1.4, and definitely have room for 7.1.4. In a .2 system since there’s only two height speakers, all of the height info gets sent to them. If you have .4 or .6 heights, you get front to back panning, plus the XYZ placement of objects(if the track uses them). I digress...
For you, I’d shop for big boy subs, or use at least four polks. And move the heights up.
Solid advice, sir, many thanks.

I've been keeping an eye out for a good deal on a nine channel receiver so I could go with four heights. I was too hasty buying the Yamaha avr but my Integra 20.7 died and I couldn't handle listening to tv speakers any longer.

The avr has pre-outs for the front speakers, would an inexpensive amp have any benefit?

I know I'm coming off as a big-time cheapskate but I'm a blue collar guy with a house payment and various other projects to spend on. I'm in the unenviable position of being fascinated with something that I don't have the time or resources to do how I'd really like.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Solid advice, sir, many thanks.

I've been keeping an eye out for a good deal on a nine channel receiver so I could go with four heights. I was too hasty buying the Yamaha avr but my Integra 20.7 died and I couldn't handle listening to tv speakers any longer.

The avr has pre-outs for the front speakers, would an inexpensive amp have any benefit?

I know I'm coming off as a big-time cheapskate but I'm a blue collar guy with a house payment and various other projects to spend on. I'm in the unenviable position of being fascinated with something that I don't have the time or resources to do how I'd really like.
Hah! No worries. I am self employed and have a mortgage and have to feed my kids too. I get it. I also have many interests that I can’t afford lol.
The amp won’t be of much use on the current speakers but if the AVR can process 9ch you could add one and also add another pair of heights. Not sure on that specific AVR without looking.
Also, I believe that you don’t have to have Uber expensive gear to have a good experience. Certainly there are places to spend the lions share, but care to setup and attention to detail will go a long way.

T

tdmoon

Audiophyte
Unfortunately the avr only processes seven channels. It's bugged me ever since I got it!

I had been figuring I'd be better off with the heights in front but wasn't certain. Now I plan on doing so, the input really helped.

I believe my system sounds decent but know it could be a lot better. Unfortunately, it's kind of hard to judge; I'm in a position where I'm often around other people's systems but rarely anything comparable. It seems most everything is really cheap gear(or decent stuff set up horribly) that my system is clearly better than, or top end setups that are clearly better than mine. The bass isn't terrible but is certainly better in some parts of the room than others. I think my main weakness right now is the center channel.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis