Beatles - Love DVD-Audio

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
I received the CD as a stocking stuffer from my father, I didn't know there was a DVD-A of it. Dang.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
moverton said:
Well, got the Beatles Love DVD-Audio, popped it in the player, and psstttt!!!!!
Crackles, hums and pops.
Isn't that just the way the Beatles are supposed to sound? ;)

M

msm55

Audiophyte
Desperate in FL

Hi!

I also bought the CD/DVD version of The Beatles LOVE compilation. I even Re-BUILT my sound system around this album (at least the notion that I would listen to a lot of DVD-Audio/SACD music in the future).

This is what I have:
Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR304
DVD Player: SAMSUNG DVD-HD941 w HDMI
Main Sp.: Altec Lansing 3-way
Center & Surround Sp: Sony
SW: Sony 150-Watt (frequency response: 28-200 Hz)
LCD: SAMSUNG LN-S3251

I know... its modest, but perfect for my small apartment.

Both the DVD player and the receiver have DVD-Audio/SACD capabilities, and BOTH support DOLBY DIGITAL and DTS sound. They also have matching analog outputs/inputs. I bought very good Acoustic Research 6.1 cables for these connections, in order to have analog multi-channel sound from my DVD-Audio sources. (my digital signal is connected via optical cable to the receiver)

The LCD TV is connected through the HDMI.

Three problems:

1) Surround effect is great! But the SubWoofer does NOT work... Tried changing cables with the center (ONLY the cables; NOT connections!!!) Same effect; no SW sound. Hence, problem is NOT in the cables!

2) The on-screen menu on the TV has only play album/Tracks as options; no Audio Options, or DVD-V option. How do I get DTS sound?

3) My receiver tests all 5.1 channels OK; but the DVD player is silent through its own test (in Setup Menu)!
What's more; if I connect the DVD player with the receiver using just the optical cable, there is NO SOUND AT ALL!!! I have to add ANOTHER RCA cable from the Audio OUT of the player, to the Tape IN on the receiver to hear both Dolby Digital and DTS NEo-6 sound, plus the native Listening Modes... VERY odd indeed!

Guys... the sound in this LOVE album is pristine and awe inspiring! You have to hear it to believe it... But it is NOT Surround 5.1; I can tell... Movies, however do sound in full 5.1 surround.

Please, any help is greatly appreciated!

msm55

W

WeAreSurrounded

Audioholic
Hi "Desperate" !

As for your 1) and 3) problems, I think you have to recheck the cable connections and (especially) - the "Digital In" assignments in your receiver.
[I don't really understand how adding extra analog cable could help your digital connection ?]
I am a Denon person and know how to do this in their equipment, it shouldn't be a brainer in your equipment, either ...
I can only assure you that there's indeed the SW track on all different layers of this disc: reg. DVD-A, DolbyDigital and DTS.

As for 2) - it was mentioned already several times on this thread:
-you have to get into your PLAYER'S setup (while the disc is stopped) and configure it as the VIDEO player, not the AUDIO player (in DENONs you do it in "etc" menu)
- only then you start the disc, the FBI logo appears and the AUDIO option is added on the disc's Top Menu (where you can choose PCM stereo, DolbyDigital or DTS - which IMHO sounds really great !)

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
WeAreSurrounded said:
...there's indeed the SW track on all different layers of this disc: reg. DVD-A, DolbyDigital and DTS...you can choose PCM stereo, DolbyDigital or DTS...
I got it! :) Sorry RMK! :eek:, I don't know how I missed the relevant part in the player's menu before.

So, now that I can select DVD-A, Dolby Digital or dts, what's the difference? Aren't Dolby Digital and dts decoders for compressed audio as I noted previously, and wouldn't we then always want to select only DVD-A? :confused:

JVC

JVC

Banned
and wouldn't we then always want to select only DVD-A?
Yes, for those of us with dvd-a capable players.
But most people don't have universal players, and will listen to the DD or DTS tracks. Then, there's some people that listen to music, only in stereo...... :)

R

RMK!

Buckle-meister said:
I got it! :) Sorry RMK! :eek:, I don't know how I missed the relevant part in the player's menu before.

So, now that I can select DVD-A, Dolby Digital or dts, what's the difference? Aren't Dolby Digital and dts decoders for compressed audio as I noted previously, and wouldn't we then always want to select only DVD-A? :confused:

I have a Denon 3910 and can play any of the formats. I suggest that you try the various formats and see what you prefer. I really like the DTS ver on this disk.

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
RMK! said:
I suggest that you try the various formats and see what you prefer.
I tried dts but thought it wasn't as clear as DVD-A so I stuck with the latter.

Of course, it could be all in my head (just for you Mtrycrafts ;)).

W

WeAreSurrounded

Audioholic
Anybody having any real technical issues with this DVD-Audio?

As I mentioned before, I was able to get to all different formats on that disc and play them (loved the DTS version), but sometimes my older DENON DVD 2200 just refuses to load it at all !!!
I mean it just keeps shaking, vibrating and making strange noices (maybe it takes literally the title of it ???), like it couldn't recognize the disc's format.
And it happens in 6 out of 10 tries.
I know that this player is getting older and it starts having some other issues, but this never happened before with any other CD/SACD/DVD_A discs !

Anybody experienced something like this ?

H

Hawkeye

Full Audioholic
Mine works fine as a DVD-A. I never have seen the audio options yet, I guess I can enable the DVD-V option as mentioned earlier but what's the point.. the DVD-A sounds incredible. Oh, and it plays fine on my Pioneer 563a

sleeper

sleeper

Audioholic Intern
I was at HMV, just killing time while the girlfriend shopped. I went over to check the charts, see what's selling. I picked up the Beatles cd after noticing that there was a 5.1 recording on a bonus disc. "Cool", I thought. Upon further inspection I noticed there was a DVD-A multichannel layer as well. "Oh my!" I bought it. Took it home and it sounded great. I'm not a huge Beatles fan, not by a long shot, but I really did enjoy listening to it and reading the liner notes. Highly recommend it.

It played fine on my Pioneer DV-588, btw.

sleeper

S

Svenhook

Audioholic
I am a huge beatles fan. I own all their albums, several on both vinyl and cd. My favorite album is Abbey Road and to find this album made my year. Not only is my favorite band now in high def audio, but it was amaing to find the songs mixed with others. I love spending time listening to it and hearing new parts each time I do and trying to identify which songs are mixed in. My favorite for this is the mix of Strawberry fields. It starts with the Anthology version and gets a bit of the original mixed in and then the transition is simply brilliant featuring clips from a wide assortment of songs including piggies which made me happy. I also really enjoy the A day in the life mix because it starts with the anthology version and slowly transitions to the original until it is completley the studio version.

My only complaint about this album is that a few of the songs were hardly mixed at all and that at times I feel like I'm listening to a greatest hits album. But when I come to a well mixed track like for the benefit of mr kite or drive my car it makes it all better. Overall, definitly one of my top 2 high def audio discs and the best release of '06 if you ask me.

maximoiglesias

maximoiglesias

Audioholic
similar technical problem

WeAreSurrounded said:
Anybody having any real technical issues with this DVD-Audio?

As I mentioned before, I was able to get to all different formats on that disc and play them (loved the DTS version), but sometimes my older DENON DVD 2200 just refuses to load it at all !!!
I mean it just keeps shaking, vibrating and making strange noices (maybe it takes literally the title of it ???), like it couldn't recognize the disc's format.
And it happens in 6 out of 10 tries.
I know that this player is getting older and it starts having some other issues, but this never happened before with any other CD/SACD/DVD_A discs !

Anybody experienced something like this ?
I have experience a similar technical problem with my LG DVD player, not with this disc in particular, but with some others.
This happens when you have closed the disc tray manualy by mistake.
This sometimes changes the aligment of the players lens or beam causing that it does not read certain discs.
Check it out with a good technician.

birdonthebeach

birdonthebeach

Full Audioholic
When I popped the DVD into my MacBook Pro, it had audio options (dts or DD) - I had the optical out of my MacBook Pro going to a 5.1 system. When I brought the disk home and put it into my Rotel DVD player, the menu no longer gave me audio options - the menu item does not even show up!

Now I get it. Since my home dvd player is capable of dvd-audio, it plays it that way by default, I guess. If I had a standard DVD player (not capable of DVD-AUDIO), I could choose between dts or DD....

Hope this clears it up for those of you still confused.

By the way - it sounds AMAZING!!! We will soon have a story posted on the show from Vegas - stay tuned!

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
I finally got around to buying this disc, and I gotta say, the surround mix is mind-bending! Very trippy. If I had any experience with drugs, I'd probably liken the surround mix to being stoned. The mix is also lots of fun, but it's not as crazy as I thought it would be. Can't point to why, but I was led to believe the mixes would be like: lead & backing/harmony vocals from one song, guitars from another, bass from yet another, and drums from still another, all mashed up into one song. Some of the songs didn't even seem "mashed up" to me at all. But overall, it was fun album. It'll be on heavy rotation on my system, that's for sure.

cheers,
supervij

Starmax

Starmax

Full Audioholic
race4aliving said:
I got it for Christmas and really like it alot. I think of it the same way as the DSOM SACD...a new album, not a remix. the songs and mix are so vastly changed from the original versions that if your expecting just a remaster then your going to be shocked, but the only new recording on it are the strings on "while my guitar gently weeps" everything else are from the original Apple masters. if you go into it thinking your going to hear another Beatles Greatest Hits album you will be disapointed... but if you go into it as what it is a NEW Beatles album... something you could imagine the 4 of them doing now with the latest tech. I think you will enjoy it.

P.S. my wife thinks it is the best the system ever sounded.
Strawberry Fields begins with an alternate version as well, with Lennon singing along with an acoustic guitar intro. Somewhere in the middle of the song it seamlessly merges into the popular hit version...an amazing engineering feat!

Starmax

Starmax

Full Audioholic
Lsd

The only cut I was disappointed with was "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds." There is an annoying guitar track added that wasn't in the original version.

C

carlbarry

Audiophyte
I just put in my dis into my Blu ray player. That player and my other Blu ray player will not recognize the disc. Played fine the last time I tried, probably 10 months ago. I guess the disc has failed.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis