Before The Age Of Spell Checkers

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
As a matter of fact, just to show you all what a belligerent curmudgeon I am, I will continue to write 70's instead of '70s, defiantly dropping the required apostrophe before the 7 (based on it being a contraction of 1970) while including the totally unnecessary apostrophe before the s! Ha! Suck it! Now get the f' off of my lawn!
If it's a contraction for the year, shouldn't it have one apostrophe for each number that's missing?

I was in high school in the ''70s and that's how we did it. :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
If it's a contraction for the year, shouldn't it have one apostrophe for each number that's missing?

I was in high school in the ''70s and that's how we did it. :)
That is not the way I learned it.
Just one apostrophe for the two missing numbers.
Certainly, when using a contraction with words, I''''d argue that point with you!
I don't believe I have ever seen two or more apostrophes in a row (aside from being quotes)!

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
My workplace is bad about proofreading signs and notifications before they get out to the public.

1) this was about 10 years ago. Some heavy equipment got installed near a facility so as a warning the roadways were marked "HIGH ИOISE AREA" by spray painting through a template. Problem is, when the template was made, no one noticed that the "N" was backwards. For the years until it was disestablished, we jokingly called that area "Nine Inch Иoise."

2) around the same time frame, there was a high number of near-misses as bikes and trucks were coming hot around corners without heed for pedestrians. Safety division decided to put up warning signs at some of the worst blind spots. "CAUTION: YEILD TO PEDESTRIANS" Well one Friday we were leaving work and we saw that on the one sign closest to our shop someone had written in Sharpie "I before E except after C!" A week or two later the signs disappeared, and were eventually replaced with the correct spelling.

This one is new, as of yesterday in fact! 3) Some spots in one of the parking lots just got sectioned off for reserved parking. In each commandeered space is a sign. "RESERVED PARKING. DO NOT REMOVED SIGN WITHOUT PRIOR AUTHORIZATION."

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
A bakery that was well known for its excellent goods put a sign on the wall, announcing the date they would start taking orders for Christmas stollen. Unfortunately, they spelled it as 'stolen' and there were some pretty sad faces in the place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stollen

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
On the subject of signage, this is probably my favorite (despite proper grammar/spelling):

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
My workplace is bad about proofreading signs and notifications before they get out to the public.

1) this was about 10 years ago. Some heavy equipment got installed near a facility so as a warning the roadways were marked "HIGH ИOISE AREA" by spray painting through a template. Problem is, when the template was made, no one noticed that the "N" was backwards. For the years until it was disestablished, we jokingly called that area "Nine Inch Иoise."

2) around the same time frame, there was a high number of near-misses as bikes and trucks were coming hot around corners without heed for pedestrians. Safety division decided to put up warning signs at some of the worst blind spots. "CAUTION: YEILD TO PEDESTRIANS" Well one Friday we were leaving work and we saw that on the one sign closest to our shop someone had written in Sharpie "I before E except after C!" A week or two later the signs disappeared, and were eventually replaced with the correct spelling.

This one is new, as of yesterday in fact! 3) Some spots in one of the parking lots just got sectioned off for reserved parking. In each commandeered space is a sign. "RESERVED PARKING. DO NOT REMOVED SIGN WITHOUT PRIOR AUTHORIZATION."
At an old job, someone had labeled a cabinet as "Vacume Device", so being the wise arse that I am, I made and installed a label under it that said "Not to be confused with a Vacuum Device".

Another of my favorites, I did myself as a joke, the drawer was labeled "instrument feets"

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I know I am getting far afield here, but this thread reminded me of this 6 second clip from Weird Al's UHF (IIRC).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis