Beck, "Sea Change" SACD

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#000000'>I'd never actually heard Beck before today, but I'm very impressed with &quot;Sea Change.&quot; TAS gave it a 9/10 for sonics and a very positive review, so I decided to take a chance; I'm very glad I did. I've only listened to the MC layer so far, but it's stunning to put it mildly. Certainly one of the best most natural sounding recordings I've ever heard. The MC mix isn't overly hyped, but mostly rather subtle. The bass is astonishing, unbelievable low and tight, very natural and tuneful. This one might nudge Pink Floyd's DSotM SACD MC mix out of 1st place as the best MC remix, IMO.

Musically I like it. If you haven't heard him before, as I hadn't, it's tough to really describe what this his music sounds like. Based on the reviews, this album is a radical departure stylistically for him, anyway. It's very dreamy and surreal, in sort of a twangier Smashing Pumkins way (think Luna or Mayonaisse, or the Piesces Iscariot album).

Well worth a listen if you have the hardware and either like Beck or want to try something new. And the disc is priced at $15 bucks, so you don't have much to lose.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis